Thread: NEW Steve Walsh CD- Black Butterfly

NEW Steve Walsh CD- Black Butterfly

https://www.stevewalshrocks.com/sing...um-in-November

All rested up and too gifted to just sit around and be "retired".

The song posted recently sounded like having some years off from the road freed him of that hoarse rasp that he just couldn't shake completely in the later years of Kansas.

Curious to hear this one. Post any clips you run across.

Wonder if he will tour???

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I'm curious to hear it. I think Glossolalia was a hell of an album. Would love to hear him produce something that good again.

Trent Gardner (RIP) of Magellan fame was the producer of Gloss and responsible for a lot of it's proggy magic. Magic pretty much lacking from it's follow up, Shadowman. If he has a producer with vision, this could be good. If not, it will probably be another round of 80s inspired arena rock. That lead off single sure sounds like it.

But hey, it's great to hear him sing so well again. That's the draw of this new one. For me...

Could be another Yes scenario, 2 bands playing Kansas music in a few years. Maybe he'll add Hope and Steinhardt to his version.

Steve Walsh's Yes with Igor Koroshev, Robby Steinhardt, Tony Levin, Jesse Gress & Jonathan Mover!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

My interest is piqued. I'll be keeping tabs on this as the release date draws nearer.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    My interest is piqued. I'll be keeping tabs on this as the release date draws nearer.
    Same.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

^^ Now, THAT'S a nice cover design.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

Yeah. That's striking.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

This cover is out on the web also - though the record label (Escape Music) still has no mention of this release:

I hope it's better than that last Kansas album. I was disappointed in that. I will check this out. I wonder how Steve's vocal folds are fairing these days. His vocals on those early Kansas albums are absolutely exceptional.

Picked this up this morning (download version from Amazon).

I'm a huge Walsh fan - bordering on apologist -as I still enjoy his current "voice" - but I've had reservations about this release. The clips did nothing for me and more disconcerting was that another singer was tackling multiple tracks. Still not sure what the logic in that was - if I'm being cynical it feels like the record company is trying get some exposure for an artist who may appeal to Walsh/Kansas fans.

My bigger fear was Walsh was having major vocal issues so they had to recruit someone to finish up. This is all in my mind, by the way - but it left me apprehensive about a release I should have been over-the-top excited about.

Having said all that, the first thing I did before listening was get rid of the non-Walsh tracks (will revisit later - no disrespect to Mazza). These leaves a 9 track, 43 minute Walsh solo album. Perhaps my apprehension worked in my favor because after 5 or 6 listens working around the house I'm elated with this release. It's definitely not on the level of Glossolalia but I think I can say without hesitation it's miles ahead of Shadowman.

If you just want to dip your toe I would suggest "Dear Kolinda" and "Tanglewood Tree", the later of which I couldn't help but wonder what Kansas could have done with. Perhaps one of the best chorus's on Walsh solo record.

Consider yourself warned though - this music will appeal to the Walsh fans who spin the Streets records and get a kick out of him belting out hummable choruses. Aside from the occasional instrumental flourish this 'aint progressive rock.

But as these tunes blasted out of my stereo today - with all the recent losses in the music community - I couldn't help but feel great-full that an artist who I consider an all time favorite released new music when most considered him retired and/or past his prime.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Is there any relation to the movie Black Butterfly?

Great review, spot on! It was like hearing from an old friend who just happened(s) to be one of the greatest rock singers ever. He took these middle of the road rock tunes and made them something special with his unique vocals, which sound better than they have in a long time. Rest can do that... The new KS on the other hand is really impressing me instrumentally. The vintage keys are great to hear and the extra guitar in the mix affords some new arrangement/augmentation on the classics. Vocally though it's kinda vanilla compared to Mr Walsh.

So I'm digging the Walsh CD for the vocals and the KS live CD for the music, more or less. Shame they can't merge, but yeah, them days is over so this is what you get this point (of know return). Just glad to have new CDs from both to enjoy this late into their careers.
    Last edited by Sean; 11-11-2017 at 06:48 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ I had a chance to chat with Kansas' keyboard player, Dave Manion, on CTTE 2017, and he seemed like a really down-to-earth guy. The band's manager or something like that was a nice woman with a small "service" dog or "comfort" dog of some sort. The woman said the dog knew all the band members, and the dog was going crazy playing with Dave Manion, licking him, etc. I guess it was the dog's first time seeing him on the ship. It was pretty cute.

Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post
    Could be another Yes scenario, 2 bands playing Kansas music in a few years. Maybe he'll add Hope and Steinhardt to his version.
    With the current Kansas doing 2+ hour shows and not afraid to do some of their more prog oriented pieces (Magnum Opus, Closet Chronicles, Journey from Mariobronn) and Steve Walsh' incarnation doing 75 minute shows covering mostly the hits with maybe a couple of minor prog songs thrown in.

There could be 3 credible versions of Kansas operating simultaneously : the current one, one with Walsh, Steinhardt and Morse, and one with Livgren, Hoppe and Elefante.

Anyone know where can you get this domestically? Sold out on both Amazon and Steve's website. Must have been more demand then they expected. I don't really want to order from the UK if I don't have to. I guess it's that or wait on a repress.