Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arena-New CD 'Double Vision'

I am getting ready to see ARENA Live next weekend in Quebec City, is anyone coming? Americans have a good chance because it's Memorial Day weekend!

My road trip from Halifax is 9 hours each way and I can't hide the excitement building up to showtime on Saturday at the CEGEP Garneau Auditorium (CEGEP means Community College in French acronyms) :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    I am getting ready to see ARENA Live next weekend in Quebec City, is anyone coming? Americans have a good chance because it's Memorial Day weekend!

My road trip from Halifax is 9 hours each way and I can't hide the excitement building up to showtime on Saturday at the CEGEP Garneau Auditorium (CEGEP means Community College in French acronyms) :-)
    They're a great live band!

Hope you have an excellent time!

New album officially released today by the way.

Does Mitchell ever sleep...lol

I've been following John's daily Facebook postings while they're on tour in Europe.
    It seems the theme of the daily routine is "Meat & Cheese!!!". I guess that's the only thing promoters have been feeding them. Quite hilarious as John's writing is also.
    The good news is they filmed a show for a future DVD.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Old man of prog
    Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    New album officially released today by the way.
    Unfortunately underwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    Unfortunately underwhelming.
    I've pretty much thought that about the last couple of albums, but my opinion changes when I see them perform the songs live in concert on DVD.
    Then the hooks get in my head, and I can enjoy the new material.
    I was really upset when Paul took over the new vocal duties, and boycotted them for awhile because of that.
    But now I think he's really a combo of all of the previous singers and adds his own flavor as well, and think he's the best they've ever had.
    In the live concerts he lets the material take the spotlight, and it feels like the band is more of a group, rather then a singer and Arena musicians backing them up.

Thanks for the reminder about the release, going to order.
    EDIT: Ok, the US release date is June 1.
    Last edited by Top Cat; 05-25-2018 at 01:52 PM.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Would be interested in reviews. It's been out a couple of weeks now.

Quote Originally Posted by saucyjackstl View Post
    Would be interested in reviews. It's been out a couple of weeks now.
    There are quite a few floating around if you care to look

http://theprogressiveaspect.net/blog...-double-vision

http://www.dprp.net/reviews/2018-040

Me? I rather like it, but Arena has always been a guilty pleasure of mine, despite their occasional cheesy leanings. This one is reminiscent of Pepper's Ghost for several reasons: they are both slightly heavier than the band's usual standard, and they both have slight operatic/musical/victorian leanings, particularly on the epic track. There's nothing new here from Arena, but for me they are back to what they do best on the last couple albums after the misstep of Seventh Degree of Separation (IMO).
    Last edited by LeFrog; 06-26-2018 at 04:06 PM.

My copy is on it's way via post, should be here any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I've pretty much thought that about the last couple of albums, but my opinion changes when I see them perform the songs live in concert on DVD.
    Then the hooks get in my head, and I can enjoy the new material.
    I was really upset when Paul took over the new vocal duties, and boycotted them for awhile because of that.
    But now I think he's really a combo of all of the previous singers and adds his own flavor as well, and think he's the best they've ever had.
    In the live concerts he lets the material take the spotlight, and it feels like the band is more of a group, rather then a singer and Arena musicians backing them up.

Thanks for the reminder about the release, going to order.
    EDIT: Ok, the US release date is June 1.
    I feel the exact same way. That's why I have more Arena Concert DVD's than albums.

Could the "generic" quality in their music be due to the fact that John Mitchell is possibly on every new Prog release?
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Could the "generic" quality in their music be due to the fact that John Mitchell is possibly on every new Prog release?
    Don't know what you mean by the generic quality in their music. All I can say is that they've mostly kept to their own sound for the last 20 years long before JM was on every new prog release.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Don't know what you mean by the generic quality in their music.
    I do.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I do.
    Does this mean that 'John Mitchell' indeed does appear on just about every single new prog release, Moe? I mean, I tend to purchase a rather galant amount of new releases every year or so, yet still 'John Mitchell' tends to not feature on any of them - in fact, null and void. Does this imply that my purchases aren't prog releases? Perhaps he should have been included? Maybe 'John Mitchell' was invited, but didn't show up? How would they all have sounded if only 'John Mitchell' had blessed them with his presence? Like the allround 'John Mitchell' signature?

It's a complete conundrum.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Does this mean that 'John Mitchell' indeed does appear on just about every single new prog release, Moe? I mean, I tend to purchase a rather galant amount of new releases every year or so, yet still 'John Mitchell' tends to not feature on any of them - in fact, null and void. Does this imply that my purchases aren't prog releases? Perhaps he should have been included? Maybe 'John Mitchell' was invited, but didn't show up? How would they all have sounded if only 'John Mitchell' had blessed them with his presence? Like the allround 'John Mitchell' signature?

It's a complete conundrum.
    Actually, it means that "generic" is a perfect description of what these guys do.

Going to listen to my generic cd of Double Vision by Arena tonight, topped off with a few generic cold beers.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Going to listen to my generic cd of Double Vision by Arena tonight, topped off with a few generic cold beers.
    I'm going to leave my generic Immortal? CD on the shelf, where it's been for long eons of time, and listen to or watch something else, while enjoying some craft beers.

Jon Neudorf
    I'm going to sit on my deck with a cold beer (kokanee) and listen to the new Spock's Beard. Right now...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    "STFU, and call me when John Michell has been on as many albums as me..."

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    I'm going to sit on my deck with a cold beer (kokanee) and listen to the new Spock's Beard. Right now...
    I'm gonna sit outside with a Raging Bitch (or maybe two) tonight and look again to see if there is a 2nd CD in my copy of Double Vision by Arena.

JUST CAME IN:
    ARENA QUEBEC SHOW MARCH 30 POSTPONED

I received this e-mail from the ticket vendor today:

Arena in Quebec reported:

Dear clients,

As a result of circumstances beyond our control, we must postpone the Arena Group show to a later date. The new date will be communicated by Monday. We are sorry for the inconvenience this change may cause.

That's it. So the only Arena show in North america this year is postponed and maybe cancelled, we'll see. My plans will change, rats!