Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nektar rumour

Nektar rumour

Just heard rumour about them touring next yr. WTH would be fronting?? Lol

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

It hinted at that at the old nektar music.com website

from the official site nektarsmusic.com

"nektar lives!

We would like to thank all of you for all of your support throughout the years.

After Roye`s passing last summer it has been quiet on the website as the remaining band members Ron, Tom and Klaus had to come to terms with this grievous blow.

It seems an impossible task to fill the gap that Roye left.
    His vocals and his guitar-play, as well as his composing style, have always been a huge part of Nektar.

Yet, knowing these are very big shoes to fill, we are still looking forward to keeping the Nektar flag flying by transporting the spirit of Nektar's music to the live stage. We are sure Roye would have wanted it this way.

Meanwhile we are excited to announce the release of
    "Nektar – live in Bremen".
    A double CD of the last live recording with Roye Albrighton at the famous ''Meisenfrei'' club in Bremen, Germany, during the European Tour of 2015.

We feel this is Roye's Farewell to all you dear Nektar Fans. It has great energy and projects what we all felt that night: Our love for Nektar and life.

Although this is the last recording of Roye, his presence will always continue to glow in our hearts, whether on or off stage.

We look forward to your continued support and to see you all soon in the near future.

You can order the "Nektar – live in Bremen" double CD by clicking following links:

http://www.sireena.de

Buy Here
    https://www.amazon.de/Live-Bremen-Nektar"

Well, not the first time. The american Dave Nelson from the band "New Riders of the Purple Sage" recorded with Nektar the album "Magic is a Child" in 1977. But the performances of Roye songs on the tour was quite "different":

" Nelson replaced a longstanding lead guitarist, Roye Albrighton -- band folklore tells of Nelson "working his ass off" learning Albrighton's complex progressive rock riffs, a condition that, if permanent, would create great difficulty for Nelson in the business world if he needed to sit down at a desk. " - Allmusic

"1977:

Although the "shot heard around the world" was a shock for the fans, the band knew Roye's departure coming. Word went out just before Roye left that Nektar was looking for a new guitarist. About 100 people showed up on the day of the cattle call, to show off their guitar and vocal skills for the remaining band members and management to interview.

One of the persons who showed up was Dave Nelson. On a side note; It didn't hurt that Dave was hanging around Passport Records when all of this was happening. It was decided that Dave was best person to go with when all was said and done. During the next two weeks (which included Christmas) intense rehearsals were held and Dave quickly learned Nektar songs. On December 31, 1976 at the Calderone Theatre in Hempstead, Long Island, New York, Dave replaced Roye Albrighton onstage to perform guitar and vocals. For more on the December 31, 1976 concert please visit our New Year's Page!

During the first half of 1977 Nektar played just a few gigs. This allowed Dave Nelson some time to become more familiar with the material. During this time Nektar was also working on a new album "Magic is a Child". A young Brooke Shields graces the cover of the album instead of familiar artwork designed by Helmut Wenske on the previous albums. Robert Fripp contributed some guitar work on "Train from Nowhere". Steve Barth rehearsed with Nektar during the summer of 1977 and at one point in time Nektar considered bringing Steve in as the lead vocalist however, that never happened.

The June 3, 1977 show at the Palladium, New York City, NY. was Nektar's last long concert and the end of Mick's fantastic light show as fans knew it. September 24, 1977 at the Morris Stage, Morristown, New Jersey, Nektar debut the "Magic is a Child" album and Mick's new light show. From this point on, all Nektar shows were short in comparison to prior shows not to mentioned the dramatic change in the light show. More on Mick's light show later.

The critics were not kind to Nektar, not that they ever were, and the tour was short lived. Many regard the December 10, Palladium, New York City show as Nektar's last show with Dave and Mick. It was Mick's last show until the 2002 reunion at NearFest, however, there Dave played a few more shows after the Palladium that extended into the middle of 1978. Dave Nelson finally bowed out from Nektar following the May 1978 shows. Mick started gigging around with Sam The Band in 1977 and continued with them well into 1979.

One of the highlights from the 1977 Magical tour for Nektar was the introduction of Sherman Helmsley on November 7,1977 at the Santa Monica Civic Center by Nektar's manager Kenny to start off the show. After the show, Nektar made their way to Sherman's house to party hardy with a personal grand tour of Sherman's house featuring a special bathroom. Sherman occasionally wore Nektar t–shirts on the Jefferson's show.

1978:

1978 was a confusing year for Nektar fans. During January 1978, Nektar performed a few concerts on the East coast of the States with Mo Moore, Ron Howden, Taff Freeman, and Dave Nelson who was still with the band. However, by this time, Mick Brockett moved on to work with "Sam The Band". When the Magic Is A Child tour was completed, Nektar went back to Mo's basement and began writing new songs. The new songs reverted back to Nektar's progressive roots and included some long jams and improvs with an occasional love song. Dave Nelson was there at the beginning of these writings and Ryche was there at the end and both contributed ideas, style, concepts, and lyrics.

During 1978, Nektar returned to the small club circuit playing to smaller audiences (around 300) except this time around, that circuit was in the USA and no where else.

May 1978 saw Nektar back in action again with a concert at Great Gildersleeves, New York City (A club that Mick also played regularly with Sam the Band.) This reunion concert was unique. It featured Dave Nelson and Ryche Chandra on lead guitars at the same time and it was the only time Nektar used two guitarists and two keyboardists (Taff and Larry) at the same time. RTF (part 2) was stunning. The band's official stance on the Ryche and Dave concerts is "rehearsals" however, tickets were sold, posters were made and there were some advertisements. Therefore, we are counting them as concert performances and not rehearsals! As of today, we have never come across any memorabilia to confirm any of this, we only have our recordings of the show.

Some of the songs played that day were:

I'm On Fire
    Why Can't I Be More Like You?
    How Long?
    Midnight Maker
    Love Is
    Sky Pilot

By May 31, 1978 Dave Nelson departed Nektar for good, leaving only Ryche Chandra on lead guitar. For more information on this check out the Nektar Timeline. Nektar begins playing songs from their older (pre–Magic Is A Child) albums with Ryche as well as the new songs that came to life during the Dave and Ryche rehearsals in Mo's basement. All the "Magic Is A Child" songs were dropped from the set list at this point in time.

On July 1, 1978, Roye rejoins Nektar. Throughout the concert Roye played with his back to the crowds while Ryche was on–stage. There is a bootleg concert that can confirm this historical event circulating around the Net. One can actually hear the audience shouting "turn around Roye." Ryche does not join Nektar on stage during the late 2nd show that night due to Roye's charismatic personality and stage presence. Thus the first concert that night was Ryche's last. The first concert (early show) was also the last time any of the new songs written by everyone but Roye was played. Two songs of note from this historical concert are: "Only Today" and "Welcome Back Old Rockers". Both are fine songs and are worthy of being on their next album.

On July 16, 1978: while playing at My Father's Place, Roslyn, New York, Nektar performs another new song called "Nektar 79." Again this is another fine song that was worthy of being on their next album. During this concert there was an announcement by the band that Nektar was going to take some time off to work on a new album and tour Germany.

According to Mo, Nektar's last reunion concert may have been November 22, 1978 at the Star's Club, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Once again several new songs were introduced and all were announced to be on the next album that was going to be recorded over in Germany. "Man in the Moon" was played to a live audience for the very first time as well as some other songs that eventually made up the "Man in the Moon" album that was released in 1980 only in Germany. However, several of the other new songs from this show never make it on to any album nor were they were ever heard again.

It's been nine long years since the formation of Nektar and Mo calls it a day. Instead of working on the next album over in Germany, Mo, starts managing a plumbing business. Mick started a classic car restoration business by now and was touring around the New York / New Jersey area with Sam The Band. Taff, Ron, and Roye stay in the music business. Larry is very busy touring with Peter Gabriel at this point in time. Dave and Ryche moved on to other bands."

from http://www.thenektarproject.com

I've heard bits and pieces of the "Live in Bremen" CD. Sounds pretty well recorded. If I already didn't have the "Fortyfied" release, I might just pick it up. I felt "Fortyfied" wasn't well recorded but the song selection is almost the same as "Live in Bremen." For the sake of Nektar and Roye, I hope it goes platinum.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

No one can replace Roye in Nektar. Period.

If they got the original members back along with the current band for a "tribute to Roye" tour, that would be pretty cool. But the current band plus some new guy replacing Roye? That would be a tough sell...

BTW surely the Dave Nelson of Magic is a Child is not the NRPS guy??

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    No, he's the Fox Business News guy

Sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    If they got the original members back along with the current band for a "tribute to Roye" tour, that would be pretty cool. But the current band plus some new guy replacing Roye? That would be a tough sell...

Well, Wikipedia seems to be a bit vague, but no, it's not the guy who played the guitar solo on the studio version of Box Of Rain (sorry, but that's who the NRPS guy is to me, NRPS never struck me as being anything to get too excited about).

FYI - Dave Nelson played as part of the Turtles' live band for years. Great player & great guy! Saw him many times!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Truly one of a kind
    no way to replace

Live in Bremen really does rock though, and you can see how those three would want To continue to play together as there's some real chemistry going on in that live CD.

They might be able to really burn up a club with a very high-quality singer guitar player light show revival

The Dave Nelson who played with Nektar is absolutely a different person entirely than the David Nelson who is still in the New Riders of The Purple Sage.

Nice recording. Thanks for posting. Ah, if only...
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Eli Friedman View Post
    The Dave Nelson who played with Nektar is absolutely a different person entirely than the David Nelson who is still in the New Riders of The Purple Sage.
    And I feel I need to point out that the Dave Nelson who played with Nektar is not the Dave Nelson who played for the Washington Senators in the early 70s, nor was he the former University of Florida safety who played (plays?) in the NFL.

This^^^

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    And I feel I need to point out that the Dave Nelson who played with Nektar is not the Dave Nelson who played for the Washington Senators in the early 70s, nor was he the former University of Florida safety who played (plays?) in the NFL.
    And while we're at it:

The Steve Howe who played with Asia and GTR is not the same Steve Howe who played Major League baseball in the early 90's.

The Dave Murray who is one of only two musicians to play on every Iron Maiden album is not the same David Murray who plays phre jazz on tenor saxophone.

Dave Stewart who played guitar and keyboards with The Eurythmics is not the same Dave Stewart who played in Egg, Khan, Hatfield And North, Bruford, and National Health, nor is he the Dave Stewart who played rhythm guitar on Steve Hillage's Live/Herald and Open tours.

The Jon Anderson who sang in Yes is not the same John Anderson who sings country and western music.

The Daevid Allen who founded Gong isn't David Allen Coe.

The Carlos Santana who dazzled the crowd at Woodstock isn't the same Carlos Santana who plays with the Cleveland Indians.

Scott Walker the singer/songwriter and Scott Walker the politician are two different people.

The MIchael White who produced the Rocky Horror Picture Show, the Michael White who played trumpet with David Torn in the early 90's, and Michael White the former mayor of Cleveland are all three different people.

The Danny Thompson who plays baritone sax with the Sun Ra Arkestra is neither the same Danny Thompson who played bass with Pentangle or the one who played drums with Hawkwind (ps: the Hawkwind drummer is the son of the Pentangle bassist).

Am I forgetting anyone? Probably.

Very clevah, Mr. GuitarGeek. But what we really want to know...was the Robert Calvert who sang for Hawkwind the same as the Robert Calvert who played with Catapilla and Gong, among others? Also, were any of your above Dave Stewarts the same as the Dave Stewart who pitched for the Athletics and the Blue Jays? Riddle me that, Batman!

David Wilcox the singer/songwriter is not David Wilcox my older brother.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

And John Williams the guitarplayer, isn't the same as John Williams the composer of music for several movies.

Just listened to the first half of Key Club Live CD. Lots of ummpphhh!! Rocks well and often, yet the quieter and subtler Nektar still comes through well also. Had not listened to this all the way through loud. Still like the last live gig Roye did, Live in Bremen more, but this is a good one to add to Nektar's live canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    And John Williams the guitarplayer, isn't the same as John Williams the composer of music for several movies.
    Oh damn, I forgot about that one! And that was one of my first encoutners with that sort of thing. I knew who the film composer was, because I was a big Star Wars fan, and then I found classical guitar records at the library by the other John Williams (before I knew about Sky), and very quickly figured out there were two of them.

I read an editorial in Guitar Player once (this was int he late 80's) where a writer lamented about going to a record store and asking for an album by John Williams the classical guitarist. The guy behind the counter said, "Oh, he does film music now, he did the music for Star Wars, in fact!".

And I also forgot the two David Chastains: one is a metal guitarist, the otehr is a blues guitarist, and apparently their fans used to get confused when either of them would play out live. Each got the other's fans at their shows.

Oh, and then there's the two Bill Evanses, the pianist and sax player, both of whom, actually, worked with Miles Davis.

And there's the two Chester Thompson, one is the drummer who played with Weather Report, Zappa, and that singing actor guy, ya know, the one who was on Miami Vice. There's a keyboardist named Chester Thompson, who played with Santana during the 80's.

Don't forget, there's Jethro Tull, the English agricultural pioneer, and then there's Jethro Tull, the one-legged guy who plays flute.

Sorry, I just had to.

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Chester Thompson, one is the drummer who played with Weather Report, Zappa, and that singing actor guy, ya know, the one who was on Miami Vice.
    Which album did Chester play on, Don Johnson's or Phillip Michael Thomas'?

But keeping on topic (sort of), was the David Nelson of Magic Is A Child the same guitarist/vocalist that
    played with the group Spy, who put out one album on Kirschner Records?

Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
    Which album did Chester play on, Don Johnson's or Phillip Michael Thomas'?
    Good one. I actually forgot that Phillip Michael Thomas made a record. Don Johnson was I think one of DIckey Betts' old drinking buddies, Dickey played on his record, and I think Don had a couple cowriting credits on the Great Southern and Allmans Bros records.

But I was actually thinking of Phil The Shill (but presumably you already knew that).