Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Opinions on this meme photo...

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Yeah, I don't think Whitney abused it anywhere near as much as today's singers.
    Agree with this.

I always felt that Whitney used it very tastefully (generally speaking) - however, her influence is consistently abused by some younger artists who try to copy the style.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I always felt that Whitney used it very tastefully (generally speaking) - however, her influence is consistently abused by some younger artists who try to copy the style.
    Most of those wailing she-cats, including Maria Scarey, all direct descendants of Whitney. She may have not done those gymnastics as often as the rest, but she is the one who popularized it, made a ton of money off of it, and thus spawned a generation of wannabes. And I, ee-I, ee-I, eeeeee-I, don't like it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Most of those wailing she-cats, including Maria Scarey, all direct descendants of Whitney. She may have not done those gymnastics as often as the rest, but she is the one who popularized it, made a ton of money off of it, and thus spawned a generation of wannabes. And I, ee-I, ee-I, eeeeee-I, don't like it.
    Might as well blame Aretha, then.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Might as well blame Aretha, then.

Agreed! I have all of Whitney's albums and have listened to her since the mid '80s. There is nothing cringeworthy within regards to wailing. I think generalizations have run rampant in this case.

I feel Mariah Carey is the one who made it what it is today. I do like Mariah's first two albums. After that, it started to get too urban and too much with the wailing and squeals.