Thread: Ed Palermo Big Band - The Adventures of Zodd Zundgren

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Ed Palermo Big Band - The Adventures of Zodd Zundgren

Now this is wacky and interesting. Maybe the weirdest combo since Dread Zeppelin! Gonna have to get this.

Damn! Ed's on a roll!

I have pretty much all of Palermo's output on Cuneiform, plus his earlier Zappa cover CD, all great stuff. I'm sure I'll pick this new one up eventually, but these guys sure are prolific. I haven't played the last few more than once or twice... but then, that's probably true of lots of stuff I've bought. Collecting is indeed a sickness, and it's chronic, in my case.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Now this is wacky and interesting. Maybe the weirdest combo since Dread Zeppelin! Gonna have to get this.

I don't think Dread Zeppelin is weird, but then I'm a fan.

I'm going to check it out.

Like this a lot. The composition holds up very well without the synths and trickery. It'd be interesting to hear A Wizard, a True Star with more meat n potatoes instrumentation. (With or without clarinets)

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    Like this a lot. The composition holds up very well without the synths and trickery.
    imo - one of the thing that makes a great composition is the very fact that it can 'hold up' to any kind of interpretation and still shine through compositionally.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I love Ed. Have most of his albums and have seen him a bunch of times, both at The Bottom Line and The Falcon (which is my closest local stomping ground for live tuneage). He is SUCH a nice guy, and he clearly wears his heart on his sleeve for the music he loves, and he LOVES this music. He also does a brilliant job at arranging, and he puts every ounce of passion into these arrangements.

My favorite moment with Ed was when he surprised Mike Keneally with an arrangement of "There have been bad moments" at The Bottom Line. It was difficult not to tear up at that moment, it was just something else, and a musical moment I'll never forget. Just an authentic beautiful, heartfelt moment.

My desert island wish involving Ed: an album of Canterbury tunes or Cardiacs tunes! One can dream, yes?

I don't know much about Todd, maybe this will be a nice way to get acquainted...
    Last edited by chalkpie; 09-04-2017 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    My desert island wish involving Ed: an album of Canterbury tunes
    Seconded. I was lucky enough to catch one of his shows at the Iridium in NYC last time I was in the US, and it was great - not least because I was sitting just inches away from the very impressive (musically & otheriwse) Katie Jacoby, violinist extraordinaire.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I love Ed. Have most of his albums and have seen him a bunch of times, both at The Bottom Line and The Falcon (which is my closest local stomping ground for live tuneage). He is SUCH a nice guy, and he clearly wears his heart on his sleeve for the music he loves, and he LOVES this music. He also does a brilliant job at arranging, and he puts every ounce of passion into these arrangements.

My favorite moment with Ed was when he surprised Mike Keneally with an arrangement of "There have been bad moments" at The Bottom Line. It was difficult not to tear up at that moment, it was just something else, and a musical moment I'll never forget. Just an authentic beautiful, heartfelt moment.

My desert island wish involving Ed: an album of Canterbury tunes or Cardiacs tunes! One can dream, yes?

I don't know much about Todd, maybe this will be a nice way to get acquainted...
    The most important thing to know about Todd is that, IMO, his big hits are his "least good" songs. They're not bad as hits go, but they're his less interesting material, IMO.

http://www.palermobigband.com/shows.htm

CD release party! You going Steve?

Listening now and enjoying the hell out of this release! Fantastic arrangements and having Nappy on board for a few is the icing on the cake.

Heard "Flamingo".I'm in.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

this is another great one by Mr. Palermo and his gang!

Went ahead and placed an order through Wayside. Can't wait to hear this one!

Could be a great introduction to some of Todd's more offbeat stuff. I really liked the Flamingo rendition that's up on Bandcamp, so it'll be really cool to see his arrangements of these other tunes.

Songs by Zappa and Rundgren, two of my favorite artists/musicians ever, together in one place? Why hasn't this been done sooner!?

Scary images from their record release show last weekend!

22089152_10212117531552422_6965883432568554144_n.jpg
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.