Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: SRV

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I know the name Rory Gallagher; nothing about him or his music.
    I would get Irish Tour and Calling Card. Both of those are great records. Against The Grain is nice too, though I think that's the one where, if I remember correctly, they used the "wrong takes" on the CD because apparently nothing had been cataloged correctly in terms of which takes of which songs were used on the original release, and I guess the reissue label didn't have the budget to go through all the tapes (and apparently there were tons of them) to find the right takes. At least that's the way it was in the late 90's when it was first reissued. I don't know if a more recent reissue hasn't rectified that "problem".

And yeah, the mid 70's albums started pushing into slightly more mainstream rock areas, but not that much. It wasn't like what happened with Gary Moore during the 80's, where he went whole hog into the world of hard rock (he said years later he went a lot further in that direction that he intended, probably from record company pressure). Rory always kept the bluesy side of things going, even paying homage to the Delta blues stylings in his shows by doing a couple acoustic things.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    It is, after all, more about the notes you don't play than it is about the ones you do.
    Not in Jimmy's case - he's just not very good. I agree with rhythmic changes and space; that's why someone like Yngwie doesn't thrill me. But Jimmy? Nah; he just needs some guitar lessons...
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    Not in Jimmy's case - he's just not very good. I agree with rhythmic changes and space; that's why someone like Yngwie doesn't thrill me. But Jimmy? Nah; he just needs some guitar lessons...
    Oh, I won't disagree with you there. I should have clarified that I was not using him as an example. Like I previously noted, I saw him twice and just didn't get the reasoning behind all the accolades.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    this is interesting - as i am reading your comments the radio is playing a song called Teardrop Blues by none other than Jimmy Vaughan from his album Jimmy Vaughan Plays Blues Ballads and Favorites (2010).
    i'll tell you one thing, the guy knows how to assemble a good band, arrange, sing, and play very authentic blues guitar, no lessons necessary.

Stevie said he always thought Jimmy never took lessons; that he seemed to just pick up the guitar and start playing it. younger sibling admiration of older sibling?

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    Stevie said he always thought Jimmy never took lessons; that he seemed to just pick up the guitar and start playing it. younger sibling admiration of older sibling?
    Yes. Stevie, as far as I know, was always in awe of his older brother. And that's cool; I've always been an admirer of mine, and I understand that completely.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I like "Family Style." I thought it was a nice mix of Texas swing, country (done in a tonge-n-cheek way), funk, and blues. My favorite tracks are: Telephone Song, Baboom/Mama Said, Brothers. I really like about 80 percent of it. Even those country-ish songs are fun to listen to. Agree about brother Jimmy. I could play as good (or bad) as him. He was nothing special obviously and he has a career because of his brother.
    Jimmy had quite a successful career with The Fabulous Thunderbirds before his brother became famous. I remember seeing them in a club several years before I knew who SRV was. That being said, Stevie was a much better guitarist. Jimmy has a style that is uniquely his own, but yea I was not that impressed the times I saw with the Thunderbirds either. Kim Wilson was (and still is) the meat and potatoes of that band.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Kim Wilson was (and still is) the meat and potatoes of that band.

Steve Sly
    there was a very fine incarnation of the T-Birds that had Nick Curran on guitar, he's a whole different animal than either of the Vaughan bros but i liked him a lot.

I was the flute player in a SRV cover band for awhile. Weird, huh?

^ I used to have a vision of developing a playing stoner/metal repertoire on clarinet.