Thread: Krautrock boxsets with unreleased albums

Krautrock boxsets with unreleased albums

Just learned that the german division of Warner is doing 5CD cheap boxsets of krautrock albums (mostly through the Telefunken & Nova arhives). Up till now there are three available and there are several albums that are reissued for the first time and the only way to obtain them is through these boxes. Note that there are some real gems included (the MOTHERHOOD & DENNIS albums f.e).

Abums first time on CD
    In vol II
    MESSAGE "Synapse"

In vol III
    DOLDINGER'S MOTHERHOOD "Motherhood"
    DENNIS Hyperthlamus"
    DIEZ & BISCHOF "Daybreak"

They claim that the albums are digitlly remastered, but I supect that some are probaby needledrops as the master tapes are lost (f.e. the 2nd Gila). Anybody that heard them can comment on the sound quality?
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Interesting - can you tell us what the sets are called so we can find them?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Interesting - can you tell us what the sets are called so we can find them?

Thanks!
    Krautrock Original Album Series by Warner. There are 3 Volumes so far, each with 5 Albums (and only 8 bucks!).

You can find them everywhere (Amazon etc.)

I have bought the first one a while ago. Sounds good . I had already the Message and La Düsseldorf cd's but I never compared them . I suppose it's the same masters. I am curious for the Gila and Denis cd's which I have only as vinyl rips.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9195 en utilisant Tapatalk
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Where do you see them for $8? And not seeing vol 3 on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Where do you see them for $8? And not seeing vol 3 on Amazon.
    amazon.de carries all three for 8 euros each. As I own all these albums on vinyl, I can say that the 3rd box is the most interesting, due mostly to the Denis & Gila LPs which are both krautrock top 50 for me. My question regarding sound quality aimed primarily at the Denis album; the original vinyl sounds quite muddy and I need to know if it is improved. On second thought, 8 euros ain't that much, I can go for it by trial & error.
    Last edited by spacefreak; 08-29-2017 at 06:21 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Interesting... of course there's some waste in each sets but also rare krautrock gems (the 2nd GILA, DENNIS,...). But at that price we can't complain and it's hard to resist. (actually I didn't, and ordered the 3 boxes !). Hey, 15 CD's of german (kraut)rock for 24$ (plus shipping) looks like a good deal. I'm wondering if there will be more volumes in this series following later.

Rather cool to hear. IMO, Synapse is by far the best Message album, infinitely superior to the overrated first two (especially The Dawn Anew Is Coming, which is downright dreary to my ears), and it’s good to have it readily available for once. And I’ve been curious about that Dennis album for a while.

Can anyone comment on Daybreak? I heard one track from it and it was a lot more electronic than I was expecting considering who it was (a duo of a guitarist and a singer).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    And I’ve been curious about that Dennis album for a while.
    Dennis were a one-off project of musicians from Tomorrow's Gift, Thirsty Moon, Kravetz and Xhol. They recorded an album live as a collection of jams and improvisations that can be labelled as the ultimate acid rock german equivalent of the west coast bands from the late 60s. Classic top 50 krautrock to my ears.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    amazon.de carries all three for 8 euros each. As I own all these albums on vinyl, I can say that the 3rd box is the most interesting, due mostly to the Denis & Gila LPs which are both krautrock top 50 for me. My question regarding sound quality aimed primarily at the Denis album; the original vinyl sounds quite muddy and I need to know if it is improved. On second thought, 8 euros ain't that much, I can go for it by trial & error.
    Is the third one most interesting because it has the most rare items or most interesting because it is musically good?
    In other words which box is recommended for a kraut newbie (that loves faust, agitation free, amon duul 2, can etc) ?

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Is the third one most interesting because it has the most rare items or most interesting because it is musically good?
    In other words which box is recommended for a kraut newbie (that loves faust, agitation free, amon duul 2, can etc) ?
    Volume 3 looked the most interesting to me....ordered!

Have you seen Spyros krautrock list he gave me btw? http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...Krautrock-list
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    This, for the majority of the albums contained.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

A lot of these records are not strictly speaking Krautrock but more 2nd generation German Rock : Doldinger and Denis : Jazz Rock, La Düsseldorf : the follow up of Neu : electro pop, Parzival: Folk Rock , Satin Whale : Symphonic. Gila is maybe what comes closest to to the original Krautrock and most of the rest heavy rock.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    This, for the majority of the albums contained.
    Ok, thanks for all the replies, ordered #3!

Thanks as always for the insights - Vol 3 ordered!

So, my first impressions of Vol 3:

I didn't have the Popol Vuh record before, so this is a real bonus (needless to say, it's superb).

I love the Dennis - spacey, psych-jazz workouts!

Doldinger's Motherhood is sax-driven pop-rock - quite good fun, but not one that'll get many listens.

I had to turn Diez & Bischof off midway through the 2nd track, I disliked it so much!

The Gila I'm going to have to have another go at - I was intrigued on first listen...

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post

I didn't have the Popol Vuh record before, so this is a real bonus (needless to say, it's superb).

Doldinger's Motherhood is sax-driven pop-rock - quite good fun, but not one that'll get many listens.

I had to turn Diez & Bischof off midway through the 2nd track, I disliked it so much!

The Gila I'm going to have to have another go at - I was intrigued on first listen...
    I fully concur with your analysis/ratings: Diez & Bischof is awful, despite some of the musician's pedigree. (Curt Cress, Kristian Schulze,....) and I listened to all the tracks. (a painful experience I won't repeat)

However, the 2nd GILA is very good, inspired psych-folk-rock somewhat similar to (the best) POPOL VUH (not a big surprise as most of Popol Vuh members are involved in the project, including Florian Fricke himself). Also, It sounds better than my old Garden of Delights copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    I fully concur with your analysis/ratings: Diez & Bischof is awful, despite some of the musician's pedigree. (Curt Cress, Kristian Schulze,....) and I listened to all the tracks. (a painful experience I won't repeat)

However, the 2nd GILA is very good, inspired psych-folk-rock somewhat similar to (the best) POPOL VUH (not a big surprise as most of Popol Vuh members are involved in the project, including Florian Fricke himself). Also, It sounds better than my old Garden of Delights copy.
    Yes, definitely agree about the Gila - I've been giving this some more listening, & I've been really impressed. Sort of psych-folk, the album moves from beautiful pastoral melodies to out-there spacey chanting & swirling primal rhythms.

So, 3 very good albums, 1 throwaway fun album, & 1 absolute stinker - pretty decent return for under €15!!

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post

Glad that you like Dennis , quite Canterburish at times . That's a record that should have got a wider distribution IMO

Bought all 3 of them in Germany.
    Played:
    Parzival - Legend
    La Düsseldorf - Viva
    Asterix - s/t
    Dolderdingers Motherhood - Motherhood

Played Dennis Hypothalmus today, really enjoyed it. Not earth shattering but some of the moods were very nice and the playing was fantastic.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Played Dennis Hypothalmus today, really enjoyed it. Not earth shattering but some of the moods were very nice and the playing was fantastic.
    I just spun this in response to the above post. It reminded me of Embryo's Rocksession & Steig Aus stuff. Very nice.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

missed this thread the first time around

Can find all thee boxsets and the 15 albums for a good price, though I do have four of them already (2 Parzival, the PV and the Gila), but I'm definitely not sure I need all of this (I know for sure I don't need LAD).

The two Message albums proposed are not the better ones and the Satin Whale album is also not the one I'd be looking for, though Lost Mankind one is still ok.
    Dennis would be the main attraction for me
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.