Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Collecting Is A Sickness

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    ^ Hilarious story.
    I've actually been to the Mustard Museum in Wisconsin. But we were actually just passing through. I'll bet I'm not the only one here who's been there.

"After a while, though, it seemed like every conversation we had was about something the people on his mustard website said."

Yeah, I can relate.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I've actually been to the Mustard Museum in Wisconsin. But we were actually just passing through. I'll bet I'm not the only one here who's been there.

Ya think??

Barry Levinson, founder & owner of the "International" Mustard Museum here, is, not surprisingly, just another transplanted NY Jew and an acquaintance of mine who, by sheer coincidence I counseled when he elected to begin benefits from his prior State of Wis employment (my pre-retirement gig was as a presentational speaker and benefits counselor for the state public pension system).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    It's only a problem if you don't have a plan. Me, I plan to build my next house entirely out of CDs, jewel cases, and digipaks.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Has anyone wondered what will happen to all your cd's & vinyl when you die? At least this isn't a sickness you can die from - unless a huge rack of LP's fall on you

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Ya think??

Barry Levinson, founder & owner of the "International" Mustard Museum here, is, not surprisingly, just another transplanted NY Jew and an acquaintance of mine who, by sheer coincidence I counseled when he elected to begin benefits from his prior State of Wis employment (my pre-retirement gig was as a presentational speaker and benefits counselor for the state public pension system).
    Cool!

Just to further establish my WI cred, I went to the museum when it was in Mount Horeb.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Has anyone wondered what will happen to all your cd's & vinyl when you die? At least this isn't a sickness you can die from - unless a huge rack of LP's fall on you
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The chapter about record collectors in Simon Reynolds book 'Retromania' is an instructive and funny read (especially for sick people)
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

You folks should read Amanda Petrusich's Do Not Sell at Any Price: The Wild, Obsessive Hunt for the World's Rarest 78rpm Records. She spends some time dealing with the collecting mentality and why we are driven to keep doing so.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

You could always take them with you. Amass them into a funeral pyre, douse it with petrol, get someone to heave your corpse on it and torch the lot. Preferably outdoors and somewhere far away from buildings and heavy, easily flammable vegetation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    When I was in high school I knew a guy who looked a lot like this guy, and he had invested quite a bit in X-Men #1. He seemed to be set up pretty well after a few years. He also went on to be an editor for Penthouse Comix.

LOL

You folks should read Amanda Petrusich's Do Not Sell at Any Price: The Wild, Obsessive Hunt for the World's Rarest 78rpm Records. She spends some time dealing with the collecting mentality and why we are driven to keep doing so.
    There was an amazing story (maybe it is from that book?) a few years ago about a blues 78 that no one had a copy of. No one. People only thought it existed because of a listing in a catalogue. Finally someone found one at a yard sale for about $2. Anyone remember more of this story? I couldn't find anything by Googling.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    When I was in high school I knew a guy who looked a lot like this guy, and he had invested quite a bit in X-Men #1. He seemed to be set up pretty well after a few years. He also went on to be an editor for Penthouse Comix.

LOL
    The scarier thing is that the 6 Feet Under Nerd is a lot like most collector's on PE (myself included)!

There are some colourful collectors' stories in these books, iirc
    ism1.jpg
    ism2.jpg

Yes, and on this DVD as well.

OCD made me do it.
    The Prog Corner

In the early 80s when I was in my late teens I used to go stay with my Grandma in Denver for about a month every summer, which was technically an excuse to drive all over Colorado and hoover up vinyl at Wax Trax, Underground Records (on Pearl Street, with cats lying all over the records; now Twist & Shout), Independent in Colo Springs, Finest in Greeley, etc.
    My Grandma always used to say, "Geoffie, don't you have enough records?", like it was a finite thing.
    The funny postscript is now, at 52, yes. I have enough records. Vinyl and CD. Too many I've listened to once and never will again. Collectibles that are meaningless to me now in the face of adult crises. Offloading is a plan in the works.
    So you win, Grandma! She was always right about everything else, so that figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I don't "collect" CDs, I just buy CDs when I feel like it. I don't keep count but I have about a thousand CDs. It's taken me 17-18 years to accumulate that many.
    my addiction began in 1976
    I don't keep count anymore but I must be around 10k at this point

signed
    one seriously ill record collector
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

much harder to happen if you stick with CDS sg23gvainqueurg23g.gif

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    The chapter about record collectors in Simon Reynolds book 'Retromania' is an instructive and funny read (especially for sick people)

Ooooohhh!!!... Martin, thanks for reminding me I still need to attack this bookwall.gif... it's probably down in the middle of the pile I still have to read...

Hopefully, this pile won't kill me as it tumbles down on me when I pull the book out of it rotflmao.gif

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    The scarier thing is that the 6 Feet Under Nerd is a lot like most collector's on PE (myself included)!
    Count me out... I'm much better looking than this duderockon.gif
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I suppose it is a sickness if it hampers other aspects in your life such as your relationships with family and friends, your job, your health, physical and mental. For me it was a "sickness". I might hear a song on the radio by a particular artist and then I would purchase the CD/record that contained that song, & then all of the releases of that particular artist. If I really liked a band (Pink Floyd, Genesis) I would by the single releases of all of the members. A few years ago I noticed that this habit was fulfilling a "need" but one in which I found no joy. When I realized that there is a difference between need and joy, I stopped collecting.

As it was with music, so it was also with books.

As a scientist (physician) I'm curious where that "need" came from.

But this is my story. One size doesn't (& shouldn't) fit all.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Collecting Is A Sickness

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Yes, but only when it comes to ancient blues, old-timey-music, and hokum record - preferably in 78rpm, and wax cylinders are even better. And it gets even worse if you're a small, scrawny, weedy-looking guy having an obsession with women possessing huge, muscular buttocks, bulky, powerful legs, thick ankles, and gigantic French-farm-girl grape-squashers. Oh, yes, and if you used to live in San Francisco but now live in France, and your wife has all those above attributes, but you still can't stop cheating on her.

Perhaps they can pay for my cremation.

I've actually been to the Mustard Museum in Wisconsin.
    I'm actually wearing my mustard museum t-shirt. Guess who took me there?

If you really want to hate yourself, watch "Vinyl", a documentary from 2000. I don't think it's on DVD though: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120454/

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    If you really want to hate yourself, watch "Vinyl", a documentary from 2000.

OMG, I just watched 8 minutes of that and I already hate myself and all of them. At least I only have one box of vinyl.