Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Vortex - Les Cycles De Thanatos

Loved this one since the day I first heard it, but recently developed a real sympathy towards their first one as well. Its charms kinda eluded me when I heard it on that 2CD reissue, but I was lucky to get the original vinyl recently, and that's where it finally clicked. Twisted underground jazz-rock of the highest order – perhaps not as dark or "avant" as the follow-up, but also very very good. I wonder if I need to get myself an original LP of Les Cycles... too, for it to make a final leap from my borderline classic Gnosis 12-13 territory to the 14s and 15s.

Looking for this CD as well...
    Recently I asked about it to someone at Le Triton, but only vinyl copies were (and may still be) available from them.
    Last edited by unclemeat; 08-30-2017 at 10:13 AM.

I think the brass/percussion section in the long piece is way too long, things become extremely interesting after bass and drums join in. Somehow it seems like two different bands, compared with the first two tracks. This is part of the appeal to me, the width they cover.

Wonderful stuff. Keep'em coming these french goodies.

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat
    Recently I asked about it to someone at Le Triton, but only vinyl copies were (and may still be) available from them.
    Have you got a link please? Very interested in Les Cycles... on vinyl (which, I suppose, should be original as there did not seem to be any LP reissues that I'm aware of).

^ I'd certainly get a vinyl reissue too, espec if it was an analog transfer.

I was too late to get one of those gorgeous vinyls of Eros by Dün, and I still regret it sorely.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Levgan View Post
    Have you got a link please? Very interested in Les Cycles... on vinyl (which, I suppose, should be original as there did not seem to be any LP reissues that I'm aware of).
    No. I asked someone at the merch stand when I was there. You might try e-mailing them (http://www.letriton.com/contact), if the mp3 download is not for you
    (http://www.letriton.com/shop/fr/rech...submit_search=).

^ I have never been able to get the download purchase at Le Triton web site to work, after multiple attempts using different browsers. I also sent them an email about it but never got a reply. Mind you this is quite a while ago, things may have improved.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Well...turns out Amazon (US at least) has the digital album available too...so, I just went that route instead

(edit: sorry, quite unhelpful...here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/1975-1979-Vor...rtex+1975-1979 )
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Gave the 2 on 1 a re-listen this week.

The first one was as I remembered it; plodding uneventful avant/RIO rocjk along the lines of UZ first album.
    The booklet states the music was written for an avant garde French play, which may explain the lack of memorable melodies.

Les Cycles De Thanatos is better on all levels, tunes, production ,arrangements mixes etc.
    It also has tinges of jazz-rock that remind me of Germany's Missus Beastly and Belgium's Abraxis

Although they lose me on the 25 minute title track. Its too long and lacks direction..., for me anyway.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I have the 2 on 1 and will revisit it this week!

I remember preferring Les Cycles over the s/t
    What Nosey said.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

On closer hearing, this laughably obscure and wholeheartedly irrelevant album truly reminds me of that new one by Steven Wilson, only far less impressively progressive. And I bet it didn't even chart. Ha-ha, who would ever want to hear of such a non-important band as Vortex, I mean, why didn't they rather try to sound like something more familiar and established in order to score some points and get better known? Haw-haw, hoi-hoi. Care about the music itself, like. Hee-hee.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ...haw-haw, hoi-hoi. Care about the music itself, like. Hee-hee.
    Awfully early to be hitting the Jack, SS!

even WITH the time difference.

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Awfully early to be hitting the Jack, SS!
    I'm with my youngest kid today, so no hooch taken. Ol' dispenser caffeine rewarmed in a butterpan, 'ts all.

It was simply an elderly, outdated true progger's nature's lament as to the overwhelming status of our beloved music's vitality now that it's (we're) finally somehow no. 1 again in the lands of our immaculate birth.

The Mars Volta, Mastodon and several other Prog bands already outsold us (we and Steven) some tenfolds, btw. Of course, they wouldn't stand a chance in a Progger's nerdy quiz, and that's what matters. But those Vortexas, man - they sure went the wrong way about making Prog great again. It's so obvious when you listen to that Cycho Tinnitus thang that they didn't know how to pull it off for real. And that cover, huh? No wonder that the sound went over everybody's heads, as you'd have to be a skull to "get it".

Wait... did someone spike my mug after all?

No wonder that the sound went over everybody's heads, as you'd have to be a skull to "get it"?
    Which leads us to the best site ever created (sadly no longer being updated, but still there for your amazement!)

Great introduction too!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

^ Wow, I BELONG there!

Which leads us to the best site ever created (sadly no longer being updated, but still there for your amazement!)

Great introduction too!
    How about GOD ??
    (Guts Of Darkness) >> (tripes de la noirceur)

https://www.gutsofdarkness.com/god/home.php

a little french might come in handy, though
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Great introduction too!
    In a similar vein is this one -most but not all are 'bands in front of brick walls' http://www.rockandrollconfidential.c...hp?dd_keyid=99

This album is so good!

I had a really good time listening to Vortex last night. I was feelin' kinda Prog there for a moment.

^^ I tried to feel Proggy there myself, but there are no mellatrons in there man I am tellin'ya

^ Lotsa xylotron, tho'! And vibrator phone! Gotta count for som'tn!

On closer hearing, this laughably obscure and wholeheartedly irrelevant album truly reminds me of that new one by Steven Wilson, only far less impressively progressive. And I bet it didn't even chart. Ha-ha, who would ever want to hear of such a non-important band as Vortex, I mean, why didn't they rather try to sound like something more familiar and established in order to score some points and get better known? Haw-haw, hoi-hoi. Care about the music itself, like. Hee-hee.
    I heard that Vortex got back together and are recording an album that sounds like a cross between CTTE and SEBTP!!!

lemmings are going to fall over themselves
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Vortex got back together and are recording an album that sounds like a cross between CTTE and SEBTP!
    I suppose that was the initial intention, but due to the general weariness of old age results were closer to The Commodores.

I suppose that was the initial intention, but due to the general weariness of old age results were closer to The Commodores.
    there are actually some great Commodores albums which, I dare say, are much better than some Genesis and Yes albums
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?