Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bands Like Group 87?

Allright then, here's one without guitars, but with funky horns and great keyboard-stuff from David Hirschfelder, known for his work with Little River Band and his soundtrack-stuff (Shine):

Pyramid: Sunshower:

For some live-clips: https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...ck-fusion-band
    Last edited by interbellum; 11-04-2019 at 03:14 PM. Reason: correcting his soundtrack-work

Thanks, that's nice. Kind of a Jeff Lorber Fusion with trumpet instead of sax.

M
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    This thread brought me back to these CD's, which I enjoyed years ago, but hadn't played them for ages.

Occassionally I also hear some Bruford (in the melodic guitar-solo's), Kit Watkins and the obscure band Man Jumping on their E'G Records-album World Service:

I FINALLY tracked down "World Service" by Man Jumping, and yes it's quite nice! It's closer to Startled Insects or Wally Badarou or Saqqara Dogs than Group 87, but still delicious.

I've also been enjoying their first album, "Jump Cut":
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 03-12-2020 at 05:28 PM.

And the remixes!

^^Cool.
    I must admit I bought World Service when I saw it for a very low price and I noticed it was on EG Records. Didn't know the band at all.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    ^^Cool.
    I must admit I bought World Service when I saw it for a very low price and I noticed it was on EG Records. Didn't know the band at all.
    I noticed that most of the EG artist roster was pretty high-profile, but there are a few oddities out there like this, Pictures and Ambitious Lovers (the latter featuring Peter Scherer, keyboardist for Island).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Jerry Goodman's '80s Private label albums
    Focus "Jan Akkerman and Thijs van Leer" -- I think there is a good Focus record in there, somewhere, if there were a human rhythm section
    Al DiMeola Scenario -- riffy, not as fusiony, Jan Hammer's transition to Miami Vice?

Yes, The No Speak releases were excellent, almost all of them -- as noted in posts #16 & 17. Bardens & Goodman & Haycock are particularly good suggestions!

Just watched some live-video's from Djabe on their latest album "The Magic Stag" and I must say that especially during live-shows the music of this band has something in common with Group 87:

On studiorecordings the folk-influences are larger.

Mutual Isolation, the new album from Burnt Belief (Colin Edwin/Jon Durant) has three tracks featuring trumpet-player Aleksei Saks and those tracks sure remind me of Group 87

(No tracks available yet on https://jondurant.bandcamp.com/album/mutual-isolation - the release-date is October 22.)

Love the Group 87 stuff myself, although I haven't listened to it in a while. Try Michael Shrieve's Stiletto. Maybe a little more angular than Group 87, but Mark Isham's trumpet still gives it a somewhat similar feel.

Quote Originally Posted by WJK59 View Post
    Love the Group 87 stuff myself, although I haven't listened to it in a while. Try Michael Shrieve's Stiletto. Maybe a little more angular than Group 87, but Mark Isham's trumpet still gives it a somewhat similar feel.
    How did I miss this???

Quote Originally Posted by WJK59 View Post
    Fine album indeed. Shrieve produced some interesting recordings featuring musicians like David Torn, Steve Roach, Jonas Hellborg, Andy Summers, Shawn Lane, Bill Frisell, Wayne Horvitz and Terje Gewelt

I'd add The Leaving Time by Michael Shrieve & Steve Roach to the mix. David Torn is on it, too.