Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New album and tour from PFM

I seem to like it more than everyone else here. Was expecting something that harks back to PFM's pure-pop period, what I hear is a song that could have fit well on Jet Lag. Pop songs don't usually have guitar solos like that one, and the lead bass is nifty.

Sounds to me like the autotune is only used on the English version. The Italian is lots better.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Obviously it ain't going to equal the likes of Per un Amico, but it's far from boring or insipid pop IMO. I'm sorry you don't care for it though.

I also don't get why "pop" is used in a derogatory fashion here, as if it's not enough to simply call it "boring music". *shrug*
    Like I said it was my first take. Jezuz! If I can deride pop music here, where can I?

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Like I said it was my first take. Jezuz! If I can deride pop music here, where can I?

When you put it that way, I can see your point.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    I seem to like it more than everyone else here.
    It's not unlistenable enough for many it seems!

Plenty of earworms, very well crafted songs, great playing, proggy bits

Love it, both versions

Wish they were on the Cruise this year playing these songs

Its a solid album. Both versions.

Yesterday I listened to the Italian version. I have not heard the English version yet. This is a great album!! I don't understand how anyone could not like this. No it's not Photos or the World and is definitely not like their first two, but so what? Why would anyone want a repeat of those? I kind of compare this release to the new Maxophone album. There are hints of the old releases but both groups have moved on to new ideas. Isn't that the meaning of progressive rock? Anyone with an open mind will love this release. Even though I like Passpartu, this is NOTHING LIKE THAT ALBUM. I'm so glad PFM, Aqua Fragile, Maxophone, Le Orme, and Banco are still around and making good new music!! That's more than be said for so much music coming out these days.....Now on to the English version!.......
    So much music....so little time....

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    Yesterday I listened to the Italian version. I have not heard the English version yet. This is a great album!! I don't understand how anyone could not like this. No it's not Photos or the World and is definitely not like their first two, but so what? Why would anyone want a repeat of those? I kind of compare this release to the new Maxophone album. There are hints of the old releases but both groups have moved on to new ideas. Isn't that the meaning of progressive rock? Anyone with an open mind will love this release. Even though I like Passpartu, this is NOTHING LIKE THAT ALBUM. I'm so glad PFM, Aqua Fragile, Maxophone, Le Orme, and Banco are still around and making good new music!! That's more than be said for so much music coming out these days.....Now on to the English version!.......
    Yerp

I'd say they were going for something a little more like "Suonare Suonare", as opposed to Passpartu but MUCH more successful IMO

I wasn't as impressed with the Maxophone as you seem to be - I need to revisit that one, I lost interest after a couple of spins

This one will have legs, loving it more every listen

It's a great album in my opinion and it's definitely progressive rock!

I've really been enjoying this album, I'm surprised after reading some of the comments here! Haven't spun the English disc yet but the Italian disc is great!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Just finished listening to the English version. I give it a "Thumbs Up"!

Listened to the Italian vinyl version, and loved every minute of it. If it's "pop," it's early to mid 70s pop, a time when even pop was creative.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Listened to the Italian vinyl version, and loved every minute of it. If it's "pop," it's early to mid 70s pop, a time when even pop was creative.
    Nicely put! The album is accessible, but far from "mainstream" (whatever that is really). There's plenty of nice guitar and keyboard solos too. I'm very happy with this release!

I agree that it's a solid release. I created my own "deluxe version" by merging it with the new Acqua Fragile release (A New Chant). Give it a try. Two premium PFM vocalists. Although I miss Franco Mussida and Flavio Premoli. Another cool alternative PFM CD is the third disc (DVD) of Bernardo Lanzetti's Vox 40. And yes, my sig line is inspired by PFM's 2000 release! prog on.

The 'auto-tune experts" may not think so, but it is proving to be better every listen

Sure, I'd rather have Mussida and Premoli on board, but the songs are very strong

Personally a somewhat rare case where I like the English version better, albeit slightly

Quote Originally Posted by Chichen Itza View Post
    The 'auto-tune experts" may not think so, but it is proving to be better every listen

Sure, I'd rather have Mussida and Premoli on board, but the songs are very strong

Personally a somewhat rare case where I like the English version better, albeit slightly
    I've been listening to both versions (English/Italian) recently and I'm enjoying both. It doesn't remind me at all of their post-Jet Lag (1980s) albums, like Passpartu. Rather, it's reminiscent of Ulisse, which I enjoyed a great deal when it was released. But, like the previous posters, I very much miss Mussida and Premoli (and their vocals).

Full disclosure: I liked "Serendipity" as well, so my opinions are probably suspect!