Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New PFM: Emotional Tattoos

New PFM: Emotional Tattoos

As noted in the "current Italian prog album" thread, but this deserves its own thread, right?

Details:

Premiata Forneria Marconi reveal cover and more details of “Emotional Tattoos”

To the very day, Premiata Forneria Marconi (aka PFM) is considered the most influential and respected Italian rock band and on October 27th, 2017 InsideOutMusic will release the band’s new studio album “Emotional Tattoos”. Now, the band reveals the album’s striking cover artwork created by Stefano Bonora / Artkademy.

The band comments: “On the cover you see a fantastic spaceship run by Franz and Patrick, bringing the band to places never explored before, introducing the audience into the new PFM world, where music has not only one identity but evolves and embraces many genres. PFM is famous for never repeating previous records and “Emotional Tattoos” is an album that will leave emotions on the skin, like when a spaceship lands in a fantastic world with vegetation and animals in harmony with each other.”

PFM began writing their new opus in 2016, started recording in early 2017 and finished both an English and Italian version of the over an hour long record in July at Metropolis Recording Studio with Alessandro Marcantoni.

See below for the exact track-listing:
    - English version -
    1. We're Not An Island (7:12)
    2. Morning Freedom (6:06)
    3. The Lesson (5:08)
    4. So Long (5:56)
    5. A Day We Share (6:03)
    6. There's A Fire In Me (4:55)
    7. Central District (5:27)
    8. Freedom Square – instrumental (4:47)
    9. I'm Just A Sound (5:57)
    10. Hannah (5:16)
    11. It's My Road (5:07)

- Italian version -
    1. Il Regno (7:12)
    2. Oniro (6:06)
    3. La lezione (5:08)
    4. Mayday (5:56)
    5. La danza degli specchi (6:03)
    6. Il cielo che c'è (4:55)
    7. Quartiere generale (5:27)
    8. Freedom Square – instrumental (4:47)
    9. Dalla Terra alla Luna (5:57)
    10. Le cose belle (5:16)
    11. Big Bang (5:07)

PFM is a very eclectic and exuberant musical group with a distinctive style that impressively combines rock, progressive, and classical music into one mesmerizing sonic entity. Formed in 1970, the band quickly gained a prominent place on the international scene by making it to the Billboard charts (for 1973’s “Photos Of Ghosts”), and winning a gold record in Japan while constantly ruling the charts in their home country until today. PFM were honored with position #50 in the “UK Classic Rock Hall of Fame” of the 100 most important artists in the world as well as being awarded two gold records in their home country in 1971 and 1997.

“Emotional Tattoos” marks the return of the band's trademark sound after two rather experimental releases. The new album takes a melodic rock route while offering surprising musical twists and turns including moody synths, orchestral arrangements, straight-forward guitar-driven passages and wonderful ballads.

The album can already be pre-ordered in the following formats from the official InsideOutMusic online store:
    Gatefold black 2LP+2CD – English vinyl with both versions on 2CD
    Limited Gatefold transparent orange 2LP+CD – Italian vinyl & Italian CD – limited to 500 copies
    Special Edition 2CD Digipak – English & Italian version

Order the album here: http://bit.ly/PFM-IOMshop

source: https://www.facebook.com/premiatafor...235615432119:0
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    It's on InsideOut? I'm happy for them that they got what I suppose it a good label and distribution. Looking forward to hearing this.

Nice. I imagine the Italian version is preferable. Melodic rock approach? In the vein of Ulisse then perhaps? I suppose it's too much to hope there would ever be anything in the vein of a track like 'Appena Un Po'

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Nice. I imagine the Italian version is preferable. Melodic rock approach? In the vein of Ulisse then perhaps? I suppose it's too much to hope there would ever be anything in the vein of a track like 'Appena Un Po'
    Inside Out only has the option of buying both the English and Italian version together.

Quite possibly. But then, most of those original guys are no longer with the band now anyway.

But it would be great if there was a track like "Appena Un Po" on this new one. Keep hoping against hope.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Quite possibly. But then, most of those original guys are no longer with the band now anyway.

But it would be great if there was a track like "Appena Un Po" on this new one. Keep hoping against hope.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Inside Out only has the option of buying both the English and Italian version together.
    Huh. Okay.

Melodic rock approach?
    Actually, in a stunning change of direction, this one is a Rolling Stones tribute. They've already started work on the sequel, to be titled Rescue You.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

AUTO-BUY
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Actually, in a stunning change of direction, this one is a Rolling Stones tribute. They've already started work on the sequel, to be titled Rescue You.
    LOL!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It's on InsideOut?
    Yes, that's supposedly why it says "[...] is considered the most influential and respected Italian rock band" [ed. no, that would actually be I Nomadi]. They need an introduction, seeing how some buyers may be sceptical towards the idea of a rock group from Italy.

Prog surely lives.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I fail to see how this could be in any way relevant. I do not want to sound insulting, I understand the power of nostalgia, and if by some miracle this was a masterpiece worthy of their glorious past I would gladly offer myself to public vilification. But am I the only one who feels that there is no possible way that this new record could be the product of some genuine creative process?

Anyway, although I will probably not even listen to it, I already prefer the italian version. Especially if it comes with pizza, gelato and espresso.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I fail to see how this could be in any way relevant. I do not want to sound insulting, I understand the power of nostalgia, and if by some miracle this was a masterpiece worthy of their glorious past I would gladly offer myself to public vilification. But am I the only one who feels that there is no possible way that this new record could be the product of some genuine creative process?

Anyway, although I will probably not even listen to it, I already prefer the italian version. Especially if it comes with pizza, gelato and espresso.
    Stati Di Immaginazione (2006) - I realize they are now missing their lead guitarist though.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 08-24-2017 at 05:45 AM.

This seems unnecessarily harsh, to me at least. Of course it won't measure up to the glory days -- how could it? The same guys who made Storia and Per un Amico are no longer together in the band (I think Di Cioccio is the only remaining original member). But that doesn't preclude creativity from the current members.

The more important matter is, to me, whether it's good music or not. If the songs are good, I'll be happy.

They announced they are playing Rosfest '18

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Sounds like you have already made up your mind, no? Fripp says move on then.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Sounds like you have already made up your mind, no? Fripp says move on then.
    But I wasn't really referring to PFM in particular, just trying to raise a larger issue with all these reunions, where almost no original members are included. Why keep the name, if not for purely commercial reasons? And how come that these reunions get 1000 posts when really good fresh music goes unnoticed? How many of them actually produced material that can stand on equal terms next to the masterpieces of the past - and not just good music (that could be a seperate thread. I confess ignorance on the subject, since my scepticism hasn't allowed me to really get involved )

"Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

But I wasn't really referring to PFM in particular, just trying to raise a larger issue with all these reunions, where almost no original members are included.
    In fairness to PFM, this is not a reunion. The band never stopped. The have gradually lost members, the most recent (and quite important, I agree), being guitarist Franco Mussida, who was a very important part of their sound.

But they did not 'reform' and this is a natural progression of members coming and (eventually) leaving over 45 years(!!)

Also, in fairness, I've heard the album and I enjoyed it and thought it was good. For me, it isn't one of their classics, but I didn't expect it to be. Everyone will have their own opinion, of course, BUT for a 'legacy group' it was not in the least bit embarrassing and it in no way lessens their legacy.

imo.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    In fairness to PFM, this is not a reunion. The band never stopped. The have gradually lost members, the most recent (and quite important, I agree), being guitarist Franco Mussida, who was a very important part of their sound.

But they did not 'reform' and this is a natural progression of members coming and (eventually) leaving over 45 years(!!)

Also, in fairness, I've heard the album and I enjoyed it and thought it was good. For me, it isn't one of their classics, but I didn't expect it to be. Everyone will have their own opinion, of course, BUT for a 'legacy group' it was not in the least bit embarrassing and it in no way lessens their legacy.

imo.
    Thank you Steve. That was very well-said, and I completely agree with all of it.

Also, thanks for sharing your thoughts on the new CD. That is good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post

imo.
    Reunion or not, it's not the issue here. I am sure you're getting my point. I am glad that they have a good record out that respects their legacy. As I pointed out, it's not about PFM in particular.

Reunion or not, it's not the issue here. I am sure you're getting my point. I am glad that they have a good record out that respects their legacy. As I pointed out, it's not about PFM in particular.
    No, actually, I don't get your point.

You specifically said, "just trying to raise a larger issue with all these reunions, where almost no original members are included."

it isn't a reunion.

I think a band with a continuous (they never stopped) 47 year history is not in any way cheating the audience or 'lying' if there is one original member, one member who joined in 1974 (Jan Patrick Djvas) and the rest are newer members who joined over the years / decades since they started in 1970 or so...

Caravan never stopped in their 50 year history. The only 'original' member is Pye Hastings. I mean, is he obligated to stop because Richard Coughlin died? Or because someone else in the band left after 12 years? etc etc etc.

I personally don't think so. These things have ebb and flow. There isn't any rule-book that you must explicitly follow to make sure that you aren't 'lying to the fans'.

You obviously feel differently and that's fine. But 45 years is a long time to expect five people to exclusively work together. This isn't the Rolling Stones and there isn't that kind of money or long-term reward involved.

and even the Stones are down to three original members. That piker Ron Wood doesn't count, even if he's got the hair look down....

imo.
    Last edited by Steve F.; 09-18-2017 at 03:26 PM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

At some point in time, perhaps in the prog world when Peter left and Phil took over (? ), bands became "teams" such as the Yankees or Cowboys, Red Wings, etc. where it didn't matter to them, the musicians involved as much as it did to the fans who was in said band and who wasn't anymore. King Crimson is another example. As for PFM, they were great when they played here a couple of years ago and I look forward to the new release and hopefully new shows in the year (s) ahead.

Does King Crimson qualify then as a 'reunion'? Several times they have disbanded and came back years later with new personnel excluding Fripp, starting with the Islands lineup and later on the Bruford-Wetton years.