Thread: RIP Brian Aldiss

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

RIP Brian Aldiss

Died 8/19 aged 92

I really liked his short stories, and I've read a few of his novels too. He chose pretty unconventional subjects for sci-fi. A contemporary of Moorcock, etc.

He wrote a sequel to HG Wells' Island of Dr Moreau which was pretty interesting. And Brothers of the Head, a book about a two-headed guy, and ONE head only was a rock star.

I'd love a large omnibus (or omnibi) of his work.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'd love a large omnibus (or omnibi) of his work.
    They could name it "Aldiss... And More."

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    They could name it "Aldiss... And More."
    Not bad!

I've read Aldiss since the 70s, so this is yet another loss from my teenage years. I have a coffee table book titled "Pile: Petals from St. Klaed's Computer" by Aldiss and beautifully illustrated by Mike Wilks. It's a very intriguing literary venture where the writing illuminates the large scale black and white line drawings of Wilks, which bring to mind both Escher and Alan Lee.

Pile.jpg
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Aldiss was one of the first authors I read when I got into Science Fiction in my teens. An Age (aka Cryptozoic) was a eye-opener to what Science Fiction could really do. His short stories in collections such as The Moment of Eclipse were fantastic. He was always challenging, interesting and human in his writing.

Sad that he has died, but it provides a welcome reminder that I really ought to re-read some of his novels.

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    His short stories in collections such as The Moment of Eclipse were fantastic. He was always challenging, interesting and human in his writing.

Sad that he has died, but it provides a welcome reminder that I really ought to re-read some of his novels.
    Yep!

Didn't see this earlier thread -

Sad to hear. It's been so long since I've read him. I believe I read the Helliconia triology back in the day and some of his others but memory fails me now. R.I.P. Brian

Hmm. The NY Times was a week late with their obit, hence my thread on the same started yesterday. I also enjoyed his short stories. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Hmm. The NY Times was a week late with their obit, hence my thread on the same started yesterday. I also enjoyed his short stories. RIP.
    Thanks for mentioning that, I hadn't thought to look for an obit, and it's a fascinating one! I have to read much more of his work.

https://nyti.ms/2w1qqbU

Rest in peace Brian Aldiss.

RIP to one of the grand masters of the genre
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

He was one of the founders of the New Wave of sci fi, that freed sci fi from pulp.

I read quite a bit of his stuff, as well as the other New Wave authors, back in the 70's.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell