Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Jerry Lewis & Dick Gregory

R.I.P. Jerry Lewis & Dick Gregory

Two giants

RIP

They deserve separate threads.

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

RIP Jerry Lewis.

Rest in peace funny man.

You too Jerry.
    Currently attempting to catch up on all of the chaos in the Market Square.

Two wildly different comedic performers that both made huge impacts. Although Lewis descended into mawkishness with his telethons he sure raised a lot of cash and changed people's lives. Gregory broke the color barrier for comedians and was monumental as an activist and humanitarian. And they both made so so so many people piss themselves laughing. I was just reading some Dick Gregory jokes and damn, he had some killer material. And as far as Lewis goes, well nothing matches the side-ache you got from seeing the Nutty Professor for the first time when you were seven years old.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

1st I saw of Jerry Lewis was Sailor Beware, still my favorite movie of his..I don't believe it was ever released, maybe now it will. RIP Jerry!
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Oh I see it has..
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    France has begun two weeks of mourning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll miss Dick Gregory's juice diet.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'll miss Dick Gregory's juice diet.
    He was a bit more than that

Perhaps I'll pull The King Of Comedy DVD off the shelf this week. RIP.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    A loss of two great people. Rest in peace, Mssrs Gregory and Lewis.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    He was a bit more than that
    I kind of thought so, but I really only remember his juice diet thing.

Look him up

I kind of thought so, but I really only remember his juice diet thing.
    He also wrote lyrics for Adele.

He appeared in an episode of "Sanford & Son," too.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The Jerry Lewis movie I always liked was a thing from the late 60's called The Big Mouth. He plays two roles in this picture: a goofy fisherman, and a mobster who the fisherman manages to reel out of the water. It's a crazy picture, but one I always enjoyed.

He was also great in an episode of Law And Order SVU, where he plays Richard Belzer's uncle, I think.

I wonder if now we might be able to see The Day The Clown Cried, since Jerry was one of the main reasons it was never released (supposedly, he was so embarrassed by it, he didn't ever want it to be seen).
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 08-21-2017 at 10:35 AM.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    There was a point in time when Jerry Lewis dominated the end of summer in my youth; a local TV station would have a Jerry Lewis marathon the weekend before the Labor Day telefon. It was as much a part of my youth as Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I wonder if now we might be able to see The Clown That Cried, since Jerry was one of the main reasons it was never released (supposedly, he was so embarrassed by it, he didn't ever want it to be seen).
    Wow, I just looked this up in Wikipedia (it's actually called The Day the Clown Cried). It sounds pretty bad, but I'd probably watch it if it somehow got released. This caused me to look up his movie "Hardly Working" in which he also plays a clown (if at first you don't succeed!). I remember seeing this in a theater, but I also it came out in Europe before it was released in the US. LOL.

Another really maudlin one was The Geisha Boy in which he befriends a Japanese woman and her son. He made some ok movies, but he also made a lot of really weird ones.

My favorite Jerry Lewis movie is The Bellboy. I believe it was his first solo movie. He plays a goofy bellboy in the Fountainbleu hotel in Miami Beach. He doesn't say a word in it until the end. Without a real story line, it's a series of sight gags; most are mighty funny.

Goodbye, Jerry. You made me laugh.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Here's a great obit on Dick Gregory

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituar...story,amp.html
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Wow, I just looked this up in Wikipedia (it's actually called The Day the Clown Cried). It sounds pretty bad, but I'd probably watch it if it somehow got released. .
    Like I was saying, The Day The Clown Cried, and not that I re-read the WIkipedia page, I realize that apart from Jerry's own objections to it being released, but apparently there was some legal snafu relating to the failure of the producer to get the proper rights to shoot the script from it's original authors, Joan O'Brien and Charles Denton. Also, apparently, they were upset that Jerry made a lot of changes in the script (particularly in relation to the lead character), which they felt was unforgivable. So it would seem we'd have to wait for them to pass away too, and even then, there might probably be a proviso in any of their wills saying the picture isn't to ever be released.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The Day The Clown Cried
    Lewis's doomed bid for respectability, he apparently cluelessly made his own "Springtime For Hitler," a lighthearted, breezy romp through Hitler's Germany, only in this case it's a concentration camp wherein a clown, played by Lewis, entertains children as they're marched to the gas chambers.

Unreleased and locked away, only a few people have seen it, one of whom is The Simpsons actor/comedian/etc. Harry Shearer, who also wrote this surreal behind-the-scenes account of Lewis's MD telethon:

http://harryshearer.com/wp-content/u...7/Telethon.pdf
    Last edited by mogrooves; 08-21-2017 at 11:21 AM.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Lewis's doomed bid for respectability, he apparently cluelessly made his own "Springtime For Hitler,"
    Wow. The Wikipedia article is DARK, makes the movie sound like a total abomination. If there's a single ounce of humor in it it would be totally inappropriate. Lewis, being proudly Jewish -- what was he thinking???

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    RIP Jerry Lee Lewis, according to CNN yesterday.