Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Achim Reichel / AR & Machines finally reissed in full on CD

Achim Reichel / AR & Machines finally reissed in full on CD

Badly translated from German, but good enough to understand that this will be everything and a lot more!

---------------

R & MACHINES - "THE ART OF GERMAN PSYCHEDELIC (1970-74)" - BOX SET RELEASE ON OCTOBER 27, 2017.

THEY SAY: "GOOD THING WANTS TO HAVE TIME". ALMOST FIVE DECADES AGO, ACHIM REICHEL HAD PASSED AWAY BEFORE HE DECIDED TO BRING BACK THE WORLD HIS MYSTERIOUS PROJECT AR & MACHINES. BEHIND EVERY GOOD RECORD IS A STORY AND REICHEL HAS SOME INTERESTING TO TELL.

Most of the Achim Reichel fans are not at all aware of the variety of music he consciously removed from the shop shelves before he started his singing career, which finally made him famous. Far away from his well-known hits like "Aloha Heja He" five studio albums were sleeping in the secret for almost half a century.

In the 1970s, a new generation of German artists, born after the Second World War, came into the limelight and Krautrock literally took over the music scene. The genre - the term Krautrock was influenced by British journalists to describe the fascinating fresh and clinically correct music "Made In Germany" - was composed of bands that have become legends: from Kraftwerk to Amon Düül, about New! And Can and of course AR & Machines. The artists were young, unrestrained and fearless. Electronics met on spirituality, thoroughbred musicians on technology and Achim Reichel on "his machines" machines.

A fortunate coincidence became the catalyst: When he was playing with his new Akai X330D tape machine, Achim Reichel discovered in Hamburg in the early 70s that he could build sound landscapes from guitar chimes. He spent hours in his room-the headphones on his ears-and bred his guitar orchestra. In her room at the Zippelhaus, opposite the Speicherstadt in Hamburg, he finally showed his creation to his musician friends. Instead of the initial reverence, inspiration emerged, each of the musicians jumped into the same boat, grabbed an instrument, and in the green mist the project was born.

AR & Machines recorded five studio albums. Her debut The Green Journey was released in 1971 on cassette and record and received with great helplessness. Even the press was not in a position to put the genre in a drawer. A milestone of the Krautrock - captured on tape. Cosmic Vibration and his "cosmic vibrations" - overlapping, distorted guitar licks, supported by live percussion and futuristic electro sounds - moved Brian Eno to such an extent that he even named his solo album "Another Green World" ,

The sequel album Echo was produced by Conny Plank shortly after completion of Kraftwerk 2. Orchestral arrangements, guitar choruses and genre-encompassing grooves capture the wild vibe of Hamburg of the 70s like a polaroid: a feeling of psychedelics, sexual freedom, and experimental side-jumps, which finds its climax in a double album that breaks out of liberation and escape from reality only So bursting.

AR3 and AR4 followed on Polydor's newly founded Krautrock sub-label Zebra. The members of AR & Machines teamed up with new musicians on a daily basis and each of them left their tracks on the recording tape. A trip to beatle-esqe spirituality inspired the last album Autovision. You will find the extract of the hour-long demo band, absorbed in solitude, between meditation and yoga, completed and bundled in an ultimate AR & Machines album.

The ideas were good, but the world was not ready yet. Almost 50 years after the AR & Machines recordings were taken from the shelves, the world has finally made the most important meters. The soul of the music suddenly broke out in the most unexpected places. DJs and producers discovered the records from the 70s and processed the iconic guitar chords to new songs. Music lovers and new, young fans contacted Reichel online, some even recognized him in restaurants, and asked when the material would see the daylight again.

Now it's time. It's time. Tickets for AR & Machines' first live comeback show on 15 September - strikingly in Hamburg's Elbphilharmonie - were out of hand.

"The Art Of German Psychedelic (1970-74)" (released Oct. 27, 2017) includes the five studio albums of AR & Machines, two live CDs and three bonus CDs with almost five hours of unpublished material, which Achim Reichel explored in his band archive Has.

On the album "Virtual Journey", which Reichel produced exclusively for the box set, he paired analogue pieces of his echo guitars with digital possibilities of the 21st century, using modern music production software. In this way he is able to transform AR & Machines into the present in a unique way.

There is also a compilation of the first remix attempts of 1996, which Reichel at the height of his singing career for his private pleasure tinkered and until now kept under lock and key. In addition, the package contains an opulent 96-page hardcover book: The Autobiography - The AR & Machines Story - filled with anecdotes about Reichel's wild years in Hamburg and the Krautrock scene.

They say: "Good thing wants to have time".
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Wow, this looks pretty phenomenal.

auto fucking buy
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Speaking about Prophets , in Germany Reichel is a famous singer songwriter and few people know about his early work (apart of having been the guitar player of the Rattles , who were kind of the Germans Beatles btw Reichel is a good friend of MC Cartney) and the other way round prog fans are not aware of his later work. I prefer personally his later work 'Regenballade' is a masterpiece of adapting classic German poetry , all lyrics linked to water with rock arrangements . Lutz Rahn from Novalis did some arrangements. 'Ungeschminkt' is my second favorite where he worked with contemporary authors. If you take the time to get into the lyrics it's worth checking out his later records. There are some great DVD's too. I prefer Manuel Göttschings echo guitar records.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9195 en utilisant Tapatalk
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    auto fucking buy
    Yeah, what he said !
    G.A.S -aholic

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Now it's time. It's time. Tickets for AR & Machines' first live comeback show on 15 September - strikingly in Hamburg's Elbphilharmonie - were out of hand.
    Fortunately, I was able to snag one of these. Can't wait.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I was never enamored by this band, but it will be hard for me to resist this box.
    No humor please, we're skittish.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

Looks like an interesting box.
    I have most of Achim Reichels solo work, 21 CDs, including Die grüne Reise and a Best of. No Rattles or Wonderland.

There are some live clips as well on the A.R. & Machines youtube channel

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    There are some live clips as well on the A.R. & Machines youtube channel

Looks interesting. Now hoping it will be available through one of the stores I use.

That's cool it is going to be released on my birthday...!

Once upon I time, it would have been an auto-buy, but I find myself not too interested unless it is priced under $50 US dollars, even then if I bought it, and after the initial listen, it would probably sit for 5 years before listen #2...

Nice package though...

I like what I have heard from AR on YouTube, but have none of his albums. And then I've also got the Art Zoyd box to go through in October...

But if this comes in at under $100 I'd consider it.

My expectations are admittedly impacted by the price of original vinyl on Discogs, but I will be pleased if this comes in under $200 CDN, and doesn't have totally screwed up sound (e.g. "remastering"!).

Our price will be in the $150-160 range.

At that price I am delighted. It's half the price of "Echo" with 9 bonus discs :-P

$150 is not unreasonable for this... I was a little optimistic when I was hoping for a $100 price. I think $100 would be fair for the ten discs alone but it looks like there is a really nice book as well. I remain intrigued.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Looks like an interesting box.
    I have most of Achim Reichels solo work, 21 CDs, including Die grüne Reise and a Best of. No Rattles or Wonderland.
    My surfing on YouTube suggests that AR has long left behind experimental music and has become a major star (in DE anyway, maybe NL as well?) playing what you could call schlager-rock. Is this accurate?

Yes. For many, many years.

The experimental / proggy / krautrock stuff is basically limited to the five AR/Machines albums.

And, yes, he became a major German singer-star after Machines.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    My surfing on YouTube suggests that AR has long left behind experimental music and has become a major star (in DE anyway, maybe NL as well?) playing what you could call schlager-rock. Is this accurate?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    You could say that, but he is not big in The Netherlands. I don't consider his music anywhere near the socalled schagers. He has often nice lyrics and did some albums with lyrics written by German poets. I like his music and have almost everything he did after A.R. and Machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    You could say that, but he is not big in The Netherlands. I don't consider his music anywhere near the socalled schagers. He has often nice lyrics and did some albums with lyrics written by German poets. I like his music and have almost everything he did after A.R. and Machines.
    Yeah, I don't think "schlager" is the right term, (that really means something *else* to Germans) though his post-70s music is definitely mainstream. I'd think of him as a peer with Herbert Groenemeyer or Udo Lindenberg. Also important is that Achim was a producer and publisher in the 70s. He owns the entire Novalis catalog (perhaps contentiously), and also started Gorilla Musik and the Ahorn label with the late Frank Dostal. Reichel was also a founding member of The Rattles in 1960, who were a if not "the" prominent German beat-era band. I believe they toured the UK with the Rolling Stones, and supported The Beatles during their final tour of Germany in 1966. Quite the career!

And then there's this:

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybricks
    Also important is that Achim was a producer and publisher in the 70s. He owns the entire Novalis catalog (perhaps contentiously), and also started Gorilla Musik and the Ahorn label
    And Zebra IIRC, which released a bunch of wonderful LPs in the early 1970s, including some stuff by A.R. & Machines themselves as well as Pinguin, Kin Ping Meh and, most surprisingly, two albums by my all-time favorite Danish band Dr. Dopo Jam.

Yes Achim Reichel is one of those German rock-artists, who were active from the start, like an equivalent of Paul McCartney or something like that. After The Rattles he also formed Wonderland and the shortlived Wonderland Band, before he went for a solo-carreer.