Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Achim Reichel / AR & Machines finally reissed in full on CD

FWIW, it is substantially cheaper to order from amazon.de and ship to the US. N
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I gave Grune Reise and Echo two more full virtual spins on YT today. GR is a warped classic--totally original Krautrock. I've never heard anything quite like it. Freaked out my kids. "Dad please turn that off!" "Now! Please?"

Echo isn't all that original or great. Duul and Ash Ra did this kind of thing better. On to the next one!

If you only like Grune Reise, you can grab that one on its own already.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Echo isn't all that original or great. Duul and Ash Ra did this kind of thing better. On to the next one!
    I think Echo is his best album. It doesn't remind me of Ash Ra or Amon Duul (I or II) in the slightest. Maybe hints of Faust in parts, but this is still in its own world IMO. An astounding work.

I was disappointed when I heard all these were coming out together, as I already have legit CDs of Die Grüne Reise, AR3 and Autovision. I would have loved to be able to replace A.R. IV and Echo, which I have on a pirated double CD, but I'm not buying the whole box just for that. I have no interest in the extras.

I am, on the other hand, happy this has been released for those who don't already have this material.
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

^^^ I'll give Echo some more listens this week and I'll see if I get a more nuanced feel for it. But a lot of it really did remind me of Yeti minus of course Renate's vocal.

At least listening to Echo won't scare the children.

Quote Originally Posted by no.nine View Post
    I think Echo is his best album. It doesn't remind me of Ash Ra or Amon Duul (I or II) in the slightest. Maybe hints of Faust in parts, but this is still in its own world IMO. An astounding work.
    Me too, though I have a soft spot too for IV.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Me too, though I have a soft spot too for IV.
    IV is also a good album... well, I mean, all of those AR & Machine albums are good... but for me, Echo rises above them all. It feels the most special.
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

OK, you guys win... Echo is fantastic. Just took me about 5 more spins to get it. The image that keeps coming back to me when listening is that I am sitting in a walled-in garden on a warm day and all these sounds are coming from outside the garden, some close by and some from beyond some hills in the distance. Maybe the world's first soundscapes album? If Arthur Lyman doesn't count...

Peter Hecht's orchestration tips me over the edge... a stunner. Have you heard IV yet? Jeder Tropfchen träumt vom Meer... talk about soundscapes!

Samples from Echo along with almost every track in the box set,the live stuff sounds fantastic.I ordered this box from Target and got a notice of delivery between 10-26 to 10-31 but also a delay notice until 11-16 ..not sure what to believe ,maybe it was delayed?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGfr0rit35g

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Yes Achim Reichel is one of those German rock-artists, who were active from the start, like an equivalent of Paul McCartney or something like that. After The Rattles he also formed Wonderland and the shortlived Wonderland Band, before he went for a solo-carreer.
    Btw Reichel and Mc Cartney are friends and see from time to time. That dates back to the time the Beatles played in Hamburg.
    I prefer Reichel's songwriting to his space guitar playing. His late 70's and early 80's records are very good with excellent lyrics.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9195 en utilisant Tapatalk
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by jamesc View Post
    I ordered this box from Target
    Like, uh, the US-based discount retailer Target? Achim Reichel at Target??! How did you pull that off?

When I keyed in Achim Reichel on Target.com, here's what I got:

target-achim.jpg

i thought it was strange as well but when I searched for the title on Google under shopping there it was.

Arrived in the USA. Contemplating leaving work early for this...

Arrived in the USA. Contemplating leaving work early for this...
    cool ,a small review when you have time would be awesome.

I ran into Joyce Sunday night at the KC show. I hope you are feeling better Steve.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

amazon.ca price has gone up $60 since my preorder... hope I'll get one at the original price.

Amazon US is at $139 and I can't even find it on Amazon ca. So I hope you do get your copy at the stated price, price guarantee and all that...

I do want to get this AR set at some point but I just got a big box o' Art Zoyd that I have to get through.

Definitely would love to read some reviews of this when you folks get 'em.

Arrived from Amazon.de, 95 euros delivered. Very impressive graphics and box; a trifold "album" that contains the 10CDs and a book. You can see what it's like from the video posted earlier. In German and English, Achim writes in detail about the entire era the box encompasses. Well written (as one would expect) and a lot of details about his modus operandi and how A.R & Machines fit in. He's very forthcoming about his commercial career vs the artistic one, and seems genuinely surprised that people would still want to hear A.R & Machines!

The discs... the first five are of course the first five A.R. & Machines albums plus Erholung (which was released under Achim's name; bonus tracks on IV, where Conny Plank tracked a couple practices as his way of setting up the studio for the "band" (which it kind of was for a little while). Bonus on Erholung (which was a live recording) are a couple more live tracks from Krefeld 1973.

Disc 7 is another live concert, this one Koln 1973. It's very much an improvised set, but if you've heard IV (which is probably my fav album), you'll kind of get where they're going - it's the same kind of mellow, floating, restful, slow churning vibe.

Disc 8 is remixes that were done in 1996, but for commercial reasons never released until now. Michael Wehr was the Audioframe operator, and it was as Achim writes, his entrée to digital recording. Edgar Froese guests on one track.

Disc 9 are the actual "source" tapes of Achim playing "echo guitar". Pretty amazing stuff. Just the guitar through the tape. Reicheltronics? Achimscapes? Exactly!

Disc 10 is another "dj" remix one, but this time with Nils Hoffmann, and the Ableton Live software. This is perhaps most similar to the A.R. & Machines concert at the Elphi in Hamburg was all about (yep, I was there).

I can't possibly imagine anything making this a better box set. Nothing missed, nothing short changed. Whether one digs the remixes or not is maybe a matter of taste. Some are kind of techno-y, but might have been what they were aiming for, so it's hard to criticize it for that.

I'll post an unboxing video soon enough.

Arrived from Amazon.de, 95 euros delivered. Very impressive graphics and box; a trifold "album" that contains the 10CDs and a book. You can see what it's like from the video posted earlier. In German and English, Achim writes in detail about the entire era the box encompasses. Well written (as one would expect) and a lot of details about his modus operandi and how A.R & Machines fit in. He's very forthcoming about his commercial career vs the artistic one, and seems genuinely surprised that people would still want to hear A.R & Machines!

The discs... the first five are of course the first five A.R. & Machines albums plus Erholung (which was released under Achim's name; bonus tracks on IV, where Conny Plank tracked a couple practices as his way of setting up the studio for the "band" (which it kind of was for a little while). Bonus on Erholung (which was a live recording) are a couple more live tracks from Krefeld 1973.

Disc 7 is another live concert, this one Koln 1973. It's very much an improvised set, but if you've heard IV (which is probably my fav album), you'll kind of get where they're going - it's the same kind of mellow, floating, restful, slow churning vibe.

Disc 8 is remixes that were done in 1996, but for commercial reasons never released until now. Michael Wehr was the Audioframe operator, and it was as Achim writes, his entrée to digital recording. Edgar Froese guests on one track.

Disc 9 are the actual "source" tapes of Achim playing "echo guitar". Pretty amazing stuff. Just the guitar through the tape. Reicheltronics? Achimscapes? Exactly!

Disc 10 is another "dj" remix one, but this time with Nils Hoffmann, and the Ableton Live software. This is perhaps most similar to the A.R. & Machines concert at the Elphi in Hamburg was all about (yep, I was there).

I can't possibly imagine anything making this a better box set. Nothing missed, nothing short changed. Whether one digs the remixes or not is maybe a matter of taste. Some are kind of techno-y, but might have been what they were aiming for, so it's hard to criticize it for that.

I'll post an unboxing video soon enough.
    Thanks for the info!I was afraid the text would all be in German.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry bricks
    Achim writes in detail about the entire era the box encompasses. Well written (as one would expect) and a lot of details about his modus operandi and how A.R & Machines fit in. He's very forthcoming about his commercial career vs the artistic one, and seems genuinely surprised that people would still want to hear A.R & Machines!
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberry bricks
    Even though I flew to Hamburg to see them and have been a big fan for many years, I was hesitating to get this set because of the price and because I'm not much into CDs these days (only got to play them on my PC anyway, no separate CD-playing facilities here anymore). But reading this, I've just made up my mind. Sounds awesome, and goes into my auto-buy list.

It is still on my wishlist. It looks like I'm getting my Achim Reichel solo collection completed. Just ordered the 2 albums I'm missing and when I pick those up from the store where I ordered them, I might order this box, although their price is just under 150 euros. But well, it is a shop I like, because they offer good service and I can easy pay with my bank-account, without much hasle. No paying in advance, no creditcard or other options I don't have.

Ordered it today. Probably will arive at the end of this week. Not sure when I'm going to pick it up.

I have it and played the first four albums. Discovered two small mistakes in the musicians in the book. One missing 't' in Helmuth Franke on the list for Echo and on the line-up for AR 3 Manfred Rörup should be Manfred Rürup.

Yes I'm a nit-picker, that is why I like The Nits.

Anyone in North America get this yet?I keep getting postponed notices on my order,now until Dec 9.