Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buying One's Musical History As One Ages

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    I'll agree about the music education. I was in band/orchestra in high school and my tastes went from Top 40 to "all over the place" almost overnight.
    Yep me too - I went from Status Quo/Johnny Winter/Rory Gallagher/Yes/Bowie to Shostakovich/Bartok/Eastern European Music/ Indian and Arabic popular, folk and classical music to Xenakis/Berio/Tippett and just kept going always gathering more never ditching anything. Now when I hear music I don't like or 'get' I feel like it's a failing on my part and question why I am having that reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    ... But I'm surprised how the rock of the classic period has retained its durability in a way that seems to exceed that of popular music from previous eras.

Bill
    I wonder if that is only because there is a large population at this time who 'know it', meaning it's fresh in their minds. My parents are in their 80's and so were 16 around 1950. They tell of going to see Frank Sinatra in concert. There are only so many left of their generation, as opposed to the Boomers who came of age with rock.

I know that are still Trad Jazz festivals, Dixie-land jazz, big band fans, bluegrass, classical concerts still have music written in the 1600, 1700, 1800's etc. Heck, I used to play in a fife and drum corps that plays music from French and Indian War thru Civil War period and still has a following for that type of music; bagpipe bands; Irish music - The base might be smaller, but still active ....
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

When I was in high school band we did one number for the music contest that was really difficult. We were in a small rural town so it wasn't like there were a lot of prodigies in the band. This piece had a few time changes that were rather gnarly for us and we had to do a lot of rehearsing to get it right. But the damn thing just blazed like a hurricane with some nice dynamics. It certainly helped to trigger an interest in music that was beyond AM pop.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by bigbassdrum View Post
    I wonder if that is only because there is a large population at this time who 'know it', meaning it's fresh in their minds. My parents are in their 80's and so were 16 around 1950. They tell of going to see Frank Sinatra in concert. There are only so many left of their generation, as opposed to the Boomers who came of age with rock.
    I was saying I was surprised how durable rock has been with the POST boomers. Classic rock still seems to have a decent audience among younger people, many of whom are exposed to it through their parents, or come to it on their own.

That doesn't negate anything else you said, which I agree with, but it isn't what I was talking about.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I was saying I was surprised how durable rock has been with the POST boomers. Classic rock still seems to have a decent audience among younger people, many of whom are exposed to it through their parents, or come to it on their own.

That doesn't negate anything else you said, which I agree with, but it isn't what I was talking about.

Bill
    Ah yes - sorry - I had only glommed onto your last sentence ...

So on that, I wish my nephew (around 30?) would stop yapping about hip-hop ... He'll try and try to tell you about the subtlety of various songs. Not that he could be 100% correct, it's just too much ...

Alright, I'm probably the same yapping about prog and rock in general to him; "but you don't understand! The interplay between Squire and Bruford ..."
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

I lost all my possessions in a fire 15 years ago (including all my vinyl.) Decided not to replace. Changed my mind.

Now my life is officially over.

Fiendishly recreating the record collection of my youth...
    The Prog Corner

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbassdrum View Post
    So on that, I wish my nephew (around 30?) would stop yapping about hip-hop ... He'll try and try to tell you about the subtlety of various songs.
    This bowel movement has slightly more corn in it than that one...