Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What Are The Biggest/Smallest Shows You've Been To?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I have seen Cellar & Point and Claudia Quintet at the Lilypad in Cambridge which can barely hold 30 comfortably, I'd hate to see them at their stated capacity of 90.

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I saw Los Trios Marillos in Tower Records on West fourth, and that was quite good. I think there was a show at Webster Hall the next night so that evening turned into an NYC Marillion fan love fest.

Another I enjoyed was Maria McKee (from Lone Justice) at HMV on East 86th street.

Biggest: Both estimated to be 500,000 people were Simon and Garfunkel central park 1981 all we could see was the big silo by the stage and wound up leaving halfway through the show. Genesis in Rome 2007 our amazing taxi driver dropped us off right behind the stage minutes before it started and we made our way somewhere into the middle of crowd far back from the stage great time!

Smallest in 2015 I went to London to see David Gilmour and Steven Wilson both playing Royal Albert hall in the same week. I always wanted to go Albert Hall so this presented a great opportunity. On our trip we somehow got word that Theo Travis (who had previously toured with Wilson but was not on this tour) was having a new album launch at a place called The Crypt located in the basement of a church (St. Giles). His new release was called Transgression. To our amazement there was maybe only 10 of us there one of them being Steve DiStanislao who was presently drumming on David Gilmours rattle that lock tour. Also out of that 10 people we met two other New Yorkers who had also come to London to see the shows at Royal Albert Hall and they persuaded us to join them into going to Ronnie Scotts and catch the late show by the Loose Tubes. Needless to say we had a great week!

Lucky Man
    Yes gfto tour Springfield Ma. and it wasn't crowd size but general admission with that crunch at the door... mere months after the awful Who crowd trample.

Near tragedy averted.
    Holdsworth, QE2 Albany NY, maybe '87. 2nd of two shows that night. Maybe 40 folks. Best bar show I'll ever see. And much as I love me some Yes, the better performance

Quote Originally Posted by Frankh View Post
    Yes gfto tour Springfield Ma. and it wasn't crowd size but general admission with that crunch at the door... mere months after the awful Who crowd trample.
    Uhm, the Going Fro The One tour was in 77. The Who nightmare in Cincinnati was in 79.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Another I enjoyed was Maria McKee (from Lone Justice) at HMV on East 86th street.
    I saw Maria twice in LA in the early 00s. She was still quite a draw there at the time, maybe still today? Packed the Roxy for two nights straight each time. about 300-400 per show.

Regarding the original question, I have no idea what the largest show I have seen is. Probably something at the Spectrum in Phila. Probably Genesis in '86. They had sold out the whole arena including behind the stage.

As for the smallest, I tie Steve F on this one. I went to the early show of the TS monk sextet at the Jazz Bakery in LA. I was the only one there. They played their asses off for me, asked for requests, it was pretty funny and they didn't seem to mind. About 5-6 people showed up for the late show. They were there for 3 more nights so I hope things picked up for them.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I have seen Cellar & Point and Claudia Quintet at the Lilypad in Cambridge which can barely hold 30 comfortably, I'd hate to see them at their stated capacity of 90.

Sad. Claudia Quintet deserves so much more than 30...

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    It's a terrific little club.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Lucky Man
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Uhm, the Going Fro The One tour was in 77. The Who nightmare in Cincinnati was in 79.
    Once again, the time that intervenes may have clouded my perception. The microdot before the show may also play a role. I remember dozens of us almost getting pushed through a tall, wide window in the preshow crush.
    Donovan opened. It was the first time I got to see Awaken, a favorite and well rendered that night considering this was it's debut tour. Maybe hearing about the Cincinnati disaster two years later reminded me of my experience and years and substances and herbs have mashed the recollections into one another.
    The entire experience turned me off to larger venues which I have mostly avoided since.

Biggest: probably Queen + Paul Rodgers in a London park.

Smallest: I saw an early show (I think their first, more an open rehearsal) by Harmony in Diversity (with Peter Banks on guitar, Andrew Booker on drums and Nick Cottam on bass). So three of them and the audience was two, me and someone else. Second place probably Konk Pack with Tim Hodgkinson in a pub in New Cross, London -- there were 19 of us in the audience to begin with, although a few latecomers took us to over 25.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

I only saw this thread now, great thread and I got to say the more interesting shows mentioned were tge smaller ones...
    My biggest was probably Desert Trip festival (the who, stones, neil young, dylan, roger waters and paul mccartney) - about 70000 in attendance.

Smallest shows - Eugene Chadbourne (seen him 3 times, one time had ~20, 2 times less than 10)
    Uz Jsme Doma - also ~10 ppl
    The smallest was Susan Alcorn - 3 ticket buyers and the rest were the staff of the venue.

I couldn't think of a smallest show worth mentioning until yesterday's.

Largest was The Red Hot Chilli Peppers with James Brown at Hyde Park in 2004 - 86,000

The Peter Hammill shows I've seen in Japan have been in very small venues - at the Pit Inn tonight there were less than 70 and I think almost all seats were taken. But last night, in Sapporo, there were 13 of us, plus the promoter, the guy doing the merch table, and the barman. Again, all seats taken (maybe they only put out the right number?).

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Back in 2012 Bill Berends did some shows of all Mahavishnu Orchestra covers, under the name Treasures of the Spirit. I caught him in a rare NYC show at 92YTribeca with a very small but appreciative audience. I'd been bugging Bill for years to try to get into the city again, and I worked in Tribeca at the time, so this was a no brainer. Great show, here's a video:

Probably Uz Jsme Doma at Old Ironsides in Sacramento. Admission was $4. The audience was mostly the other (local headlining) band who had never heard of their opener. Before starting to play, the second band apologized in advance for being completely incapable of getting near the previous performance.

^ Throwing in the towel before the opening bell!

Biggest was probably Heatwave at Mosport near Toronto (Talking Heads, Elvis Costello, B-52s, Pretenders, and more...Clash were supposed to play but it never happened...). Don't know numbers but close to 100k I imagine.

Smallest show....uhhhh.... seeing Mahogany Frog play a scorching set in a living room size club for a. the bartender b. me c. the members of the warm up band. LOL

Largest: June 4, 1977: Soldier Field held the Super Bowl of Rock concert featuring Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Foghat, The J. Geils Band and The Climax Blues Band. 80,000 people attended.
    Smallest: Oct 26, 1985. 50 people for the Red Hot Chili Peppers at the Cabaret Metro in Chicago. I was told it was a great funk band from LA who had an album produced by George Clinton. I was expecting something like the Ohio Players and got 4 white punks from LA... Good show.

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    One of the ProgDay pre-shows I attended, I think there were like six of us left by the end of French TV. And it was a great show.
    You might be thinking of the 2002 preshow at Local 506. French TV was the third of three bands (following Dark Aether Project and Smokin' Granny). French TV ended their final song by segueing into the last minute or so of Tales from Topographic Oceans.

If that's the show you're thinking of, I was one of the six. That show went pretty late (past midnight if I remember right), and very few people hang around that deep into a ProgDay preshow. Partly because they have to be up relatively early the next day, and partly because there are probably beers calling their names back at the hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    Biggest was probably Heatwave at Mosport near Toronto (Talking Heads, Elvis Costello, B-52s, Pretenders, and more...Clash were supposed to play but it never happened...). Don't know numbers but close to 100k I imagine.
    At the time, after The Clash cancelled, I wouldn't have been caught dead near Mosport that day; but with hindsight nowadays, I wish I'd gone after all ... Especially that TH had the extended line-up (stop making sense)
    No remorse though, just a little regret...

the full line-up:
    Vladymir Rogov's ARKITEX
    Teenage Head
    BB Gabor
    Holly and the Italians
    Rockpile featuring Dave Edmunds and Nick Lowe
    The Rumour (without Graham Parker)
    The B-52's
    Talking Heads
    The Pretenders
    Elvis Costello and the Attractions
    The Kings

========================

I ended up never seeing The Clash, since when they toured with The Who on theur farewell tour, we had Joe Jackson instead of them at the CNE.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Seeing Rockpile would have been worth wading through some of the dross.

never been to a stadium show so i got to go with MSG in NYC as biggest- many artists
    the smallest would be Starland Ballroom in Sayreville NJ- saw Kansas

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    At the time, after The Clash cancelled, I wouldn't have been caught dead near Mosport that day; but with hindsight nowadays, I wish I'd gone after all ... Especially that TH had the extended line-up (stop making sense)
    No remorse though, just a little regret...

the full line-up:
    Vladymir Rogov's ARKITEX
    Teenage Head
    BB Gabor
    Holly and the Italians
    Rockpile featuring Dave Edmunds and Nick Lowe
    The Rumour (without Graham Parker)
    The B-52's
    Talking Heads
    The Pretenders
    Elvis Costello and the Attractions
    The Kings

========================

I ended up never seeing The Clash, since when they toured with The Who on theur farewell tour, we had Joe Jackson instead of them at the CNE.
    Yeah the Talking Heads were absolutely out of this world, truly one of the best shows I've seen. The rest of the day is much more a haze...we sat back for most of the day, but then waded up as close to front as we could get for the TH. I remember the B-52s tearing it right up...and I remember Elvis Costello being pretty anti-climactic having the sad task of coming on after TH. I barely paid attention lol