Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Who Are Your Favorite "New" Guitarists

Quote Originally Posted by Orcopian View Post
    Chris Fry from Magenta is one of the most exciting live players I have seen.
    Agree with many mentioned in this thread. I'll give another shout out for Mr. Fry. Surprised it took until the third page to mention him. He was great a NEARFest 2007.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Another one that I don't believe was mentioned yet is Alan Morse.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    Another one that I don't believe was mentioned yet is Alan Morse.
    Yes. I sort of fell off the Spock's Beard bandwagon when Neal left, but I know on the older records, Alan can go from aggressive to melancholy and do it all melodically.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

There's only one the tops them all. I've been saying this for a couple years now. But why believe me, I'm just an idiot schmo .

When Pat Matheny says the exact same thing though, people should pay attention:

"The best guitar player I’ve heard in maybe my entire life is floating around now, Pasquale Grasso. This guy is doing something so amazingly musical and so difficult.Mostly what I hear now are guitar players who sound a little bit like me mixed with a little bit of Sco and a little bit of Frisell, using a couple of amps onstage with a little bit of delay. Then they say they don’t listen to me or Sco or Frisell; all they listen to is Grant Green. I kind of go, “Really?” (laughs) What’s interesting about Pasquale is that he doesn’t sound anything like that at all. In a way, it is a little bit of a throwback, because his model – which is an incredible model to have – is Bud Powell. He has somehow captured the essence of that language from piano onto guitar in a way that almost nobody has ever addressed. He’s the most significant new guy I’ve heard in many, many years. That’s exciting for me."

-Pat Metheny

Kavus Torabi --- of Gong --- especially for his songwriting

Jamie Holka --- touring with Captain Beyond at the moment --- his electric style reminds me of Adrian Belew, fast and wild

Second the vote on Pasquale Grasso. In addition to being an incredible jazz player, his classical chops are impeccable!

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    There's only one the tops them all. I've been saying this for a couple years now. But why believe me, I'm just an idiot schmo .

When Pat Matheny says the exact same thing though, people should pay attention:

"The best guitar player I’ve heard in maybe my entire life is floating around now, Pasquale Grasso. This guy is doing something so amazingly musical and so difficult.Mostly what I hear now are guitar players who sound a little bit like me mixed with a little bit of Sco and a little bit of Frisell, using a couple of amps onstage with a little bit of delay. Then they say they don’t listen to me or Sco or Frisell; all they listen to is Grant Green. I kind of go, “Really?” (laughs) What’s interesting about Pasquale is that he doesn’t sound anything like that at all. In a way, it is a little bit of a throwback, because his model – which is an incredible model to have – is Bud Powell. He has somehow captured the essence of that language from piano onto guitar in a way that almost nobody has ever addressed. He’s the most significant new guy I’ve heard in many, many years. That’s exciting for me."

-Pat Metheny

Maybe my ear isn't tuned to this correctly. For some reason it sounds as if he's playing a different song than the backing band.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

#1 David Maxim Micic.
    #2 David Maxim Micic.
    #3 David Maxim Micic

Pasquale Grasso is stupidly amazing; look at those fast arachnoid fingers; I NEVER heard of him before this. Thanks.

And check this!

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Pasquale Grasso is stupidly amazing; look at those fast arachnoid fingers; I NEVER heard of him before this. Thanks.

And check this!

Holy smoke he can play!!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I keep expecting his hand to jump on someone's face and lay an egg.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I keep expecting his hand to jump on someone's face and lay an egg.

yeah, it kinda was like that, wasn't it??!!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Here is the story about Pascuale -- from an early age, both he and his brother Luigi, a tenor sax player, came under the tutelage of Barry Harris, One of the last remaining vestiges to the bebop era ( if you don't know who he is, As Barry said, if they came up in Detroit, from Paul chambers to James Jamerson and Motown, they studied music with him ).

Technique wise, Pasquale has really mastered the art of hybrid picking, of using pick and fingers in a pianistic way, A manner in which not only does he grab the incidental note, but he can combine any combination of dyads, triads, clusters, partial chords, seventh chords, rootless voicings , harmonized lines, contrary motion and counterpoint. You can also use hybrid picking to play fast arpeggiated lines that plectrum only pickers may previously use something like cross picking (eg, D-D-U patterns) to emulate finger style atpeggiated picking. In the development of hybrid picking, he was very much influenced by an older musician and guitarist named Chuck Wayne, and studied with one of Chuck wayne's students . Hybrid picking allows you to use both the pick and the fingers in a way that is the best of both worlds. In terms of straight plectrum picking, he eschews straight D-U alternative picking ( John McLaughlin, Al de Meola ) which he says is too mechanical and machine-like , for directional – economy – sweep picking. He also borrows from his classical training and finds his locus of control not in the elbow, or wrist, but the thumb and index finger . That allows him greater control and less movement, which increases the speed of attack .

The problem with his recordings, such as they exist, is that the guitar is recorded often very badly, like it's a bootleg or something. He plays a beautiful guitar, a fully carved model made by Bryant Trenier, with a specially made floating Charlie Christian style pick up made by Pete Bitloff.

If you knew anything about all Charlie Christian pick ups, you knew that they were 2 pound heavy magnets that were screwed onto the guitar. The new floating pick up's by Pete Bitloff are incredible .

This is probably more than you wanted to know about Pasquale but I've studied him a lot and I've changed my technique from 100% finger style to hybrid picking because of him. . Anybody that aspires to play pianistic style solo guitar, needs to study him.

^ ^ ^

I went to his website: He has no live dates. Weird.

AND

as you say, every release he has that is official, given a quick sampling, sounds awful. double weird.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Hey is based in NYC. Sometimes he goes overseas, he is from Italy after all, and his brother Luigi is based in Paris. Right now, last time I checked his Facebook page, he was performing with musicians in Israel. But as you can see from his Facebook page, he usually plays several times a week in local restaurants and very small clubs in New York City, when he is in town .

Yes, Someone with proper technical knowledge needs to help him record a proper record with a decent sound. Great thing is he is a great jazz position so there's no huge overhead costs, he could knock out a proper record in a couple hours or a day at most.

My favorite current guitarist is Roberto Diaz from Anima Mundi.

Hello!
    I forgot to mention Dewa Bajana and I share the enthusiasm and admiration for Pasquale Grasso !! 👍🏼

Thanks N_Singh for the H.U.!

Of interest and about Pasquale too:
    http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...asquale+grasso

Pura vida!!.
    Last edited by TCC; 08-31-2017 at 12:14 AM.

Don't think Markus Reuter of Stick Men has been mentioned. He turned 45 today

from Mexico...Robbin Blanco

from Italy...Alessandro Di Virgilio

i.ain't.dead.irock

I don't believe anyone's mentioned Jake Cinninger from Umphreys McGee, Highly underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by dregsfan View Post
    I dig Plini (that's his first name and what he goes by). Most of his music has been released digitally, but he did release a physical cd last year called "Handmade Cities." I hear Vai as his biggest influence.
    Really enjoying Handmade Cities. I agree with the Vai reference, and I hear some really original directions with some of the songs, especially Electric Sunrise - - -

Besides some of the players already listed these three come to mind right away:
    Hirvonen is also on a couple of Brian Krock albums...both of those should work for anyone who likes Claudia Quintet or Tipographica.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fToH7FdEFRs ...Only have heard Meszaros w/ Ju, really like his use of pedals and the overall sound he gets from the SGV.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BkRKC6NIgM Seabrook is on a couple of Ben Allison records and has played w/ Allison Miller. (may be a little more depraved than the other two).

Not really new , but I like Julian Lage a lot!

no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone