Thread: King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard

PiscesPraematurus PiscesPraematurus's Avatar

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard

Does anyone listen to this band? I read some reviews and took the plunge on Quarters. It's an OK album. I was a underwhelmed but the guitar playing is clever. The second song has a touch of Canterbury that I enjoyed. I liked the album better than what I've heard from Temples and Tame Impala but I felt it was overhyped. I'm curious about their other albums but I'm not willing to drop dollars on something of the same bend...

I could be wrong but I think Lino started a thread on these guys. Do a search and you can see what's been said before.

They are prolific, that's for sure and they have enough quirky ideas to not be boring. Flying Microtonal Banana and Nonagon Infinity are solid releases, I've heard samples from the newest Murder of the Universe and sounds very intriguing. I like psych and like that these guys seem to be breaking some new ground without falling into the retro trap.

What I like about the band is their name. Not really into their music.

Quote Originally Posted by PiscesPraematurus View Post
    I'm curious about their other albums but I'm not willing to drop dollars on something of the same bend...
    https://kinggizzard.bandcamp.com/music

You can stream all of their albums for free on their bandcamp before you buy. They've explored a lot of different sounds over their short career, and have released a lot of albums. I wouldn't write them off just because you didn't care for Quarters. They just released a new album yesterday Sketches of Brunswick East (their 3rd album this year) that sounds nothing like the others...I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Nonagon Infinity released last year was pretty good too. The ending of that one loops back up with the beginning of the first song.

I've yet to see them live, but judging from youtube videos looks like they put on a pretty good show. Although I've yet to see the benefit of them having two drummers.

Quote Originally Posted by PiscesPraematurus View Post
    Does anyone listen to this band? I read some reviews and took the plunge on Quarters. It's an OK album. I was a underwhelmed but the guitar playing is clever. The second song has a touch of Canterbury that I enjoyed. I liked the album better than what I've heard from Temples and Tame Impala but I felt it was overhyped. I'm curious about their other albums but I'm not willing to drop dollars on something of the same bend...
    I just discovered what, I think, is their last album. So far I like what I hear. Not sure how this stacks up against older releases.

they've released at least 3 albums in 2017.

I will confess I do like some of their music, but it is a bit moody, and like some of the Elephant 6 bands or even some of the early Cloud Cult records, their albums can be a bit of a chore to get through (or their catalog).

I mean maybe they should sign up with Buckethead or Omar Rodriguez-Lopez in the contest for most albums released in the least amount of time, lol.

I could easily see them working with a producer and spending like 2 or 3 years on 1 record (or even a double) and putting together something special.

That being said, in my blog, originally compared them in some ways to Pepe Deluxe, in that they use and seem to have a lot of retro sounds, but I'd be surprised if they ever compare in my taste to Pepe Deluxe.