Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paris Soleil Zeuhl festival- did I miss the announcement?

^ This will happen during one day, ca 4-15 september. Check jazzalavillette.com in may for details.
    Last edited by unclemeat; 04-11-2013 at 11:30 AM.

Hmmm, sounds very tempting but this means I need to stay there for an extra week..
    Too expensive for me

Bummers, seems like the John Zorn marathon is just one day, on the 7\9...
    Thats 2 weeks before the RIO fest, no chance I will be able to spend so much time in france (both financially and mentally :P )

First update of the event :

The vinyl version of ESKATON "4 visions' (the very 1st vinyl issue EVER!) will be released a few days prior to the festival.
    Band members Marc Rozenberg, Andre Bernardi & Paule Kleynnaert will have a table for those who wish to get a dedication. Also, having recently reformed, they will very probably have either a new album or a maxi CD to sell.

A.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Soleilzeuhl View Post
    First update of the event :

The vinyl version of ESKATON "4 visions' (the very 1st vinyl issue EVER!) will be released a few days prior to the festival.
    Band members Marc Rozenberg, Andre Bernardi & Paule Kleynnaert will have a table for those who wish to get a dedication. Also, having recently reformed, they will very probably have either a new album or a maxi CD to sell.A.
    Excellent news!!
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I'll be at thev Hotel des Vosges...

I had to phone, because the website mentionned in Alain's selected hotel page is not valid (anymore)

Sooo, I plan to get to Paris in the mid-morning, visit Souffle Continu (not too far away from the hotel and rthe concert hall) and maybe grab a good bite defore the show (anyone interested to join and know a good address in the area??)

BTW: at what time do the doors open at Le Zebre? and the first band starts playing at?? (this is still a tentative time on the SZ time, I believe)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Bought my ticket for the Zorn marathon referred to above. This will actually be my first time seeing him, apart from a brief encounter ten years ago at the Downtown Music Gallery record shop in NYC (Zorn was dropping by to give them flyers for his then-upcoming 50th birthday celebrations...). I guess this has to be THE occasion to NOT miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    BTW: at what time do the doors open at Le Zebre? and the first band starts playing at?? (this is still a tentative time on the SZ time, I believe)
    Doors will open at 5 pm for a first show (Unit Wail) @ 5.30
    Considering the hall must be empty at 11.30 pm - there is no time to lose and the planning is strict!

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Bought my ticket for the Zorn marathon referred to above. This will actually be my first time seeing him, apart from a brief encounter ten years ago at the Downtown Music Gallery record shop in NYC (Zorn was dropping by to give them flyers for his then-upcoming 50th birthday celebrations...). I guess this has to be THE occasion to NOT miss.
    I have seen a 3 day festival with some of these acts in full show each, it was MINDBLOWING

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Still jealous, but still more grateful that this is happening in some part of the world!
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Doors will open at 5 pm for a first show (Unit Wail) @ 5.30
    Considering the hall must be empty at 11.30 pm - there is no time to lose and the planning is strict!
    Plans for a after-party ?

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Plans for a after-party ?
    There is a nice bar/restaurant close to the Zebre.(10 min walk) It's called La Sardine,(32 Rue Sainte-Marthe, 75010 Paris) it opens on a yard with trees and when the weather is fine you can sit outside and have a bit of a countryside athmosphere in Paris. If you can't sit outside it's a bit carmmed inside, but then the more the merry! It's open up to 2am.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    There is a nice bar/restaurant close to the Zebre.(10 min walk) It's called La Sardine,(32 Rue Sainte-Marthe, 75010 Paris) it opens on a yard with trees and when the weather is fine you can sit outside and have a bit of a countryside athmosphere in Paris. If you can't sit outside it's a bit carmmed inside, but then the more the merry! It's open up to 2am.
    Sounds good to me Martin...

Hope to see you there.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Sounds good to me Martin...

Hope to see you there.
    Salut Hugues,
    me too!

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Salut Hugues,
    me too!
    La Sardine sounds like an excellent idea... not even 10 mins walk, IMHO... Given the "planches" they have on menu, they sound like they are of Auvergnat origins (always a quality insurance in Paris)

but it's probably fairly trendy, so it'sprobably safe to book a table (but for how many?), if they still serve up food after 23h30 ... Because we'll probably hungry afterwards (unless Alain has foreseen food vendors in the premises, though I'd haven't read that anywhere) and if the schedule is rather tight (4 groups between 17h30 and 22h30), we'll probably not have time to grab a proper bite between two shows.

Count me in if it's after the event.

You guy's meeting up with Steve (Progeezer) somewhere? There?
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I am currently looking for a place for having dinner with the bands after the shows. More news soon - probably this week-end.

INSIDE the concert hall there is a bar. They are supposed to propose light snacks too but I have no details. Anyway, in this area of town there are plenty of small restaurants, kebabs, asian cuisine etc.

For those who will have a bit of leisure time in Paris and willing to explore nice record shops around, I made a detailed list that you can download on this page : http://www.soleilzeuhl.com/en/soleil-zeuhl/festival/
    Click the link (above the Zebre picture) named "While in Paris...."

A.

Thanks Alain, I am definately going to explore some of them!
    Also count me in for any before/during/after-party dinners and gatherings you guys are planning here

For those who will have a bit of leisure time in Paris and willing to explore nice record shops around, I made a detailed list that you can download on this page : http://www.soleilzeuhl.com/en/soleil-zeuhl/festival/
    Click the link (above the Zebre picture) named "While in Paris...."

A.
    Thanks Alain... As I had mentionned, Souffle Continu was on my list... and obviously Parallèles as well.
    I won't venture onto the rive gauche to look for music (but I will for books and graphic novels)

To everyone, FNAC and some other "cultural supermarkets" like Espace Culture Le Clerc or Cultura are very uneven inside their franchise networks (the Leclerc in Nates East had a phenomenal psych-prog selection last winter, but it's all gone)....
    Don't even look for the Virgin megastores anymore: the legendary shop on the Champs Elysées is now closed (or nearly emptied)...
    FNAC are quite uneven as well: Les Halles is definitely the best one for people on this board (it's the only one with a prog section), but they don't go to far underground/obscurity

While the Zeuhl/avant-prog section in the Fnac at Les Halles is pretty good [thanks to the guy in charge of the jazz section who has a soft spot for these genres], prog in general isn't well served in this store (or any Fnac for that matter - prog sections are long gone), and for me Gibert has the best selection... More symph-oriented on the whole, but they have most of the AltrOck and Cuneiform prog-oriented releases. They also stock a lot of second-hand CDs.

This being said, Alain's PDF is great - there are actually a couple of stores in there I'd never heard about !

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    While the Zeuhl/avant-prog section in the Fnac at Les Halles is pretty good [thanks to the guy in charge of the jazz section who has a soft spot for these genres], prog in general isn't well served in this store (or any Fnac for that matter - prog sections are long gone), and for me Gibert has the best selection... More symph-oriented on the whole, but they have most of the AltrOck and Cuneiform prog-oriented releases. They also stock a lot of second-hand CDs.

This being said, Alain's PDF is great - there are actually a couple of stores in there I'd never heard about !
    There was one point, maybe 10-15years ago, where there was a section in Les Halles (of coursse that was a over decade ago, when my parents still lived in Paris - from 99 until 02)... Things change of course... But amongst some Belgian proggers the Les Halles FNAC store still has some kind of "prog aura"... But naturally you'd know better, so I'll take your word for it

Yeah, I must say that Bimbo, Plus De Bruit, Gilda and Jazz Corner, I didn't know about... Happy to know that Crocodisc still exist, too
    Last edited by Trane; 08-31-2013 at 05:22 AM.

I'm late to the party.
    I'll be staying at the des vosges and afterwards couch surfing in albi (unless somebody wants to share their room at the Auberge????)

It will be cool meeting everybody. I'm the one that looks like me, likely with an Ahvak shirt.

I have a room to myself in Auburge so your welcome to share that
    Ian