Thread: Geddy Lee on "How I Met Your Mother"

Geddy Lee on "How I Met Your Mother"

Did anyone catch this? Totally didn't expect to see him, though I guess it makes sense with Jason Segel on the show after "I Love You, Man". It was supposed to be a clip from a Canadian "Behind the Music" type show on the downfall of Robin Sparkles. I thought it was pretty funny, especially his line about "Part of Canada Died that night".

Missed it, but I've seen the great Rush episode of South Park.

Last weekend we were watching an old Saturday Night Live from around 1979 and in the skit "Cow Minder's Daughter," the late. great Gilda Radner totally botched the name of The Mahavishnu Orchestra. It was clear she had never heard of them before. "Ma-ma-ha-the...VISHNU Orchestra!"
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Saw it. It was great fun. I still remember where I was and what kind of doughnut I was eating.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Didn't catch it, but did hear he'd make a cameo. Man, they really are coming out of their shells in recent years with this kinda thing. Next thing y'know, they'll do SNL.

I knew Geddy was going to be on it along with some other Canadian celebrities so i made sure i caught it. Funny stuff.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    . I still remember where I was and what kind of doughnut I was eating.
    Not just any doughnut, a Tim Horton's Doughnut! At one point in the episode, I think it was Barney who complained "Come on, it's just a doughnut!". I love how the show plays up on Canadian stereotypes, and they kind of make fun of the Canadian accent. Funny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    Did anyone catch this? Totally didn't expect to see him, though I guess it makes sense with Jason Segel on the show after "I Love You, Man". .
    To say nothing of the copius Rush allusions on Freaks And Geeks (including Joe Flaherty's character announcing to Segal's that "That drummer you're listening to stinks!").

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    Not just any doughnut, a Tim Horton's Doughnut! At one point in the episode, I think it was Barney who complained "Come on, it's just a doughnut!". I love how the show plays up on Canadian stereotypes, and they kind of make fun of the Canadian accent. Funny stuff.
    I live 3 blocks from a Timmy Ho's. I'm on the US side but there are tons of Canadians in town at all times.

The general rule of thumb in my neighborhood is that if the car in front of you has Canadian plates, they WILL turn into the Timmy Ho's. Usually with no warning and no blinker. They'll just shoot across three or four lanes of busy traffic and go flying in there. Even run a red light or two.

We joke that Canadian cars have some kind of Tim Horton's GPS systems that automatically force their cars to head to the nearest Tim Horton's.

(their coffee does rock, though. My ulcer won't let me eat doughnuts, but oh that coffee!)
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    I live 3 blocks from a Timmy Ho's. I'm on the US side but there are tons of Canadians in town at all times.

The general rule of thumb in my neighborhood is that if the car in front of you has Canadian plates, they WILL turn into the Timmy Ho's. Usually with no warning and no blinker. They'll just shoot across three or four lanes of busy traffic and go flying in there. Even run a red light or two.

We joke that Canadian cars have some kind of Tim Horton's GPS systems that automatically force their cars to head to the nearest Tim Horton's.

(their coffee does rock, though. My ulcer won't let me eat doughnuts, but oh that coffee!)
    So I guess the show isn't exaggerating much about good old Tim Horton's and Canadians. Never had one of their doughnuts, but do here they are quite good.

> (their coffee does rock, though. My ulcer won't let me eat doughnuts, but oh that coffee!) <

I know its supposed to be one full notch above Starbucks, but that's not really saying much - is it really that good?

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    I know its supposed to be one full notch above Starbucks, but that's not really saying much - is it really that good?
    A full notch above Starbucks is several below most of your local roasters, IMO.

I saw it and thought it was one of the best scripted episodes in a long time, regardless of the cameos. "Fifty meters? That's like four years." Having Geddy in there was huge bonus.