Thread: Dream Theater - "Third Leg" Disaster Unfolding?

Dream Theater - "Third Leg" Disaster Unfolding?

some tour dates changing - follow along at:

http://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/bo...?topic=50671.0
    Last edited by lwpmedia; 08-10-2017 at 04:47 PM. Reason: change

edited because disaster should be reserved for Earthquakes, Tsunamis and Ebola outbreaks... but you would think an outfit with this much experience would avoid the perception of bungling their third leg... from what I'm reading, fans are pissed

Quote Originally Posted by lwpmedia View Post
    edited because disaster should be reserved for Earthquakes, Tsunamis and Ebola outbreaks... but you would think an outfit with this much experience would avoid the perception of bungling their third leg... from what I'm reading, fans are pissed
    Only reason I'm not going is that there aren't any new songs being played. Not pissed though. I'll catch them when they tour for a new album. This is the first time I've missed a tour so maybe I should feel sad about that....Naaaaaaaa.

this run is annoying folks because they teased the dates for months, then pulled some shows less than a week after onsales, are using different ticket companies to sell them creating confusing... just think for a group with so much experience they could get this right...

so, they put up a bunch of shows last week and Houston, Phoenix, Nashville were removed within a week with absolutely no explanation

and, two upstate New York shows seem to have been scrubbed

I'm out "processing fees" - thanks fellas

but, that lack of interest on this thread is pretty telling, too

maybe nobody cares!!!!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lwpmedia View Post
    so, they put up a bunch of shows last week and Houston, Phoenix, Nashville were removed within a week with absolutely no explanation

and, two upstate New York shows seem to have been scrubbed

I'm out "processing fees" - thanks fellas

but, that lack of interest on this thread is pretty telling, too

maybe nobody cares!!!!
    It seemed to me like the statement on the band's FB page saying "There are still changes being made to some of the tour dates" is the explanation. If shows were cancelled, wouldn't the ticket vendor refund your processing fees?

Years ago any thread devoted to DT here would be several pages of drama/praise/hate/controversy. It is indeed telling that they just don't merit that kind of attention any more.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Or maybe its not really a 'disaster' at all? So some dates were announced prematurely or were released by mistake etc. The band themselves don't make phone calls booking venues, the promotors and management do that stuff and sometimes mishtakes happen. The world didn't end. Are people just trying to 'talk down' DT just because they didn't like The Astonishing?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Years ago any thread devoted to DT here would be several pages of drama/praise/hate/controversy. It is indeed telling that they just don't merit that kind of attention any more.
    Isn't that what usually happens to has-beens?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Shots fired.

Remember when their official fan magazine ceased publication?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Just not excited about a nostalgia tour is all. Not taking sides either. Not seeing Portnoy's Shattered Fortress Tour for pretty much the same reason (Although the main set was never played in sequence like that.)

I love the music of The Astonishing. It's the lyrics that kill me.

See JP's apology on DT's FB page... at least he acknowledged they really screwed the pooch on this one!

It reminds me of the Spinal Tap line about "Our appeal is becoming more selective"

Quote Originally Posted by revporl View Post
    It reminds me of the Spinal Tap line about "Our appeal is becoming more selective"
    I wonder if Kellyanne Conway got her "alternative facts" concept from Spinal Tap.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I thought they broke up in the 90s!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Maybe so, maybe not.

I will say that The Astounding seemed like a grave miscalculation to me: They put out a whole album full of short songs, long on vocals and short on instrumental sections, when short songs, vocals, and lyrics are all weak points of theirs. And when their extended pieces with long instrumental middles are probably their best stuff. To me, it has all the weaknesses of The Lamb, without Genesis's huge strength of being pretty good straight-up songwriters.

There's also the non-musical issue of Portnoy being the one charismatic guy in the band, the one all the headbangers could relate to, and with him gone they have nobody with that larger-than-life quality.

^^ The Mildly Surprising