Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41

Thread: It's time you know..........VESPERO

  1. #1
    Member Mythos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Wolf City
    Posts
    391

    It's time you know..........VESPERO

    Vespero is a Russian band that has released (approx.) at least 13 albums in the last 10 years and every one of them is awesome...! They are by far my favorite current band! A few of their early albums have some singing, but for the most part they are instrumental driven prog, with an Eastern-European/Russian slant... And they are great musicians, that come up with some very fresh stuff...

    But you don't have to take my word for it, I assume most of you here also use progarchives.com. And if you do, like me you look at album ratings, have a look at Vespero's album ratings:

    http://www.progarchives.com/artist.a...41#discography

    8 of their 13 releases are over 4.00 and one tops out at 4.68!

    2 of their releases are just under 4.00, sitting there at 3.98!

    The other 3 releases are between 3.64 and 3.86!

    That means over their entire 13 release catalog they average 4.13!

    I challenge any of you to find any other prog band on progarchives with a comparable number of releases that have that high of scores!

    I know there are plenty of fans here already, but for those of you who have been putting off exploring their catalog, I urge you to do it now (or soon). Everyone should own a least one of their releases, problem is, with the ratings so high and my obvious bias, I can't really tell you which one to start with!

    (PS: And Syn-phonic has most of their releases..)

  2. #2
    ^ Great band. I especcially love the drummer, Ivan Fedotov, a very 'busy' player but absolutely always grooving like hell. Got six of their albums, all excellent, though my favourite is probably Subkraut.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

    Bandcamp Profile

  3. #3
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    in a cosmic jazzy-groove around Brussels
    Posts
    3,454
    mmmmhhh!!!....

    I bought two of their albums (Surpassing Kings and Fitful Slumber) early this year and they got some rotation, but the year's new music activity (in jazz especially) has bumped them out fairly quickly...

    I guess I'll have to return to them

    BTW, six of the 13 releases are live albums, and all of them (bar one) have the better ratings
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

  4. #4
    On the top 5 of the progressive bands currently operating. "Subkraut: U-Boats Willkommen Hier", "Fitful Slumber Until 5 A​.​M​.​", "Lique Mekwas" and "Surpassing All Kings" are their absolute best i.m.o.
    Macht das ohr auf!

    COSMIC EYE RECORDS

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    "Lique Mekwas"
    This is the only one of theirs that I've got, but it's really, really good. Listeners who'd might deem spacerock 'samey' or one-dimensional ought to hear them.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

  6. #6
    Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,770



  7. #7
    Member Joe F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bothell, Washington
    Posts
    188
    I started to get in to them a couple of years ago. I think I have most of their studio albums. I still need to pick up their latest live album.

    My favs are Fitful, Subkraut, and Lique, but everytjing I own by them is well worth having. Great stuff!

  8. #8
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,580
    I seem to remember Yves being really into them. I got Fitful Slumber on Bandcamp but haven't really listened to it. I thought they were Italian!

  9. #9
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    5,336
    By The Waters Of Tomorrow is the only one I have, need to explore some more.
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  10. #10
    Casanova TCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    1,581
    Great Band and musics!.

    Back then, I only had "Droga" but thanks to Yves I began to explore their music and it has been a nice journey IMO!

    There are 3-4 threads on PE about Vespero and their records that are worth checking!!.

    Pura vida!.

  11. #11
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,397
    Thanks for the heads-up. Lots of high regard for this band so will definitely investigate.

  12. #12
    Thanks for your kindness words!

    We have a news!
    Vespero
    HAPI

    Official video-clip

    Taken from our new album ”Shum-Shir” (will be released on Tonzonen Rec., 17.11.2017)

    Original idea by Vespero.

    .... In our search of anomalies, something can be invoked that is out of our control ....

    Cameras: Zhirov Vyacheslav, Fedotov Arkadiy , Borodin Vitaly,
    Video editing: Fedotov Arkadiy

    https://vespero.bandcamp.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Vesperomusic

  13. #13
    facetious maximus Yves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,458
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I seem to remember Yves being really into them. I got Fitful Slumber on Bandcamp but haven't really listened to it. I thought they were Italian!
    Yes! Been plugging them on this board for years now! Time they get their due!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

    -Cozy 3:16-

  14. #14
    facetious maximus Yves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,458
    Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Great Band and musics!.

    Back then, I only had "Droga" but thanks to Yves I began to explore their music and it has been a nice journey IMO!

    There are 3-4 threads on PE about Vespero and their records that are worth checking!!.

    Pura vida!.
    you are welcome.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

    -Cozy 3:16-

  15. #15
    Member ashratom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs CO
    Posts
    215
    I agree with you Mythos! This is probably my favorite band operating in this space in the last 10 years or so. I did a retrospective on them not too long ago, where I put some notes down on most of their albums.

  16. #16
    Member ashratom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs CO
    Posts
    215
    I just learned today that their new album is due out in November! It's LP only this time (and download I presume), which isn't ideal for me. More on my blog about the album.

  17. #17
    We got 2 news!
    1. We released CD version of our new album "Shum-Shir"!!
    This version includes 4 bonus tracks ( "Gaya`s Dance" and "Hapi" are live versions,"Negusa" is yet unpublished composition and "Droga" is jam-version with wonderful guitarist Ilya Lipkin).
    You can get your copy from our merch page:
    https://vespero.bandcamp.com/merch

    0012439086_10.jpg0012439087_10.jpg

    2. We are glad to present you the first result of our cooperation with the Spanish guitarist Ángel Ontalva !

    "Carta Marina" is mystical map from the ancient times, full of sea monsters and strange creatures...and they wait for seafarers and their ships....

    https://vespero.bandcamp.com/track/carta-marina

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkVespero View Post
    We are glad to present you the first result of our cooperation with the Spanish guitarist Ángel Ontalva !

    "Carta Marina" is mystical map from the ancient times, full of sea monsters and strange creatures...and they wait for seafarers and their ships....

    https://vespero.bandcamp.com/track/carta-marina
    That's awesome! I've been following Ángel's Russian collaborations, but I wasn't expecting this. Hope there will be more.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

    Bandcamp Profile

  19. #19




    Some videos from our first concert with Angel Ontalva.

  20. #20

    "Sea Orm" is a composition that will be included in our new album "Carta Marina", a collaboration between Ángel Ontalva and Vespero ! Whole album will be on CD and digital very soon!

  21. #21
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    5,336
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkVespero View Post
    We got 2 news!
    1. We released CD version of our new album "Shum-Shir"!!
    This version includes 4 bonus tracks ( "Gaya`s Dance" and "Hapi" are live versions,"Negusa" is yet unpublished composition and "Droga" is jam-version with wonderful guitarist Ilya Lipkin).
    You can get your copy from our merch page:
    https://vespero.bandcamp.com/merch

    0012439086_10.jpg0012439087_10.jpg

    2. We are glad to present you the first result of our cooperation with the Spanish guitarist Ángel Ontalva !

    "Carta Marina" is mystical map from the ancient times, full of sea monsters and strange creatures...and they wait for seafarers and their ships....

    https://vespero.bandcamp.com/track/carta-marina
    Just picked this up, it's very good, really scratches an itch for that kind of stuff, need to explore some more.
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  22. #22
    facetious maximus Yves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,458
    Ian, are you familiar with earlier roks like Droga or Fitful Slumber Until 5:00AM? I prefer both to Shum-Shir.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

    -Cozy 3:16-

  23. #23
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    5,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Ian, are you familiar with earlier roks like Droga or Fitful Slumber Until 5:00AM? I prefer both to Shum-Shir.
    The only other one I have is By The Waters Of Tomorrow, as I said I need to do some more exploring.
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  24. #24
    facetious maximus Yves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,458
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    The only other one I have is By The Waters Of Tomorrow, as I said I need to do some more exploring.
    The newest one is very good also


    https://music.vespero.ru/album/carta-marina
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

    -Cozy 3:16-

  25. #25
    Member Mythos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Wolf City
    Posts
    391
    How about one of the stateside prog festivals trying to get these guys, instead of another Dream Theater copy band?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •