Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Glen Campbell

I figured Mr Campbell's passing was eminent and yet when i heard the news i still shed a tear, definitely one of the good guys.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Glen Campbell covering Guided By Voices.
    This is so epic!!!

Never heard that. Thanks that was great!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Alice Cooper weighs in on his good friend Glenn Campbell:

]
    That was very cool, thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    This one is amazing.
    If I need to cry I'll play this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Never heard that. Thanks that was great!!!!!!
    Those later records Meet Glen Campbell and Ghost On The Canvas are very well worth having.

A very great man, it's wonderful how much light true stars shed in our lives.

This song wasn't written by him but I've been enjoying it for a long time.

Glen Campbell ~ "Wichita Lineman" (1968) with Full Intro *BEST QUALITY on YouTube!

and finally the Almost Prog version:

Nashville Gold Switched On Moog - Wichita Lineman

Rest in peace!.
    Back in 82' & 83' we played
    "Rhinestone Cowboy" so many times in our college!
    Guess who sang and played the guitar!!??.

https://youtu.be/kHQGTLIDrIw

RIP!!

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    I figured Mr Campbell's passing was eminent and yet when i heard the news i still shed a tear, definitely one of the good guys.

👍🏼👍🏼

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    Those later records Meet Glen Campbell and Ghost On The Canvas are very well worth having.
    I agree completely. Glen was in great form on those two. After years of floundering a bit he finally seemed focused again. I haven't heard all of Adios yet though, I'm not sure I want to. I'll think of Ghosts as his proper swan song.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Alice Cooper weighs in on his good friend Glenn Campbell:

GAWD I would LOVE to find that traffic light photo of Glen and Alice!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Jon Neudorf
    A true legend. He will be sorely missed.

RIP

One thing that surprised me - and you can hear it in his solos: His first big musical influence was not C&W, but the jazz of Django Reinhardt. He was also one of the rare sessionmen who couldn't read a note, but his ear was so good that he could pick up a part after hearing it once.

Just a note to those who never liked country music. Glen never considered his music country but said he was a country boy who sang

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is Glen, performing the song that might be the closest he ever got to prog:

I've always found the way he restructures the first section interesting: He sings all four verse lines one after another, then goes to the chorus, rather than two verse lines, chorus, two verse lines, chorus. Also, he skips the 9/8 interludes between the first and second lines, and the third and fourth. The result sounds more like country, and less like the elaborate orchestral proto-prog of the original version. As does Glen's vocal approach. Oh, and when he finally plays that guitar hanging around his neck, he tears it up.

Just a note to those who never liked country music. Glen never considered his music country but said he was a country boy who sang
    ...this is probably why I loved his music, the same goes for Bobbie Gentry. The album they did together is really something special.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Just a note to those who never liked country music.
    I would never denigrate those who like country music. And for those who like country music, 'denigrate' means to put down.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I would never denigrate those who like country music. And for those who like country music, 'denigrate' means to put down.

I always discriminate between music and the lyrics. Musically interesting Country 'music' isn't ubiquitous.

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    "I would never denigrate those who like country music. And for those who like country music, 'denigrate' means to put down."
    --Bob Newhart
    (fixed that for you)

I'd say that he what he did could be called country music. But it wasn't corny, lowest-common-denominator country, and therein lies the difference. The same is true of Jimmy Webb, and he did a lot of Webb's songs. Look at "Wichita Lineman", for example: What could be more country than a blue-collar guy suffering from an unrequited love, who loses himself in his job and its responsibilities to escape his own turmoil? Yet the song is perfect - a great melody, which halfway through modulates out of the original key then back in, simple but interesting chords to support it, and very few lyrics. But what lyrics - plain-spoken, not a lot of words, yet laying out the situation brilliantly and fitting their man-of-few-words protagonist to a T.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    While he was a big star, RIP to one of the most underappreciated (by other than musicians) guitarists around. I heard him once tell an interviewer that he was playing gigs for years before he even realized that he could sing (and anyone who listens to "Phoenix" and "Lineman" and still thinks he can't needs to actually listen).
    I never knew what a great player he was, but those clips above clearly demonstrate his virtuosity.

One other surprising fact about Glen is that he played with the Beach Boys for a while before his solo stardom, I guess when Brian wanted to stop touring. Not a lot the guy couldn't do...