Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saw Grand Funk Railroad Saturday Night

Grand Funk is one of those bands like Phish, not that they are similar, but I own tons of stuff by both and still can't decide if I like them or not.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

I had my first ‘stereophonic experience’ while listening to I’m Your Captain/Closer to Home, lying on the floor with the hi-fi speakers six inches away from my ears (I don’t think commercial earphones were available then, where I lived!). Stereo panning is routine nowadays, but 50 years ago it was just the most amazing thing to hear Mark Farner’s wah-wah guitar echoing inside my head as it switched between speakers.
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Has anyone seen Farner live lately? He tours as 'Mark Farner's American Band' and they sound pretty good in the YouTube videos I have watched. Farner still looks and sounds great.

Setlist from the above concert:

We're an American Band
    Rock & Roll Soul
    Footstompin' Music
    Aimless Lady
    Paranoid
    People Let's Stop the War
    Shinin' On
    Heartbreaker
    Mean Mistreater
    Bad Time
    Sin's a Good Man's Brother
    I Come Tumblin'
    The Loco-Motion
    Some Kind of Wonderful
    I'm Your Captain (Closer to Home)
    Inside Looking Out

Listened to Survival today. It's still classic Grand Funk. Heavy, epicy, etc. I forgot Mark played Hammond Organ. Farner was a little more than serviceable imo.

NP: Sin's A Good Man's Brother......

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Has anyone seen Farner live lately? He tours as 'Mark Farner's American Band' and they sound pretty good in the YouTube videos I have watched. Farner still looks and sounds great.

Out
    I saw him a couple of years ago and he was great.

Don Brewer knows only one drum pattern.

No way he wrote the American Band intro.

Brewer’s drum solo on Grand Funk Railroad's ‘Live Album’ does a good job in simulating a steam train getting up speed. Admittedly it’s not technically dazzling but, equally, it's not bad in its own way
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    Brewer’s drum solo on Grand Funk Railroad's ‘Live Album’ does a good job in simulating a steam train getting up speed. Admittedly it’s not technically dazzling but, equally, it's not bad in its own way
    I have seen Brewer live twice once with Grand Funk and once with Bob Seeger. I actually thought he was pretty good. Grand Funk did a whole percussion solo thing with the whole band playing various percussion instruments / drums all centered around Brewer. I actually thought it was pretty cool.