Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 21 Essential Kate Bush Songs!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Don't know who this person is, but here are her top five KB songs:

http://www.wfuv.org/content/saint-et...ate-bush-songs

I can't argue with any of those choices! Strange Phenomena & Symphony In Blue have been in my head this week.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Don't know who this person is, but here are her top five KB songs:

http://www.wfuv.org/content/saint-et...ate-bush-songs
    Those tend to be her more famous songs, but good to see that, and I'm not surprised coming from Sarah Cracknell of Saint Etienne, whose albums are at least a little interesting, but one of their albums differs and is more adventurous and I think is quite good is 'Sound of Water', which has a heartwrenchingly poignant track called 'Just a Little Overcome', and a 9-minute neat track called 'How We Used To Live'. Interestingly the album begins with a repeat of Greg Lake starting to say 'We're going to give you Pictures at an Exhibition'.

I don't think I've ever heard 3 Kate Bush tunes.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUdcmchNCuI
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Say what?

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    Say what?
    Eh, I got all excited at first thinking I could convert Chalkpie to Kate, but every track I thought of seemed like not a sure thing. I think you have to get into Kate on your own. It might be too late - the Kate ship might have sailed already...

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    Say what?
    Eh, I got all excited at first thinking I could convert Chalkpie to Kate, but every track I thought of seemed like not a sure thing. I think you have to get into Kate on your own. It might be too late - the Kate ship might have sailed already...
    Yeah, file KB under that thread of "Prog artists you've heard of (that other people seem to really like) for a long time but never actually heard" or something. None of my pals never listened to her, so I was left out in the cold. 31.8 degrees Fahrenheit. Does "Don't Give Up" count? I've heard that one. I also drank Busch beer in college - does that count? George Bush and son were also presidents in the place that I happened to be living in at the time - surely that has to count for something?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

This is the Kate Bush song that first hooked me, though it was only the music - I hadn't seen the video, which seems sort of like Peter Gabriel let her use his set and crew for the video. The video is pretty mired in the 80s, but I still love the song.:

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    I can't argue with any of those choices! Strange Phenomena & Symphony In Blue have been in my head this week.
    Lionheart gets my vote as the most underrated KB album. Love that album so freakin’ much.

It might be too late - the Kate ship might have sailed already...
    That makes me sad. A life without Kate must be a dreary and empty existence, and it’s not something I want to ponder.

Does "Don't Give Up" count? I've heard that one.
    Ew! Don’t judge her based on that! That would be like giving up on Yes after hearing “Circus of Heaven”!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Does "Don't Give Up" count?
    That's a Peter Gabriel song!

"If I've heard Stella Vander's solo version of "Nature Boy," can I say I've listened to Magma?

John, this may be addressed earlier in this thread, but what song is it for which there's a YouTube video of a boy running with a sword as all kinds of fantasy beasties chase after him? I want to see/hear that again. It might be an instrumental?

John, this may be addressed earlier in this thread, but what song is it for which there's a YouTube video of a boy running with a sword as all kinds of fantasy beasties chase after him? I want to see/hear that again. It might be an instrumental?
    My brain is drawing a blank at the moment, but it will hopefully come to me!

Have bookmarked youtube covers of a couple of her songs, and for W Heights my favorite two are by Lauricia and Pat Benatar.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I'm fond of the song, Why Should I Love You. I remember years ago hearing the song and thinking, "Holy crap that sounds like Prince", then buying the album These Red Shoes and sure enough Prince plays keys and sings background, but KB actually wrote the song with Prince in mind.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    And I shit you not, as I sit here waiting for a haircut, posting in this thread, the local radio station 103.9 in central Washington state, a Top-100 station, (KW3?) is playing RUTH. I'm pretty sure the song is older than the girl that will eventually cut my hair.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I'm fond of the song, Why Should I Love You. I remember years ago hearing the song and thinking, "Holy crap that sounds like Prince", then buying the album These Red Shoes and sure enough Prince plays keys and sings background, but KB actually wrote the song with Prince in mind.
    I do love that song so much. Even if the album it comes from isn’t as good as what came before (or after) IMO, it still has a few really good songs on it.

Never realized that Prince was on it! Now it makes sense.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Yeah, file KB under that thread of "Prog artists you've heard of (that other people seem to really like) for a long time but never actually heard" or something. None of my pals never listened to her, so I was left out in the cold. 31.8 degrees Fahrenheit. Does "Don't Give Up" count? I've heard that one. I also drank Busch beer in college - does that count? George Bush and son were also presidents in the place that I happened to be living in at the time - surely that has to count for something?
    I could be totally off base about this but I've heard one of her songs is in a TV show and it's turned a few people on to her work? Probably not a big deal but maybe an avenue to investigate. Can't remember what show it is, but it's something kids like. Was it Minecraft? Is that a TV show? I've heard a bit about this topic but hardly at all so I can't quite recall the details.

As far as the 21 essential Kate Bush songs list -- before I opened the site I was thinking "all I know is there better be at least one weird-ass song from The Dreaming" and hey look what was at number one! After that I was satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by EBES View Post
    I could be totally off base about this but I've heard one of her songs is in a TV show and it's turned a few people on to her work? Probably not a big deal but maybe an avenue to investigate. Can't remember what show it is, but it's something kids like. Was it Minecraft? Is that a TV show? I've heard a bit about this topic but hardly at all so I can't quite recall the details.

As far as the 21 essential Kate Bush songs list -- before I opened the site I was thinking "all I know is there better be at least one weird-ass song from The Dreaming" and hey look what was at number one! After that I was satisfied.
    The show in question is Stranger Things.

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    The show in question is Stranger Things.
    And it's not just kids who like Stranger Things.

I thought EBES might have been making a joke, with the reference to Minecraft.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Yes, I was joking