Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 21 Essential Kate Bush Songs!

there doesn't seem to be much "love" here for the track Love And Anger from The Senusual World. (maybe because it was the single from that one? thought to be too commercial?) It's the only song I actually like from that album. Provocative/enigmatic lyrics for a *love song*--plus it actually rocks pretty hard for a Kate song--great bass playing from John Giblin and a 'signature' bluesy, atmospheric less-is-more guitar solo from David Gilmour.

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post
    there doesn't seem to be much "love" here for the track Love And Anger from The Senusual World. (maybe because it was the single from that one? thought to be too commercial?) It's the only song I actually like from that album. Provocative/enigmatic lyrics for a *love song*--plus it actually rocks pretty hard for a Kate song--great bass playing from John Giblin and a 'signature' bluesy, atmospheric less-is-more guitar solo from David Gilmour.
    That and the title track would be my picks from The Sensual World.

gotta say overall sensual world is her album that I am least into. not sure why but if I had to dump one it would be that one.

red shoes(the album) has grown a lot on me lately despite its general lower status.

Not for me, this and Hounds of Love. I get choked up every time I hear "Never Be Mine"- what a beautiful, thought provoking song.

Quote Originally Posted by Proghound View Post
    Not for me, this and Hounds of Love. I get choked up every time I hear "Never Be Mine"- what a beautiful, thought provoking song.
    AGREED
    The Sensual World is one of my top 3 Kate albums
    absolutely stunning and ... sensual
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Glad to see so much love for the many periods of Kate's work!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Needs her very best song: "Houdini."
    Right, except that would be "The Man with the Child in his Eyes"!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    you spelled Night Of The Swallow wrong
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    Actually it's spelled 'T H E F O G'. Don't know why people keep misspelling this?

Actually my list would have been WAY different, which shows her versatility appealing to so many different people. Mine would have included:

The Fog
    Delius
    The Sensual World
    The Ninth Wave
    There Goes a Tenner
    Never Be Mine
    Houdini
    Blow Away

and sorry... nothing whatsoever from 'The Red Shoes'.

Looks like only 'Sensual World' and 'Blow Away' were in the OP's list.

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post

It was the single? I guess I thought the title track (which I love) was, but you're probably right. Yeah I didn't care as much for it as most of the album, but I still like it. It seemed ... yeah maybe commercial. Not as interesting to me, not as beautifully artful. Or artfully beautiful?

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    It was the single? I guess I thought the title track (which I love) was, but you're probably right. Yeah I didn't care as much for it as most of the album, but I still like it. It seemed ... yeah maybe commercial. Not as interesting to me, not as beautifully artful. Or artfully beautiful?
    I don't know if it was "the" (only) single but I have the Love And Anger CD single.

Great list!

She had so many great songs, it's hard to narrow it down to "just" 21 of them.

One of my personal favorite tunes of hers was "Love and Anger" from The Sensual World. The vocalizations and the layered vocals ("if it's so deep you don't think you can speak about it") that she does near the end gives me chills every time. Really tugs at the emotions somehow.

Great choices!

just watched this...

if you dont know why we all like Kate, watch this documentary

Back in 1985, 25 year old me interviewed 27 year old Kate in NYC. A wonderful time was had by all! <3
    Last edited by wilcox660; 09-03-2017 at 10:50 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Back in 1985, 25 year old me interviewed 27 year old Kate in NYC. A wonderful time was had by all! <3
    1985!?

oh my... I was a man of intense vigor then... oh the thoughts...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Here's an apparently official video I didn't know existed:

I also somehow missed this cover of Come Together:

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    What was she doing in NYC then?

You can certainly see how someone like Fish was influenced by her. I assume.

She made a rare boat trip over to promote Hounds Of Love. A surreal day for me. Early in the afternoon I interviewed dance star Baltimora, then off to interview Kate about an hour later.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What was she doing in NYC then?

You can certainly see how someone like Fish was influenced by her. I assume.

Here's an apparently official video I didn't know existed:

That looks like a mash-up of scenes from 'The Line The Cross and The Curve'.

I also somehow missed this cover of Come Together:

And that must be from her early gigs before 'The Kick Inside'.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    That looks like a mash-up of scenes from 'The Line The Cross and The Curve'.

And that must be from her early gigs before 'The Kick Inside'.
    Somehow I never saw The Line... I should poke around for a download. I should have known better that there wouldn't be anything official I haven't seen. Not that there's much around!

There is always more of everything.

Somehow I never saw The Line... I should poke around for a download. I should have known better that there wouldn't be anything official I haven't seen. Not that there's much around!
    Hmm. Er, be careful what you wish for...