Thread: Goblin on tour?

Goblin on tour?

Hi folks;

I'm not able to find a ton of info but there does appear to be some sort of Goblin tour happening later this year in the US. I just got tickets for a show @ the Soundstage in Baltimore on Nov 11th.

Facebook venues are showing "just announced" dates for a Sound of Fear 2017 tour with Morricone Youth. I see blurbs about dates in Philly as well as out in California.

Sorry for the vagueness of this post, it's all I've got at this point. Good luck!

(edit...here's what a search on Ticketfly turned up: https://www.ticketfly.com/search/?q=goblin)
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I'm going to see Goblin in Philadelphia on HALLOWEEN!

The Toronto event page says this (and more) - "Long awaited landing of Goblin in North America. Almost 40 years removed from their debut, cult legends Goblin will launch their first ever North American tour this October. The tour will start October 1st in Atlanta and will culminate with a two night run of performances in Austin, TX at the Housecore Horror Film Festival on Oct 25 and 27."

https://www.ticketfly.com/event/1535165-goblin-toronto/

Obviously, this is not the first North American tour by _a_ Goblin band. I remember hearing about more than one Goblin band during one of the Goblins' earlier NA tour. I don't know enough about the members to know which is the more "authentic" band. Regardless, I really enjoyed their first tour and am looking forward to this one.

Just as a minor warning...that whole blurb about the band is just copied from their PRIOR tour about 3 years ago, when it really was their first. It also alludes to Secret Chiefs 3 as the opener (whereas all these days seem to feature Morricone Youth).

The blurb also says it'll include Simonetti and the rhythm section from Daemonia. 99% sure that isn't true either. This, I presume, is the BackToTheGoblin lineup plus a second keys person.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Thanks! I hate laziness like that in an official description. Unneeded confusion for sure.

Goblin is playing Thalia Hall here in Chicago... here's the lineup

GOBLIN return to North America after 3 year hiatus with "The Sound Of Fear" tour.After their initial shows in North America in late 2013-early 2014, Goblin have announced their return to North America for"The Sound Of Fear"tour, that starts on Wednesday, October 25th in Chicago and ends on Sunday, November 12th in New York City. Morricone Youth and Mondo Drag will split duties opening the shows.Goblin is best known for their classic soundtrack work onSuspiria,Dawn Of The Dead,andProfondo Rosso (Deep Red). In between tours, the band released the album"Four Of A Kind".This tour will feature songs not played on their first trip to North America back in 2013-2014Goblin is:Massimo Morante- guitarMaurizio Guarini- keyboardsFabio Pignatelli- bassAgostino Marangolo- drumsAidan Zammit- keyboards
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Very cool, especially the part about playing songs not covered in the prior tours. I'd love to see some of the material that Goblin Rebirth put out on their Alive set (certainly not impossible, given that Zammit is also in Rebirth).

Thanks!

thanks for the tip. they seem to be coming to Berkeley the blurb there seems to be from Wikipedia. goblins facebook seems to have the easiest to see list of shows if you go to their events page it lists a few of them.

hoping they have some dates in the midwest, Mondo Drag and Morricone Youth are excellent choices for openers.

They are playing Atlanta as well! I am in.

Thanks for the tip! It seems my friend and I will be attending the Philadelphia show.

How is the Union Transfer? I've never been there and I'm hoping it'll be a better venue than Underground Arts.

Haven't been there myself either.

Space Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    Thanks for the tip! It seems my friend and I will be attending the Philadelphia show.

How is the Union Transfer? I've never been there and I'm hoping it'll be a better venue than Underground Arts.
    Union Transfer is great. Easily my favorite mid-sized hall in the city (haven't been to the Fillmore yet, mind). Plenty of room to move around on the floor, with a bar in back as well as upstairs with a wraparound balcony.

Goblin and Morricone Youth are playing the Sinclair in Cambridge, MA, on October 30th, a Monday night. I believe this is not the Simonetti Goblin, as from the picture in the ad, it's the same band I saw 3 years ago there and that was not the Simonetti Goblin. Zombi was the opener then.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Goblin and Morricone Youth are playing the Sinclair in Cambridge, MA, on October 30th, a Monday night. I believe this is not the Simonetti Goblin, as from the picture in the ad, it's the same band I saw 3 years ago there and that was not the Simonetti Goblin. Zombi was the opener then.
    I saw both Goblin Bands on three separate occasions in Texas (Houston 2014 & San Antonio 2015) and in Montreal (2013). I agree that the musicians on this photo are the "new" Goblin as they sometimes call it and toured in late 2013 ending that tour in Austin TX at the Horror film Festival (that's the tour that ended their 40 year hiatus). They returned to Texas in Spring 2014 to play basically the same show at the Houston HOB.

It is confusing but Claudio Simonetti who claims to have the naming rights took his own Goblin out on tour in spring 2015, two years after the "new" Goblin appeared on American and Canadian shores. That Simonetti band played the Aztec Theater in San Antonio Texas when the Horror film festival moved there from Austin TX (the festival originator recently deceased and had a tribute onstage in his honor). To be honest, the "new" Goblin (2 years before) is far better and plays in a true "band" setting unlike the Simonetti Goblin that only has him on keyboards with bass and drums. To their credit, they performed the entire movie "Zombi" score onstage synchronized with each movie frame of the film, something quite unique but tedious at times.

The "new" Goblin has a Live in Rome album that is very bombastic and has heavy prog sounds. Both versions play the perennial stamp "Suspiria" that is a classic by Goblin standards but if you have a chance, go see this version that are touring next fall. My other favorite Goblin album is "Il viaggio di beggarozzo mark" that showcases their prog powers and breaks the "horror film soundtrack" mold that they are best known for.
    I may be older but, I saw live: Led Zeppelin, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Fish, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Marillion, IQ, UK, Saga, Rush, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Triumph, Magma, Goblin, Porcupine Tree, The Musical Box, Uriah Heep, Dio, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Queen with Freddie Mercury, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood, Steely Dan, Dream theater, Joe Satriani, you get the idea..

As much as I love Claudio, the two original albums that don't have him — Back to the Goblin 2005, and Four of a Kind — are better than anything Daemonia (which is no longer) put out. Claudio doesn't seem interested in doing anything new outside of solo film scores. That said, I'd have loved to see his trio perform Zombi set to footage from the movie! Damn.

Goblin without Fabio Pignatelli is just wrong. But OTOH, the Goblin Rebirth CD disappointed me. Fabio & Agostino are on point, but the other guys don't have the compositional prowess that Massimo, Maurizio and Claudio built their careers on.

Gonna have to get a ticket for the new tour!