Thread: Santana & Isley Brothers - Power of Peace

Santana & Isley Brothers - Power of Peace

It seems Carlos & Co can do little wrong in the 10's... and we're still waiting for his Corea/McLaughlin project to see a proper release

His latest project is an album collab with the Isley Bros was a little scary to my eyes, but most of it sounds rather good , though there is some syrupy stuff on it (thankfully mostly concentrated on the last third of the album).

The meatier stuff:

More here
    http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/mp3...-brothers/8616
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

More recent Isley Bros. albums have focused on Ron and his Mr. Biggs persona. He was hanging out with R. Kelly and Ernie seemed to be pushed to the background. On this album, Ernie seems much more important. Ernie shows off his Hendrix influence quite nicely and Santana do their thing. Nice to hear Carlos and Ernie swapping licks.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    More recent Isley Bros. albums have focused on Ron and his Mr. Biggs persona. He was hanging out with R. Kelly and Ernie seemed to be pushed to the background. On this album, Ernie seems much more important. Ernie shows off his Hendrix influence quite nicely and Santana do their thing. Nice to hear Carlos and Ernie swapping licks.

Bill
    That is good news. The last few "Isley Brothers" albums seemed to be Ron Isley solo albums. I thought Ron sounded great on the Santana IV album though and good to hear Ernie is much more involved on this release.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    That is good news. The last few "Isley Brothers" albums seemed to be Ron Isley solo albums. I thought Ron sounded great on the Santana IV album though and good to hear Ernie is much more involved on this release.
    I remember there was a review of one of the Isley Brothers records back in the 90's, I forget which one. I just remember there was a line about how Ernie's playing (during the brieg moments where you heard him) suggested he "should be making solo albums" (and he did make one, back in the 80's, but I guess this particular critic thought Ernie should divest himself of his older brother's goofiness full time).

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    It seems Carlos & Co can do little wrong in the 10's... and we're still waiting for his Corea/McLaughlin project to see a proper release

His latest project is an album collab with the Isley Bros was a little scary to my eyes, but most of it sounds rather good , though there is some syrupy stuff on it (thankfully mostly concentrated on the last third of the album).
    Agree, yep, waiting here too and agree Trane!!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

I picked this up but haven't played it yet. Based on the Ron Isley cuts on Santana IV I was very optimistic about this release even though I knew it had the potential to drift off into syrupy cheese.