Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Potemkine - Triton

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I agree. I've always felt Triton was more "Zeuhlish" than the Dun. You can hear all the Zeuhl elements at play on Triton, but you're right, the emphasis is different. Also agree about Eskaton and Eider Stellaire (and I'd toss in Weidorje and the first Prat album) as being very Zeuhl. Abus Dangeraux I'd put more with Dun as having perhaps less overt Zeuhl influence, but maybe I need to give it another listen.

It's always an interesting question for me when I see something listed as "Zeuhl." I do get a ballpark sense of what to expect, but I need to listen to see if it's really something I'd like because the term encompasses a pretty wide variety of music. I really don't enjoy Magma or the bands that emulate them strongly or have a substantial vocal presence. But I do really like bands that take elements of that style but explore other avenues, as I think Poetmkine do so successfully on Triton.

Bill
    I can totally relate... Not sure I appreciate the bands that emulate too much the Magma fibers (like Zao, Weidorje and other spin-offs), though Eskaton and Stellaire are among my fave "Trad-Zeuhl" album (if you'll allow)
    Oddly enough, these albums were released when Magma had veered "weird" (the Merci album)

Though, for some reasons, modern French Zeuhl bands like Setna, Scherzoo and Neom, I really enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Well, anyone can argue about anything (and in the USA, anyone can sue anyone for anything), but as old Scrotum, the wrinkled retainer says, Hourbetter, Denis and Trigaux have all acknowledged the impact and influence of zeuhl on what they do.

I look at them personally as 'zeuhl influenced who went on and made it part of something much more unique'
    Well count me in those that do hear the Magma influences in AZ/UZ/Present fairly clearly, but will not likely describe them as "zeuhl" in a first round... Maybe in second or third place, yes.

As for Triton and Cycles de Thanathos, it's as much Avant-prog as Zeuhl, if not more
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Nothing to add besides that I love this one and remember buying it early 80's on the Recommneded Records mail order
    Years later when Shub Niggurath Les Mort was released Cutler described it as akin to Potemkine and that is how i bought that one
    Not really close to Shub is it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Not really close to Shub is it ?
    Not to my ears.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Not sure I appreciate the bands that emulate too much the Magma fibers like Zao, Weidorje and other spin-offs
    The Weidorje stands positively out to my ears, basically because the sole intention of the whole project was to realise Gauthier/Paganotti material for which there wasn't enough room in the 'motherband'. I recently got the beautiful vinyl reissue of Weidorje and have been listening a lot anew (after a long sojourn from the time I bought the CD in the 90s), and I have to say that it's a mighty fine record. I actually prefer it to Ûdû Wûdû. Bugulugu?!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Years later when Shub Niggurath Les Mort was released Cutler described it as akin to Potemkine and that is how i bought that one
    Not really close to Shub is it?
    No, but presumably Cutler was thinking beyond the 'outer realms' of the music's appearance and into pure harmonics, chord structures and the lot.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Found a reasonably priced copy of Triton on Discogs.

Alert the media.
    It's probably the Russian bootleg of the Soleil Zeuhl release.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    It's probably the Russian bootleg of the Soleil Zeuhl release.
    Not according to the information proffered by the seller.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

^ I would snap it up then! Good find.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

I did.It's in the mail to me from Michigan.Should get it Friday or Saturday.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Potemkine = great musical experiencia!.

A journey!

Don't have any favorite!.

Pura vida!.
    Last edited by TCC; 08-02-2017 at 06:49 PM.

I like all three of their albums but this is my favourite. There were four brothers in this band I believe, the Goubins. They opened for MAGMA several times.
    Interesting that Jean Pierre Grasset the leader of the band VERTO(who remind me of HELDON quite a bit) helped engineer POTEMKINE's debut and they in turn played on all but one track of side one on VERTO's "Krig/ Volubilis" album, and Gilles Goubin composed or helped compose a few of those songs. They also let VERTO use their amps during the recording process.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

it's as much Avant-prog as Zeuhl, if not more
    hmm... and all this time I've heard Zeuhl as 'Avant Prog with freaky upfront Bass Guitar and hypnotic build-ups'
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Though, for some reasons, modern French Zeuhl bands like Setna, Scherzoo and Neom, I really enjoy
    For some reason, I could never get into Eskaton. They just seemed a little too Magma-derivative, albeit with the rough edges filed off. Magma-lite, I suppose. You could put the rather obscure Musique Noise into the same category.

I suppose you could say the same about Setna, not bit about being very derivative, rather the rough edges being filed off. For whatever reason, I really like Cycles. It rather reminds me of the Dün album but more, I don’t know, melodic...? I detect a Canterbury influence there, too.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Amazing album indeed. I am a sucker for Soleil releases, definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I could never get into Eskaton. They just seemed a little too Magma-derivative, albeit with the rough edges filed off. Magma-lite, I suppose. You could put the rather obscure Musique Noise into the same category.
    I think the first two Eskaton albums (4 Visions and Ardeur) are excellent, although undoubtedly very Magma-abbreviated. There's an elegance to their music, however, which kind of defied the esoteric attack and atmosphere of the 'mothership'. Musique Noise's relation to Vander/co., on the other hand, comes across as an equivalent to IQ/Marillion's role towards Genesis. I believe they were more or less direct protegèes of Eskaton; at least their debut album was produced by two Eskaton members, IIRC. MN's second record was actually much better, less glossy and considerably darker. They reformed some 4-5 years ago, in fact, but I dunno what came of it. Wasn't there even a new release?

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    For some reason, I could never get into Eskaton. They just seemed a little too Magma-derivative, albeit with the rough edges filed off. Magma-lite, I suppose. You could put the rather obscure Musique Noise into the same category.

I suppose you could say the same about Setna, not bit about being very derivative, rather the rough edges being filed off. For whatever reason, I really like Cycles. It rather reminds me of the Dün album but more, I don’t know, melodic...? I detect a Canterbury influence there, too.
    I don't find those current SZ bands very Magma-derived at all. It's Zeuhl allright.
    The only one that doesn't strike it with me is One Shot (I know, shoot me!! )

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I think the first two Eskaton albums (4 Visions and Ardeur) are excellent, although undoubtedly very Magma-abbreviated. There's an elegance to their music, however, which kind of defied the esoteric attack and atmosphere of the 'mothership'. Musique Noise's relation to Vander/co., on the other hand, comes across as an equivalent to IQ/Marillion's role towards Genesis. I believe they were more or less direct protegèes of Eskaton; at least their debut album was produced by two Eskaton members, IIRC. MN's second record was actually much better, less glossy and considerably darker. They reformed some 4-5 years ago, in fact, but I dunno what came of it. Wasn't there even a new release?
    Mmmhhh!!!... For some reasons, I don't seem to get into Ardeur... However, I'm wondering if I even prefer Fiction to 4V, precisely, because it's a totally different thing (despite remaining Zeuhlish)... It's fun, and even funny (if you read the French lyrics)

As for MN, I WTF'd on it back then some 20 years ago, got rid of it to a buddy, but I'll have to borrow it back.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    ... but also the freaking bass playing on Triton really stands out to me.
    Yep. Amazing stuff. Evil and groovy at the same time.

There was a string of these rather cerebral, near-academic progressive ensembles in France at this point (late-70s/early 80s) - notably Vortex, Mosaîc, Pataphonie, Rahmann and Dün - but Potemkine were definitely at the very heap of it.
    I'm adding the seldom mentioned HIATUS to the "near-academic" list of like-minded french bands.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    I'm adding the seldom mentioned HIATUS to the "near-academic" list of like-minded french bands.
    Oh, there were definitely others for sure; ZED (with maverick Bernard Szajner), Noa, Flamen Dialis, Bise de Buse, possibly even stuff like Francois Breant or Forgas' utterly underrated Cocktail. One of the very last releases of that bunch, I suppose, was the supremely odd but also fascinating Hellebore record as late as '84. These were all artists who culled some more or less obvious clues from the close past yet delivered music very inimitably of their exact point in time. I personally find something interesting in all of them.

They reformed some 4-5 years ago,years ago, in fact, but I dunno what came of it. Wasn't there even a new release?
    They are now called Eskaton II. They released an EP, which was very poor (to be nice) and very far away from what they have done before.
    (actually 2 ex members of Eskaton plus 2 ex members of Musique Noise)

How to wreck a great song

Last edited by TheH; 08-04-2017 at 02:45 PM.

Eskaton II I was supposed to work with them on this but eventually it didn't happen
    and I hear ARCHAÏA also reformed and recorded a 2nd but from the reports its nothing like that classic album from 77

(Anxiously waiting for a new Setna album...)
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    (Anxiously waiting for a new Setna album...)
    They are about the only band that's actually got me waiting for their next realease

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I like the Frank Fromy Unit Wail albums. They have a taste of the old Shub sound while still being modern.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I like the Frank Fromy Unit Wail albums. They have a taste of the old Shub sound while still being modern.
    from the fpour we saw at the SZ fest, Neom doesn't exist anymore ( (they've more or less fused in Setna, but the problem is that both bannds were coming from opposite sides of Paris (Lyon and Rouen).
    I've grown to like Scherzoo (certainly theird anyways), but I still have an issue with Unit Wail.