Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: The 10 most overrated drummers of all time

Here are some isolated drum tracks from Keith Moon. Today is his birthday, he would have been 71
    https://www.jambase.com/article/happ...ed-drum-tracks

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    The point is that he's a sort of human drum loop. Which is considered ideal for hip-hop. He made his rep by being able to imitate anybody, not just in sound and feel but in recording quality. Ask for Bonham, and he'd go into the back room, get the five biggest drums there, set up two mics over the resulting kit and one in the kick, and not just play like Bonham but sound like a Led Zeppelin recording of him. Ask for Clyde Stubblefield, and he'd do the same sort of thing according to Clyde's equipment, micing, and feel. Ask for Ringo, ask for Gregg Errico, ask for Earl Palmer..... You get the picture.

So anyway, a year or two back, he and the rest of the Roots did an album with Elvis Costello. And he said that it was the first time he had made a record and sounded like himself. He's something like 43, and has been playing professionally for about 20 years. But this apparently was the first time he didn't have an artist or producer telling him, "Sound like [this guy], or [that guy]." The first time he had someone just dealing with him as if he were Jim Keltner or any other first-call session drummer, and saying: "Play something good. If I like it, I'll tell you, and if I think it isn't quite right for that song, I'll tell you that, and you'll play something else good."
    Sorry, been away from the board for a while and am just now seeing your response to my post. Thanks, I really appreciate your post and that does make sense. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Certainly great players, all of them. I really need to get more of Motian's own records as a leader. I love his playing on the Bill Evans records he played on (that being another example of a drummer who is known for, among other things, playing on some classic records by a classic group, in this instance, a tragically short lived combo).
    Chris, what about his stuff with the mid 70's era American Keith Jarrett Quartet?

Charles
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa