Thread: Esperanza Spalding to Live Stream recording her next album

Esperanza Spalding to Live Stream recording her next album

Sounds interesting and could be a fascinating look into the creative process. The NYT has the skinny. To quote the article...

Starting the morning of Sept. 12, [Spalding] will spend 77 straight hours in the studio, bringing with her a few musicians but no pre-written songs. Over those roughly three days, she will write, arrange and record a full-length album, “Exposure,” while streaming the experience live to a web audience. She is aiming to finish 10 songs, most with lyrics.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

That is SO on my calendar now. Thanks!

Have seen ES twice. First time w/trio & then Emily's D, and she is brilliant!

I also have colossal respect for her personally. When my partner Kay was alive, every year for 8 years we would drive down to Chicago at least twice a season to go to concerts at the outdoor Ravinia complex (S Dan, Moodies, Krall, Ahmad Jamal, Brubeck, Tony Bennett & more). We would always buy the lawn rather than pricey pavilion seats & picnic. You have great sound but no sight line to stage.

She REFUSED to sign a contract with the venue unless they set up 2 gigantic screens so that all the lawn could see her performance. The only time I've ever seen that.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Thanks for the heads-up. Esperanza Spalding is fantastic.
    Can this be the swan song? The final elbow?

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Starting the morning of Sept. 12, [Spalding] will spend 77 straight hours in the studio
    Let's HOPE not. After the first 30 hours she'll be groggy as hell and around 48 she may collapse.

Its done all the time.

You take breaks , eat, discuss etc.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Sleep. THAT will be some riveting live streaming!

looking forward to this, for however long I can catch it.

Work, Sleep, David Gilmour live at Pompeii in the theater conflict (and I'm skipping a free ticket to Wishbone Ash).

Looking forward to the finished product regardless of how much I can catch.

Emily's D+Evolution is excellent.

bump.

stream started this morning, goes through Friday morning.

Finally catching some of it, although Esperanza isn't currently in the studio, but catching the violinist right now, doubling 1 of her vocal takes.

https://www.facebook.com/EsperanzaSp...9220183305527/

just realized, the violinist is Andrew Bird, lol.

Thanks for the reminder. Watched a few hours of this yesterday, and it was quite cool. Lalah Hathaway and Robert Glasper were in the studio with her, and it was a lot of fun to watch.

Just got sucked into this for the past hour or so, pretty fascinating stuff. Doing keyboard overdubs now... mellotron?

esperanza tron 3.jpg

They did a playback of the rough mixes in the studio at about 2 am Eastern Time on Friday, with Esperanza's guide vocals rather than the final takes she did later during the day on Friday. I was blown away by how good this album is--not just given the time pressure, but in general. It might be her best one yet. Glad I managed to snag a copy before it sold out.

Very inspiring to watch how she works. For someone who is so formally trained, she is very intuitive in the studio. Her musical instructions to the band were mostly impressionistic, rather than using the detailed theory language that she undoubtedly knows. It's also obvious that she has a good command of the 'big picture' and isn't just winging it--but she lets the others contribute, too. Very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    They did a playback of the rough mixes in the studio at about 2 am Eastern Time on Friday, with Esperanza's guide vocals rather than the final takes she did later during the day on Friday. I was blown away by how good this album is--not just given the time pressure, but in general. It might be her best one yet. Glad I managed to snag a copy before it sold out.

Very inspiring to watch how she works. For someone who is so formally trained, she is very intuitive in the studio. Her musical instructions to the band were mostly impressionistic, rather than using the detailed theory language that she undoubtedly knows. It's also obvious that she has a good command of the 'big picture' and isn't just winging it--but she lets the others contribute, too. Very cool.
    Yeah! I made it through about half of the songs, but finally had to go to sleep to get up for work the next morning.

Though I only caught a fraction of the time they spent in the studio, it was incredibly memorable and fun. A unique experience for sure. Getting a glimpse into her creative process was beyond cool, and I'm so glad I was able to pre-order a copy before they sold out.