Thread: Other Music NYC - Kickstarter Documentary

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Other Music NYC - Kickstarter Documentary

For anyone interested:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ndependent-rec

While I spent a lot of time and money at Other Music, I never particularly liked the store or got any warm fuzzy feeling about it. Actually, I never really felt anyone who worked at any NYC record store were particularly friendly or even necessarily knowledgeable in a useful or helpful way, with the possible exception of Downtown Music Gallery. But anyway I pretty much knew what I was interested in and was happiest not being interrupted anyway.

But Other Music in particular put out a vibe that the people who worked there were young and if you were interested in Prog you'd best look in what they called the Oldies section. Of course they did have a Krautrock section, because it was hip at the time, and there was a section where you'd find Magma and Cuneiform releases and stuff, but I forget what they called the section. I don't think it was Progressive, but maybe. It was just disappointing that while some cities had stores that were largely Prog and even had a lot of "new" Euro Prog CD reissues and even neo-Prog, etc., NYC never had anything like that.

I think SNL had some skit about a record store with a girl working there that all the guys had a crush on, and she was modeled on a girl from Other Music.

I don't intend to donate to this because Other was certainly no Tower Music!

OM was always one of the stops i made when i was record shopping.It had lots of good stuff,but its problem was it was a small space,It could only display "so much" stock.I mostly perused the jazz and new music bins.

When i sold my vinyl,OM bought most of it.I made quite a bit of money that way.They also gave me the option of cash or credit toward buying cd's.Of course, they made a killing on re-selling my vinyl, but i needed the money.

They should do a docu on Soho Music Gallery.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide