Thread: The Wire Soundtrack

The Wire Soundtrack

I am a huge fan of 'The Wire' and 'Treme' , btw both written by David Simon. While in 'Treme' the music is very present and I love most of it I wasn't really aware of the music in The Wire, more like creating a background, apart from the opening title song 'Down In The Hole that appeared in several versions throughout the series. So I got the CD and you have some punk-ass-bitchin dialog snippets and some great tracks by Salomon Burke, Steve Earle and quite a lot of Rap which is normally not my cup of tea, but a couple of the the rap tracks are so good, my favorite being 'Analyze' by The Sharpshooters that I want to check out some Rap records. Any recommendations ?

Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Wot no rap fans on PE?!

Ok i'll give you a few of my own favourites:
    Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein (released in the early 00's and still sounds futuristic to me. Has to be my favourite hip hop record)
    Madvillain - Madvillany (samples Zappa and Gentle Giant amongst others. Stoner hop)
    Digable Planets - Blowout Comb (Lively jazzy rap a little like A Tribe Called Quests best stuff)
    MF Doom - Operation Doomsday/Mm.. Food (can't choose between these two. One of the guys behind Madvillain)
    Viktor Vaughan - Vaudeville Villain (same fucker different name. Very good album)
    Wu-Tang Clan - 36 Chambers (i only heard this relatively recently, but it's as good as everyone says it is. Method Man plays Cheese in The Wire)
    Dr Octagon - Dr. Octagonecologyst (could have listed half a dozen Kool Keith titles. The guy is prolific to say the least)
    cLOUDDEAD - self titled (slow, stoned, spacey and a bit shoegaze)
    Deltron 3030 - s/t (a concept album. Hip hopera)
    Quasimoto - The Unseen (Psychedelic and jazz influences. Madlib's vocals are tweaked to sound like Camille-era Prince which may take some getting used to. I love it though. His second album is pretty good too)

There's more, but those are the ones that immediately roll off the brain. Maybe check out the allmusic reviews before listening.

Love The Wire btw, esp season 4.
    Last edited by loosefish; 07-22-2017 at 08:47 AM.

Thanx , interesting journey ahead :-)
    PS David Simon just created a new series 'The Deuce' settled in NYC in the 70s IMO this will be more interesting then Vinyl.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9195 en utilisant Tapatalk
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    I am a huge fan of 'The Wire' and 'Treme' , btw both written by David Simon. While in 'Treme' the music is very present and I love most of it I wasn't really aware of the music in The Wire, more like creating a background, apart from the opening title song 'Down In The Hole that appeared in several versions throughout the series. So I got the CD and you have some punk-ass-bitchin dialog snippets and some great tracks by Salomon Burke, Steve Earle and quite a lot of Rap which is normally not my cup of tea, but a couple of the the rap tracks are so good, my favorite being 'Analyze' by The Sharpshooters that I want to check out some Rap records. Any recommendations ?

Love David Simon's work and also love how the music is always in the background.