Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 20 years to appreciate King Crimson?

I guess I'm about due since I first heard them ~20 years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Loved the debut right off. The 1973-4 albums too, though parts of Starless And Bible Black took somewhat longer. I think the live set The Great Deceiver was the link for me, where I got where they were coming from there.

I am still agnostic about the early 70s albums- I find some of that material a little twee compared with what is either side of it.
    How can anybody find Indoor Games, Happy Family, Cirkus and 3/4 of the Lizard suite "twee"?
    Only Dancing Waters and maybe Peacock's Tale are lesser/tweer stuff, but that's about it really.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

^It does help if you read posts before diving in with outrage. You apparently missed the word 'some' whilst conceding some of it is twee yourself.

And I think a significant amount of the Lizard suite is twee but that's just my personal taste, not sure it should be treated as an idiotic opinion. I do like things such as 'Cirkus' and 'A Sailor's Tale' a lot.

Seems to me this period is the favourite of many here! So to go into more depth out of respect, I like most of the first side of Lizard except 'Lady Of The Dancing Water'. Never much cared for the long suite. Islands I haven't played for a long time and really only 'A Sailor's Tale' is a favourite of mine. There are neat things in the arrangement of 'Ladies Of The Road' but not sure about those lyrics! The rest has not previously connected with me at all.

With Poseidon, the first side is just too much of a re-run of the debut's first side. The second is more interesting for me.
    Last edited by JJ88; 07-22-2017 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^It does help if you read posts before diving in with outrage. You apparently missed the word 'some' whilst conceding some of it is twee yourself.

And I think a significant amount of the Lizard suite is twee but that's just my personal taste.
    I had seen the "some" and I wasn't "outraged" (just shocked ), but unless you meant Islands (I think that one is a bit "twee") or side 2 of Poseidon (since Side 1 is a clone of Court), it aimed Lizard as well

But let's drop it this senseless argument, shall we?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Listening to Lizard and Islands for the first time in maybe 10 years... definitely some growth potential in both of them.

But man, Ladies of the Road is like an anti-masterpiece. Thought after the first two verses "well sure, that's pretty bad" and then you get the "me no surrender" line. Had a good laugh as I deleted it off the computer.

I love King Crimson, but there are certain era's or specific albums I don't listen to. My experience with KC is that it often didn't click right away. They were one of the harder bands for me to get into. Glad it didn't take me 20 years!

Got my tickets for their upcoming US tour. Saw them last time around, they were on fire.
    Last edited by eporter66; 07-23-2017 at 10:00 AM.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    That was a great video. Those improvs were blazing. I'd be in for a large CD boxset for TCOL. I'd also be in for a large boxset for The ProjeKcts (though I suspect that one is purely a pipedream for me).
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post

On the flip side...it's taken roughly 20 years for me to finally un-get Yes.
    Yep - its called "No".

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    That was a great video. Those improvs were blazing. I'd be in for a large CD boxset for TCOL. I'd also be in for a large boxset for The ProjeKcts (though I suspect that one is purely a pipedream for me).
    If a TCOL box included a lot of video it would be an autobuy for me. IIRC KC filmed the entire European tour. Fripp had planned to sell viewings on some sort of very early streaming platform though I believe the technology just was not there yet, and the whole venture fell through.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    If a TCOL box included a lot of video it would be an autobuy for me. IIRC KC filmed the entire European tour. Fripp had planned to sell viewings on some sort of very early streaming platform though I believe the technology just was not there yet, and the whole venture fell through.
    Personally, CDs mean to more to me these days than DVDs. So I much rather have all these shows (but especially the improvs) in that format, but I wouldn't complain if it was both (being assuming a large box there will be plenty of both anyway).

And general question...how much from this lineup has seen the light of day on physical format? Obviously there is Heavy ConstruKction and I recall a Live In Warsaw KCCC. Was that it?

A KCCC from Nashville in '01 and Level Five (also '01). Nothing else from '00 when Mastelotto was using the 100% electronic kit with KC (he used it with the ProjeKcts, too). By '01, he was using the blended kit and the band was playing older pieces, too.

Yeah I'd like some more stuff from '00. A unique time in Crim history.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

And general question...how much from this lineup has seen the light of day on physical format? Obviously there is Heavy ConstruKction and I recall a Live In Warsaw KCCC. Was that it?
    TCOL/Heaven & Earth
    Heavy ConstruKction
    Warsaw '00 (KCCC/Collectable series)
    Level Five
    Nashville '01 (KCCC)
    Milan '03 (KCCC)
    New Haven, CT '03 (KCCC)

Plus the Eyes Wide Open DVDs, and of course whichever scattered tracks made it onto the yearly Tourboxes. A good amount of stuff, but still not nearly enough for my taste.

Those '03 shows are excellent. But, again, the shows from '00 were very different. Would be well worth hearing some more. (Also, you forgot the '03 KCCC from Alexandria when Belew was sick and the rest of the band played as a trio.)
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

^ Yeah, I'm not counting the 03 tour as that was more on TPTB with no improvs and, as mentioned above, the blended drum kit. But I do enjoy both Milan and New Haven.

Forgot about Level 5 (which I like but feels incomplete), and I'll look into Nashville 01. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Those '03 shows are excellent. But, again, the shows from '00 were very different. Would be well worth hearing some more. (Also, you forgot the '03 KCCC from Alexandria when Belew was sick and the rest of the band played as a trio.)
    Didn't forget, but that was a different lineup. I agree both ends of the Double Duo timeline are excellent and worth more of, although in very different ways. '00-01 was great in a way that supports releasing more different shows due to the experimental/improv factor.

Forgot about Level 5 (which I like but feels incomplete)
    That one feels fine to me. It's.... as complete as the band itself was at the time.

Those '03 shows are excellent. But, again, the shows from '00 were very different. Would be well worth hearing some more.
    I agree. I would like to hear more. Right now you can buy the whole 2000 Europe tour on flac for about $120. I'm tempted, but I'm sure as soon as I do it, a cd/dvd box will be announced. So I'm holding off...

i bought the debut in '89 (20 years later) but really didn't get into it.
    it would be around 2000 that i appreciated it and explored more.... up until 1974's Red only.
    maybe in 20 years if i'm still alive i'll get the 80's stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Didn't forget, but that was a different lineup. I agree both ends of the Double Duo timeline are excellent and worth more of, although in very different ways. '00-01 was great in a way that supports releasing more different shows due to the experimental/improv factor.

That one feels fine to me. It's.... as complete as the band itself was at the time.
    It's quite good...just short...especially compared to all the other live albums for the Crim. But, yes...I understand that what there shows were like on that tour.

A KCCC from Nashville in '01 and Level Five (also '01). Nothing else from '00 when Mastelotto was using the 100% electronic kit with KC (he used it with the ProjeKcts, too). By '01, he was using the blended kit and the band was playing older pieces, too.

Yeah I'd like some more stuff from '00. A unique time in Crim history.
    Another thing I find fascinating watching all the 2000 tour vids on youtube is Fripp's guitar sounds. Has he ever been this diverse in terms of tones? Even though it is a bit weird sounding, that piano sound he gets is just wonderful to my years. A wonderful mix of the atmospheric and visceral in terms of attack as well.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Yeah the KC2K lineup really did oscillate between sublime ethereal and gut punching visceral in surprising turns.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

There are dozens of shows to purchase off DGM of the 2000's lineup.

And since KC has done Large Box Sets focusing on their various periods (on a yearly basis), we might get a similar compilation for the 2000's era of Crimson before the end of the year (featuring TCOL, TPTB, Heavy Construction, and the related live audio & filmed recordings).

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    There are dozens of shows to purchase off DGM of the 2000's lineup.
    I know this, but unless those are the very rare physical downloads this doesn't fit with what I asked.

That said, it makes the creation of a TCOL box even easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Jester View Post
    And since KC has done Large Box Sets focusing on their various periods (on a yearly basis), we might get a similar compilation for the 2000's era of Crimson before the end of the year (featuring TCOL, TPTB, Heavy Construction, and the related live audio & filmed recordings).
    I would prerfer a split between TCOL and TPTB, just so I can get the maximum amount of the 2000 tour material, but either way I'd definitely buy it.

As an aside I played Thrak again and really enjoyed it, with the exception of a couple of 'quirky' Belew numbers.