Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Who solo recommendations ?

The Who solo recommendations ?

I have Pete Townsends Chinese Cowboys (my faviourite), Empty Glass & White City.
    Have Roger Daltrey´s Ride a Rock Horse, Under a Raging Moon (my favourite) & the Mcvicar sountrack. Have not heard his debut but thought the single Giving it all Away was excellent !!
    Have not heard Moon´s solo LP or any by John Entwistle.

I know it´s subjective but is anything else worth exploring ?

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Have not heard Moon´s solo LP or any by John Entwistle.

I know it´s subjective but is anything else worth exploring ?
    Townshend - Who Came First
    Townshend/Lane - Rough Mix

Entwistle -
    Smash Your Head Against the Wall
    Whistle Rymes
    Rigor Mortis Sets In

Moon - Two Sides Of the Moon

[QUOTE=meimjustalawnmower;

Entwistle -
    Smash Your Head Against the Walln[/QUOTE]

This.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I'm partial to Whistle Rhymes myself, a great album indeed. I also have Too Late the Hero, but its been so long since I've heard it to give a comment.

I love Townshend, i buy anything he puts out. Cowboys as mentioned above, White City is stellar, Iron Man has some of his most beautiful lyrics on it. Psychoderelict got trashed, but i really liked it. A lot.

Say what you will, but the man can write a song!

Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    Townshend - Who Came First

Entwistle -
    Smash Your Head Against the Wall
    Whistle Rymes
    Rigor Mortis Sets In

Moon - Two Sides Of the Moon
    Really, i´ve only read & heard negative stuff about Moon´s solo album which is probably the reason i´ve never bought it !! Soundwise, who would you compare this album with, if at all possible?

Any thoughts on Townsends Scoop album´s. I understand they´re only demos but the demos on the expanded Quadraphenia are quite good, sound almost like the finnished song !!!!
    Last edited by Rufus; 02-04-2013 at 04:39 PM.

The Entwistle record I liked best was Too Late The Hero. Some cool bass lines on that record, sounds like an 8 string on Try Me, and you've got Joe Walsh on guitar. How can you go wrong?

The thing about Townshend's records is mostly of the "singer/songwriter" variety. There's some good songs on those records (and David Gilmour guesting on a couple songs on White City), but don't go looking for "lost" Who songs or whatever (though I still say Face Dances Pt. 2, Rough Boys and maybe a couple others would have made good Who songs).

I thought the first Scoop album (the only one I heard) was pretty good, though I probably haven't heard it in nearly 30 years. Liked the solo performances of So Sad About Us and Behind Blue Eyes. There's also a cool synthesizer solo piece on that there. I also remember there being a kind of funky piano based instrumental that I liked.

For Daltrey, I only know the singles, but I always thought these ones were cool:

Bonus Tracks

Warning: There are versions of most of the solo albums with bonus tracks. I actually have UK and Japanese versions of "White City" because they have different extra tracks on them. Good ones, too. The Roger Daltry solo CDs are kind of expensive now.

Library Jon

Banned
    The Moon album is only popular because it's Keith Moon and he died so young. If he were still alive, that album would get as much accolades as "Ramshackled". Taken on it's own, it's lame. ALL the Townshend and Entwistle stuff is VERY VERY STRONG.

The Daltrey stuff is all pretty light weight. Remember, he's not a song-writer so most of his albums are just songs by outside writers.

I love Townshends "White City" - a lot of great tracks if you ask me

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I thought the first Scoop album (the only one I heard) was pretty good, though I probably haven't heard it in nearly 30 years.
    Same here. I though it was great. spent quite a bit of time with that. it's the only Who-related album I every bought except that I bought an audio cassette copy of It's Hard, solely for the purpose of having a copy of "Eminence Front."

Quote Originally Posted by eporter66 View Post
    I love Townshends "White City" - a lot of great tracks if you ask me
    One side (the conceptual one) is OK (I owned it a few months, back in the days), but in a general view, The Who was one of these groups were the differents entities amounted to much more together than the addition of the four indivudual parts together. Sooooo far from having heard everything, but my overall idea is that I will avoid any solo who member albums... Just not worth my time
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Moon - Two Sides Of the Moon is far out.
    He doesnt even play drums that much (if at all), he sings out of tune, and the music is some sort of surf pop.

An amazing and original drum wizard in The Who, and a clown outside

Townshend: Well, you have the best Townshend album in Chinese Eyes, but his others are very good also. I highly recommend White City and Psychoderelict. Regarding the latter, there are two versions: the "standard" version with a lot of voiceovers doing the story, and the "music only" version. You pays your money and you takes your choice (I have both). Also, the Scoop series is fascinating as a glimpse into Townshend's musical-creative process.

Daltrey: I honestly don't have much love for his solo albums. He has a great voice, but I don't think he made good choices in songs.

Entwistle: You can't go wrong here, except possibly with Too Late the Hero, which is kind of bland despite -- or perhaps because of? -- Joe Walsh. My favorite is Whistle Rhymes, but that's because of the exceedingly silly lyrics and Peter Frampton's guitar work. Smash Your Head is the most rockin' of Thunderfingers's solo albums.

Moon: Two Sides is really only for completeists, and those should seek out the vinyl for the slipcover. It's a product of the "Hollywood Vampires" era -- Moon, John Lennon, Harry Nilsson and a few others hanging around in LA making asses of themselves.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I bought an audio cassette copy of It's Hard, solely for the purpose of having a copy of "Eminence Front."
    Too bad Townshend has such an anemic guitar tone on the studio version. The version that was used in the video that MTV aired was much better:

The "story" of Psychoderelict is nonsensical and makes some painful attempts at humor, but the songs are strong, so I would definitely recommend the "music-only" version.

All of Pete's rekkids are solid. Chinese Eyes I also think is his best. White City is almost as good. The Scoop albums are all very good. I like Psychoderelict, with the story, and Iron Man, which has two Who tracks. Oh hell, I like'em all.

I have most of John's records as well. Left For Dead is a monstrous live album and I'm partial to Too Late the Hero as well.

Never heard Keith's record.

For Roger, I think the Best Bits has the highligts of his early albums. Parting Should Be Painless, Under a Raging Moon and Rocks in the Head are my favorite solo albums by him.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

All of Pete's rekkids are solid. Chinese Eyes I also think is his best. White City is almost as good. The Scoop albums are all very good. I like Psychoderelict, with the story, and Iron Man, which has two Who tracks. Oh hell, I like'em all.

I have most of John's records as well. Left For Dead is a monstrous live album and I'm partial to Too Late the Hero as well.

Never heard Keith's record.

For Roger, I think the Best Bits compilation has the highligts of his early albums. Parting Should Be Painless, Under a Raging Moon and Rocks in the Head are my favorite solo albums by him.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    Left For Dead is the one he did in the mid 90's, the one where he does 905, right? I thought that was a good album, except (as usual) that bass tone he used from the mid 80's onwards. Up to and including the 82 tour, he had one of the best bass sounds, but somewhere in there, he started boosting the top end and distortion and also started using a flanger (which doesn't really sound as good on bass as it does on other instruments), which I think gave him a relatively weak bass sound. But his playing was still amazing, I saw his solo band in 96, and it was just jaw dropping him watching him from about 10-20 feet away play some of that stuff.

You gotta be kidding me. According to Wikipedia, there's actually a "Deluxe Edition" release of Two Sides Of The Moon. What the frell?!

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I bought an audio cassette copy of It's Hard, solely for the purpose of having a copy of "Eminence Front."
    I don't get the love for EF. That had to be the most boring thing that Pete ever wrote.

^^^It's got a great groove
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Am reading my way thru Pete's autobiography Who I Am. He was certainly at his most creative when his life was in turmoil &/or under the influence of something !

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    ^^^It's got a great groove
    What you call a "great groove", I call redundant and repetitive. I didn't find much value in the Kenney Jones era except for the fact that Pete was saving his best stuff for his solo albums.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    You gotta be kidding me. According to Wikipedia, there's actually a "Deluxe Edition" release of Two Sides Of The Moon. What the frell?!
    A 10 song album with 41 bonus tracks.

Someone has posted the entire album to Youtube in addition to a bunch of the individual songs that are up there, so you can see if you think it's worthwhile. I bought the cutout for a buck when Moonie was still trashing Ramada Inns, and I'm not sure I got my money's worth.
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 02-05-2013 at 05:45 PM.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    I own all the essentials is this one is in a league of it's own. There are some real contenders too.