Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 76 to 93 of 93

Thread: What's New in Neo-Prog?

  1. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Neo Prog died at the end the 90s, what once was adventurous and full of live and weirdness now sound like that "This Winter Machine" track:
    16 minutes of repeating the same boring Piano figure with no tempo changes or any drama
    Maybe it's the influence of Post Rock - a style of music that I despise. I could listen to ten tracks from different groups and think they were all the same players. What I loved about Neo-Prog were the melodies and those soaring Hackett/Gilmour/Latimer influenced guitar solos.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

  2. #77
    Member TheH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,500
    Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Maybe it's the influence of Post Rock - a style of music that I despise. I could listen to ten tracks from different groups and think they were all the same players. What I loved about Neo-Prog were the melodies and those soaring Hackett/Gilmour/Latimer influenced guitar solos.
    I can't say that I despise Post Rock, but I see you argument I would not be able to tell one track from the other too (not even bands).

    Modern Neo Prog tends to have long tracks of absolut nothing happening. No tempo changes, no building up of any tension, nice but lifeless vocals without
    even a bit of drama, no remarkable solos of any kind and so on and so on. They sound more like Zombie Prog now (but Zombies are way cool, Modern Neo Prog ain't).

    My God what happend to that soaring singing Guitars...

  3. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Maybe it's the influence of Post Rock - a style of music that I despise. I could listen to ten tracks from different groups and think they were all the same players. What I loved about Neo-Prog were the melodies and those soaring Hackett/Gilmour/Latimer influenced guitar solos.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    I can't say that I despise Post Rock, but I see you argument I would not be able to tell one track from the other too (not even bands).

    Modern Neo Prog tends to have long tracks of absolut nothing happening. No tempo changes, no building up of any tension, nice but lifeless vocals without
    even a bit of drama, no remarkable solos of any kind and so on and so on. They sound more like Zombie Prog now (but Zombies are way cool, Modern Neo Prog ain't).

    My God what happend to that soaring singing Guitars...

    I have a few Post Rock bands and tend to agree, lots of these sound rather nice, but sounding all the same.. One particular band that stands is the band Explosion in the Sky... They've appeared on many movie sound tracks and I highly recommend this band.

  4. #79
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    11,345
    Wow, here's a band with little to recommend from what I can tell - for some reason Bandcamp emailed me about it:

    https://progeland.bandcamp.com/album...f-the-universe

    A Finnish band with little going on, but an upcoming album. What I'm wondering about is the band's name: Progeland

    Is it meant to be Progland? As an album with song titles and lyrics sung in English, the band name needs to be pronounced as PROGE LAND with a hard G, or as PROJE LAND. Or as Prog Eland. Proggyland? It just seems like an error in the band name. I think they meant to call it Progland or Proggyland and somehow failed.

    Gotta love sub-standard neo-prog! Listen to the music on Bandcamp at your own risk. Not up to SI Music standards!

    UPDATE: Apparently I was following them in Bandcamp. I now vaguely recall them being mentioned on some label's Bandcamp page or something, and following them, but I'm now unfollowing them!
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

  5. #80
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Helsinki
    Posts
    192
    Proge is an abbreviation of progressiivinen rock, the Finnish equivalent of prog. You are right in that the name is a mix of Finnish and English words. Spelling it as a compound word rather than a phrase follows Finnish usage. I'd say the name sounds like a theme park.

  6. #81
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    11,345
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Proge is an abbreviation of progressiivinen rock, the Finnish equivalent of prog. You are right in that the name is a mix of Finnish and English words. Spelling it as a compound word rather than a phrase follows Finnish usage. I'd say the name sounds like a theme park.
    Yes, I did think that was a possibility. But as I alluded, when the song titles and lyrics are in English, you'd kind of expect the band name to be in English too. Anyway, if the music was a little bit better I'd ignore that.

    Maybe it's selling better with Finnish proge fans...
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

  7. #82
    Not new, but yesterday I discovered Moria Falls.. Those who love Genesis, Pendragon and IQ...

  8. #83
    Member TheH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,500
    Some returns of older Neo Prog bands:

    Aragon (Australia) will release the follow up to Rocking Horse
    in several batches. (and you can download the original album for
    free on bandcamp)

    Galaad (Swiss) will release a new album in May 2019

    Clepsydra (Swiss) are working on a new album "The Gap"

  9. #84
    Member ashratom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs CO
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Some returns of older Neo Prog bands:
    Galaad (Swiss) will release a new album in May 2019
    Oh cool! I need to create a page for these guys. I found this band to be really quite good. Not so much on initial impact in 1994 or whatever, but over time, I felt they did a great job of capturing that unique French Theatrical Prog vibe like Ange, Mona Lisa, etc... Thanks for the heads up as always!

  10. #85
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    11,345
    Listening to a band Bandcamp just alerted me to, from Sweden and called Windom End. Anyone heard of them? It's pretty good! For a few minutes the singer's accent was a little off-putting (not usually a problem) but I quickly got used to it, and the music seems really good. Good, soaring guitar, and a very tight and up-front rhythm section. The synths seem to be used in a sort of percussive role too. Not bad at all!

    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

  11. #86
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    13,852
    I listened the the first song. I like it - the vocals sound fine.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 1 Week Ago at 04:25 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  12. #87
    Member Digital_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philly burbs PA
    Posts
    1,039
    I've heard a little bit of Windom End but don't consider them neo prog. If they are then so are the Flower Kings who they sound quite a bit like(imo).

  13. #88
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,728
    Yes, this does sound good and draws me in. Will definitely follow up on this band and thanks for posting.

  14. #89
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    11,345
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I've heard a little bit of Windom End but don't consider them neo prog. If they are then so are the Flower Kings who they sound quite a bit like(imo).
    They have a bit of a technical metal sound, which does cut the neo-prog sound down a bit I agree, although they do tag themselves as neo-prog on Bandcamp.
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

  15. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Listening to a band Bandcamp just alerted me to, from Sweden and called Windom End. Anyone heard of them? It's pretty good! For a few minutes the singer's accent was a little off-putting (not usually a problem) but I quickly got used to it, and the music seems really good. Good, soaring guitar, and a very tight and up-front rhythm section. The synths seem to be used in a sort of percussive role too. Not bad at all!

    Sounds very good. Thanks for the heads up!

  16. #91
    Member Digital_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philly burbs PA
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    They have a bit of a technical metal sound, which does cut the neo-prog sound down a bit I agree, although they do tag themselves as neo-prog on Bandcamp.
    They are listed as neo prog on PA also.

  17. #92

  18. #93
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    Whoa, thanks for the heads up on this new release from Emerald Dawn. I have their earlier one, "Visions", and like it a lot. Looking at the reviews and ratings on PA and they are impressive (4.54, no less). The reviews are in great detail for those who prefer specifics before buying.

    A must have for me.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •