Thread: Spotify is Making Music Under Fake Artists Names and Putting Them on Playlists

Spotify is Making Music Under Fake Artists Names and Putting Them on Playlists

Oh what the hell is this?

https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.c...-on-playlists/

It's all instrumental chill music but still, just a flat fee for the musicians and that's it. In time, could this be used to push artists out of playlists in place of music Spotify owns? I don't know but something in this doesn't compute.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Oh what the hell is this?

https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.c...-on-playlists/

It's all instrumental chill music but still, just a flat fee for the musicians and that's it. In time, could this be used to push artists out of playlists in place of music Spotify owns? I don't know but something in this doesn't compute.
    I think it definitely "computes." In fact, that's pretty much the whole idea.

Hey, the people are tuning into that channel for "chill out" music. What difference does it make if the music comes from an artist who has CDs for sale, or if the song was commissioned directly by Spotify? The people are "chilling" either way, and one way is cheaper for Spotify.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Aside from any content-based complaints, their crap software makes me completely disinterested in ever even looking into the trial version of their paid version. iTunes almost looks good by comparison.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Aside from any content-based complaints, their crap software makes me completely disinterested in ever even looking into the trial version of their paid version. iTunes almost looks good by comparison.
    I've only really used the iOS app. What're your complaints about it? I do have a couple myself.

I posted that article on a different thread today - I actually never listen to playlists on it - I've only searched for music I'm already interested in, I don't use it to "discover" music.

Ember
    It seems to me they're just applying the methodology of Muzak and other production music libraries to their own business. Nothing new here; this sort of music has always been categorized as "work done for hire" as far as the musicians and producers were concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I've only really used the iOS app. What're your complaints about it? I do have a couple myself.

I posted that article on a different thread today - I actually never listen to playlists on it - I've only searched for music I'm already interested in, I don't use it to "discover" music.
    I start their windows app and it becomes unresponsive and the stupid spinning dots continue forever until I kill all the *spotify*.* processes. Then I start it up again and this time it brings me to the main window where I guess I can do stuff. At this point, most of the time Search will bring up a short list of possible matches but then within 3 seconds it jumps back to the main front page where it wants to shove the chart-topping hot playlists of stuff I've never heard of at me. Then I kill it again and go back to normal, usable things like winamp, media player or youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post

That is fucked up....
    G.A.S -aholic

We promised our sources we wouldn’t tell you who the fake artist names are, so we won’t.

But we can tell you that we’re aware of five Spotify-owned tracks that each have more than 500,000 streams – and one with over a million.

“Even the majors don’t know about this,” one source told MBW.
    That smells fishy.

But OTOH most of the chill-out playlists I've heard have been so generic and formulaic that a Muzak-like assembly line wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Me and another guy were painting at some guys house and he liked the Chick Corea Elektric Band stuff we were playing. I find him a cool concert with CCEB on UTUBE with a killer CTA. He turns that off and starys playing THIS STREAMING SERVICE, I THINK sPOTIFy, saying it finds music "like " what you selected. If I want to listen to CCEB ,why would I let some idiot service pick stuff that "sounds like" , but really doesn't, my selection. Screw that new fangled crap, and GET OFF MY LAWN! Just sayin.....................

Pandora has blown my doors off daily, with the breadth and depth of stuff they find for me.

The surprising thing is that even with what they pay artists they are still looking for ways to pay even less.
    <sig out of order>

Question:

If Spotify is paying producers to come up with music under fake band names, and then posting the music under fake track names and fake album names, are the tracks therefore "fake music"? Or are these tracks every bit as legitimate as the "real" music they displace?

It's just organized sound masquerading as something pleasant and meaningful, lol.

Listeners must resist the urge to enjoy these abominations!
    Last edited by Plasmatopia; 07-13-2017 at 08:34 AM.
    <sig out of order>

It sounds a bit like Library albums in the 70s, only these are probably all samples cobbled together.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    The surprising thing is that even with what they pay artists they are still looking for ways to pay even less.
    Yeah, that's the grating thing. Screwing over artists isn't enough. They have to bring in commissioned music purchased at a flat fee which they owe no royalty and offer under the guise that it's the same as everything else.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    It's just organized sound masquerading as something pleasant and meaningful, lol.

Listeners must resist the urge to enjoy these abominations!
    abominations.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    lol! Nice.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    why would I let some idiot service pick stuff that "sounds like" , but really doesn't, my selection. Screw that new fangled crap
    That kind of service has been around for a long time now, though I agree with the sentiment.