Thread: Audacitry Click Remover

Audacitry Click Remover

Anybody here have experience with Audacity's noise reduction capabilities? I'm having trouble making it work -- it seems to have two modes:
    1) Do absolutely nothing
    2) Do way too much, making everything sound horribly aliased

Nothing in between. I'm used to CoolEdit's NR (which was infinitely superior BTW) so I'm not totally unaware of how these things work. Individual click removal seems to be beyond the capabilities of Audacity's "click remover" [sic]. Unless I'm doing something totally wrong?

Are you selecting the whole track or just the areas with clicks? Selecting sections of a track instead of the whole track is more effective.

Have you checked on Audacity's wiki page?

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Click_Removal

You could also try a Google search with the string "audacity click removal" for more information. There are even a few Youtube videos that might be able to help you out.

Yes to all three. I'm not done trying to make it work, but it shouldn't be this hard.

Update 2/5: I downloaded the newest version of Audacity (2.03) which is slightly improved. The click remover still doesn't do anything, but there's a new "repair" utility which smooths the waveform as long as you're less than 128 samples. That's sufficient for killing clicks ONE-AT-A-TIME(!).

Still that's better than redrawing the waveform one sample at a time though....
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 02-06-2013 at 12:42 PM.