Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Inner Ear Brigade -Dromology on altrOck

Hmmmm. So I had a fresh listen to Rainbro tonight. It's far more balanced vocally/instrumentally than I'd remembered. Not sure if I just had the wrong impression about it being vocal heavy, or if I'm confusing this album with something else. Or maybe I was thinking that tone-wise the vocals seem a bit "samey" over the course of the album, which it does to me a bit, but not really in a bad way.

Anyhoo... holy freaking crap what an awesome album. This one's definitely been a grower for me, and hearing it tonight really cemented it in my mind. To me, this is totally Capital P Proggy, but doesn't sound like any of the big 6.437, or whatever. Lots of amazing instrumental stuff here, both independently and backing the vocals, which say what you will about the "tone," this woman can sing and it's quite impressive. Well, I was impressed, anyway.

So, now I'm really looking forward to the new one.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Hmmmm. So I had a fresh listen to Rainbro tonight. It's far more balanced vocally/instrumentally than I'd remembered. Not sure if I just had the wrong impression about it being vocal heavy, or if I'm confusing this album with something else. Or maybe I was thinking that tone-wise the vocals seem a bit "samey" over the course of the album, which it does to me a bit, but not really in a bad way.

Anyhoo... holy freaking crap what an awesome album. This one's definitely been a grower for me, and hearing it tonight really cemented it in my mind. To me, this is totally Capital P Proggy, but doesn't sound like any of the big 6.437, or whatever. Lots of amazing instrumental stuff here, both independently and backing the vocals, which say what you will about the "tone," this woman can sing and it's quite impressive. Well, I was impressed, anyway.

So, now I'm really looking forward to the new one.

Bill
    I think they moved up another level with this one like Udi mentioned - a bit more maturity and complexity? Anyway - the horns!! Not overused and in the RIGHT places. I love when a new album hits comfort zone stage - its like the best tasty dessert ever at that moment

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    I think they moved up another level with this one like Udi mentioned - a bit more maturity and complexity? Anyway - the horns!! Not overused and in the RIGHT places. I love when a new album hits comfort zone stage - its like the best tasty dessert ever at that moment
    Great to hear! I definitely like the bit I sampled and I'll be grabbing it the minute I see the CD available.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    But there is eventually a physical rendition in the works - or? I totally dug their debut, so this is anticipated.
    http://www.altrock.it/?wpsc-product=dromology

^ Yee-haw.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ Yee-haw.
    I love it. Just had it on a couple days ago after a break from the binge... still damn good.

"BIG WOW!!! It happens rarely that an album keeps me totally stunned to the bones! This music reminds me of so many cherished music experiences all at once: Frank Zappa, Hatfield & The North, Magma, Univers Zero...
    Besides the amazing vocals contributed by Melody Ferris, a clear highlight is the dense and complex orchestration, with its awesome wind arrangements and breakneck counterpoints all over."-Sven Schreiber

"According to a highly anticipated episode for this California band, it surprised the entire world's avant-prog movement for the ability to combine instant-tuning melodies with more complex structures making the result fresh and enjoyable.
    With "Dromology" they improve and perfect the proposal making it more mature and engaging. Typically vintage timbres give the collection the right color and an unforgettable listening pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    "BIG WOW!!! It happens rarely that an album keeps me totally stunned to the bones! This music reminds me of so many cherished music experiences all at once: Frank Zappa, Hatfield & The North, Magma, Univers Zero...
    Besides the amazing vocals contributed by Melody Ferris, a clear highlight is the dense and complex orchestration, with its awesome wind arrangements and breakneck counterpoints all over."-Sven Schreiber

"According to a highly anticipated episode for this California band, it surprised the entire world's avant-prog movement for the ability to combine instant-tuning melodies with more complex structures making the result fresh and enjoyable.
    With "Dromology" they improve and perfect the proposal making it more mature and engaging. Typically vintage timbres give the collection the right color and an unforgettable listening pleasure
    I need to hear this...obviously

Just noticed this was out on CD at Wayside. I'll be picking it up very soon.

Bill

Listened to this last night again - what a fine album

Agreed. One you can play over and over. So wonderful

I recently replayed this. I enjoyed it even more then I remembered.