Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD- Magma- Félicité Thösz

FEATURED CD- Magma- Félicité Thösz

by Darryl Weppler http://www.prog-sphere.com/2012/07/3...elicite-thosz/

The new Magma album is a short one. It consists mainly of the epic title track which is divided into different tracks but flow as one piece. An unrelated track ends the album. I'm familiar with K.A. but have not yet heard the last album in its entirety. Like the last two albums, the sound and production here is a step up from their work in the 1970s but the bass does not stand out as much as on pre-2000s albums. There is very little guitar here and good ole regular acoustic piano is the main keyboard. There is some vibraphone here which is barely noticeable but seems to take the place of the Fender Rhodes electric piano in places. "Dzoi" sounds like it has some Rhodes in it, but again this just may be the vibes. Parts of this track reminds me of East Asian music. Vocals, piano and drums are the main ingredients on this album. This is very vocal oriented music with at least four of the band members doing vocals.

(see next post for a second video)

The epic goes through many moods, sometimes subdued and other times bombastic. The vocal melody of "Teha" is one of the highlights of the album with emotive singing on it. I almost hear a very 1960s R&B vibe in this track. This is followed by "Waahrz" which is basically a piano solo and probably the least interesting part of the album. I like the guitar and drums playing in unison during "Tsai," which also has one of the most memorable vocal parts. I think you notice the vibraphone here the most. "Ohst" has some of the best singing on the album, very classic Magma. Some jazzy guitar playing as well. "Zaahr" is the last piece of the epic and is the most avant thing on here. Magma at their darkest, sounding like Art Zoyd (who were of course themselves heavily influenced by Magma).

The last track is called "Les hommes sont venus" and is very repetative and hypnotic. Very different from the main epic, the main instrument here is a glockenspiel. This sounds similar to minimalist composer Terry Riley's piece "In C" although I think this song is actually in E. Well, there you go folks…the new Magma album. Too short? Yes. Sounds like classic Magma? Yes. Essential? Hmmm. Overall Felicite Thosz compares favourably to earlier epics but this is no Kohntarkosz or Theusz Hamtaahk. Pure Magma, not their best but far from their worst.
    Regards,

Duncan

Regards,

Duncan

Personally I think this is a masterpiece. What a great late-career run they've had since (and including) Trilogie!

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I love this album terrific stuff and it was a joy to hear it performed at RIO

KA is probably my favorite of the recent releases but they are all good. This may be the happiest Magma album I have heard.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I still need to buy this one...
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Cool! You used my review. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Personally I think this is a masterpiece. What a great late-career run they've had since (and including) Trilogie!
    Purchased this disc at Nearfest and listened to it multiple times on the way home to Connecticut - Love it!

Great record, of course! Its nice to hear Magma in a joyous mode, though it has its darker moments. Some of the album is, for lack of a better word, uplifting in a strange way. Vander has done it again!
    Last edited by zombywoof; 11-07-2012 at 08:55 PM.

Haven't heard it yet...but I will!

It’s on my want list. What I’ve heard is definitely “happy” Magma but that works for me.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"You can take the war out of the soldier, but you can't raise that soldier from the dead."
    --Shona Laing

N.P.:“Nairam”-Kit Watkins/Azure

This album is a very worthy addition to their catalog. I consider it no less than outstanding.

the only album that i like by the reformed Magma
    weill the Floe Essi ep was great too

I lvoe this album. It's my favorite of the recent releases. An amazing album
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

Like most Magma fans, I was real familiar with the piece, having collected several concert recordings and seen them play it live before the record came out. It was nice to hear a more layered approach to the vocals, but I can't say there was a day and night difference or that this is necessarily the definitive version end to end. I still could do without the piano solo, but it doesn't seem as endless as on some renditions. My favorite touch, actually, is that if you listen carefully Vander's vocal solo is actually a duet between the sane and crazy Vander voices, which I find charming. Length aside, it's a single, and "Venus" is a good B-side.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Totale III View Post
    Like most Magma fans, I was real familiar with the piece, having collected several concert recordings and seen them play it live before the record came out. It was nice to hear a more layered approach to the vocals, but I can't say there was a day and night difference or that this is necessarily the definitive version end to end. I still could do without the piano solo, but it doesn't seem as endless as on some renditions. My favorite touch, actually, is that if you listen carefully Vander's vocal solo is actually a duet between the sane and crazy Vander voices, which I find charming. Length aside, it's a single, and "Venus" is a good B-side.
    Is it considered a single?

This is a fabulous album, not at all like the primary Magma disc in that it's intentionally consonant in nature. Still intriquite and layered but with minial dissonance. As typical I can't remember or pronounce the track names, but track 5, with the angelic female vocal (reminds me of a laid back flora Purim) and the piano interlude can bring tears.

I'm that type that bores easily and quickly moves to the next new one in the stack but I did myself coming back to this oe frequently.

Scored it....love it. I agree with the "happy" comments....it's quite joyful in nature, not dark at all......spun it twice, so far, and it will get quite a bit more attention in the coming days.

chalkpie
    Just revisited this piece, actually twice. This is pure beauty albeit with a few dark moments. Dare I say almost as good as anything they've ever done? Sure why not.....its just a different angle of CV's creations. Don't love the production, but it is certainly more than tolerable. His use of pedal tones and building melodies off of that is fantastic. This is a gem IMO. Revisit this!!

One of my favorite Magma pieces, it's pure joy!!
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

I played this today. It's a gorgeous piece; particularly love Stella's voice on some of the melodies in the first half. Was thinking it was Christian's best until I put on MDK afterwards. Okay, top 5!!

Ready for Slag Tanz!

Played this constantly when it first came out. I think its my favorite by them. Still turn to it often.

I can't explain why but its the only album that i like by the reformed Magma weill the Floe Essi ep was great too
    But I havn't heard the last 2 eps

Udi you should listen to Slag Tanz,
    I think you would like it too.
    I also like ER, but then again I dont consider it a new work since most of it was written in the 70s...