Thread: Frank Zappa - What's My Line, TV Appearance 1971

Frank Zappa - What's My Line, TV Appearance 1971

He's actually promoting "200 Motels."
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

He's actually promoting "200 Motels."
    I love how Soupy Sales was able to guess who he was (with not all that much to go on!) I later read that Sales had many jazz musician friends, so it's no wonder he was able to figure him out. I'm sure Gene Rayburn and Arlene Francis had NEVER heard of him before this, though.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I love how Soupy Sales was able to guess who he was (with not all that much to go on!) I later read that Sales had many jazz musician friends, so it's no wonder he was able to figure him out. I'm sure Gene Rayburn and Arlene Francis had NEVER heard of him before this, though.
    Yeah, I figured he's solve it. His sons are musicians and he was probably familiar with him already.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    His sons are musicians and he was probably familiar with him already.
    I didn't know that, so I checked Wikipedia: "They had two sons, both of whom are rock musicians: bassist Tony Sales and drummer Hunt Sales (who were in the band Tin Machine with David Bowie)." That's very cool. Sales was hipper than I thought.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I didn't know that, so I checked Wikipedia: "They had two sons, both of whom are rock musicians: bassist Tony Sales and drummer Hunt Sales (who were in the band Tin Machine with David Bowie)." That's very cool. Sales was hipper than I thought.
    Yep, they are killer musicians.

Howard Kaylan said that Soupy Sales had (connections to) the best weed in NYC!

I didn't know that, so I checked Wikipedia: "They had two sons, both of whom are rock musicians: bassist Tony Sales and drummer Hunt Sales (who were in the band Tin Machine with David Bowie)."
    And in Todd Rundgren's band Runt.

They also played with Iggy Pop (that's how they got hooked up with Bowie), and Tony played with Steve Jones, Nigel Harrison, Clem Burke and Michael Des Barres in Chequered Past.

BTW, as I understand it, if the celebrity knows who the person is, they have to recluse themselves from guessing, though they would still "play for fun" sometimes. So if Soupy really knew who Frank was beforehand, or recognized him, he would have been obligated to say so.