Thread: Alice Cooper-Pretties For You

Alice Cooper-Pretties For You

I'm not a big of most of his work, but due to it being on Zappa's Straight label, I gave it a listen and was blown away. Zappa is quoted as saying, "I don't get it and that is why I am going to sign you". There are all of these little vignettes throughout the duration of the album and although it sounds like chaos, there is a certain cohesiveness to it. It was recorded live in the studio and they performed it note for note each and every night. It is an orgiastic feast for the senses.

I was turned onto "Pretties For You" by the tracks on the "Zappéd" sampler, and it remains my fav Alice Cooper. They got a lot less experimental after this, and to me a lot less interesting. Zappa was a keen judge of musicians.

I never heard this until having Nick Didkovsky as a FB friend, raving about Pretties For You, compelled me to buy it and i'm glad i did.In 2015 Nick and friends performed Pretties For You live at The Stone in NYC and released it on dvd.I highly recommend it.I provide a link to purchase the dvd.

http://didkovsky.com/pfy/
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

That's fantastic!! Thanks, Walt.

Quote Originally Posted by florentine pogen View Post
    I'm not a big of most of his work, but due to it being on Zappa's Straight label, I gave it a listen and was blown away. Zappa is quoted as saying, "I don't get it and that is why I am going to sign you". There are all of these little vignettes throughout the duration of the album and although it sounds like chaos, there is a certain cohesiveness to it. It was recorded live in the studio and they performed it note for note each and every night. It is an orgiastic feast for the senses.
    I like it ok, but there are a lot of Alice Cooper albums that I like better.

Easy Action has some pretty fun pseudo-Beefheart/early Mothers/early Floyd stuff on it. (I like how on "March Of The Spiders" they frenzy out for four minutes and then it ends with the producer saying "you wanna hear a playback?" and someone in the band says "yeah" and they all sound bored.)

G'Evening Music-ers!

I'm happy that somebody started a post regarding this album. Last couple of years I have added about five Alice Cooper Band cd's to my collection. One of my friends was exploring them back in the 70's. Seems as if as much as I did 'appreciate' their music then, my musical listening was taking me down a different path at that time. Seems as if I always say that I just was NOT ready for that band until recent years. So cool in finding some interesting listens missed along the way!

Pretties is a VERY interesting release.... as well as the early releases up until 'he' became the band. Lots to discover, looking forward to it, and I think many here would find the bands early works touch a lot of good buttons!

Carry On
    Chris Buckley
    Last edited by winkersnufs; 07-05-2017 at 08:57 PM.

I prefer Easy Action to Pretties for You, but both are really fun to listen to. But if one ever questions what a good producer can do for a band, listen to the change from Easy Action to the next albums Love It To Death and Killer, both produced with Bob Ezrin. That's Ezrin on the organ, by the way.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Somewhat embryonic, but a lot of fun. Not for the casual listener. I'm a big fan, though.

And, you gotta love the cover.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Easy Action and Pretties For You are both terrific and led up to the masterpiece that is Love It To Death. Those three are really all I need from Alice Cooper.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Easy Action and Pretties For You are both terrific and led up to the masterpiece that is Love It To Death. Those three are really all I need from Alice Cooper.
    What, no "Killer"?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I think Pretties For You is Alice's weirdest album. I rarely listen to it. I prefer what came after.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    What, no "Killer"?
    I "love it to death!!!" Great album (as were School's Out and Billion Dollar Babies) but the first three are my AC trilogy!!!
    The Prog Corner