Thread: Flash (Peter Banks) 1st CD Release Identification

Flash (Peter Banks) 1st CD Release Identification

I came across a CD of the first Flash album in electronic form, but I'm trying to identify the specific release. It has a "hidden track" at the end that is about a 90 second snippet from the song "Dreams of Heaven" (I'm not sure if it is a demo or alternate version). Here is an MP3 of the track:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k16i9a5t14...known.mp3?dl=0

There is an artwork file included that has the cover of this compilation album which includes the first 2 Flash albums, however its entry on Discogs does not list this track (nor do any of the other CD releases of the first album that I can tell):

https://www.discogs.com/Flash-FlashO...elease/7732768

Does anyone have this compilation CD or a version of the first Flash CD with this track on it, and if so can you tell me the label and catalog number? Thanks.

The One Way releases of Flash 1 & Flash 2 do not have any hidden tracks. However the track "Dreams of Heaven" is the standard 4th song on Flash 1 (full length: 12:57). Your 1:34 excerpt is simply the last 1:34 of the released version.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 07-04-2017 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    The One Way releases of Flash 1 & Flash 2 do not have any hidden tracks. However the track "Dreams of Heaven" is the standard 4th song on Flash 1 (full length: 12:57). Your 1:34 excerpt is simply the last 1:34 of the released version.
    Thanks for the info. It's possible that it wasn't an actual track on the CD, but someone made a mistake when they ripped it, causing it to be repeated and reported as a hidden track when it was just part of the previous track. The album I acquired was in WavePack format (similar to FLAC) with a cue file, and had to be split with a cue splitter program. Anything could have gone wrong in that process.

I'll stick to that theory until otherwise corrected. Of course, I still don't know which version of the CD I have, but that's probably impossible to determine from the files alone. For the record, I own the Flash albums on vinyl, but they are getting quite hard to come by on CD (which is the only reason I downloaded through less than official channels).

Quote Originally Posted by devoidzer0 View Post
    I still don't know which version of the CD I have, but that's probably impossible to determine from the files alone.
    I'd say the clues point to a rip of the Friday Music two-fer.

I'd say the clues point to a rip of the Friday Music two-fer.
    The problem with that is the Friday Music release has both albums on a single disc. The version I downloaded had 2 separate sets of WavePack/cue files for each disc. That means each album was on a separate disc. The log files indicate that each rip began at track 1. It's possible that someone separated the Friday Music release into two discs and ripped those, but there's no way of knowing.

Looks like Friday Music released both albums as separate discs in 2011. Apparently the twofer from 2003 went out of print.

Looks like Friday Music released both albums as separate discs in 2011. Apparently the twofer from 2003 went out of print.
    Discogs shows a 180 gram LP reissue of the debut by Friday, but I'm not seeing separate CD releases. In any event, the artwork on the files I downloaded shows the twofer version from 2003, but they may have just pulled it off the web. For all I know the rips are from the One Way versions. It's not a huge deal.

Oops, you're right. FWIW the clip you posted sounded identical to the One Way release, but a lot of reissues aren't remixed.