Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4th of July playlist

4th of July playlist

So it's the 4th of July holiday in America. We've got Hendrix's Star Spangled Banner, Skynyrd's Red White and Blue, the Dead's US Blues, Chicago's Saturday in the Park, Kansas's Song for America. And can't forget the Brits and Canadians. Yes's version of America. Philadelphia Freedom by Elton John, Neil Young's Rockin in the Free World, Lakeside Park by Rush (just substitute 4th of July for 24th of May). Any proggy song suggestions for the holiday barbecue?

^There is a Beach Boys outtake (not released until the 90s) called '4th Of July'...but maybe not one for a party situation, it's a protest song. A lovely record worth seeking out, though.

A nice bit of nonsense from Sweet

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Liberty by Steve Vai works for me.

America by The Nice even though it is a protest song.

"Monster" by Steppenwolf

"With God on Our Side" by Bob Dylan
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Zaragon View Post
    Each 4th of July, I celebrate not the Declaration of Independence, but the Bicentennial — the most eventful July 4th of my lifetime. This RandtomTube/YouTube playlist of 1,000+ jazz/fusion/funk/symphonic/electronic/library instrumentals from 1976 — the most maximal, globally fruitful year in the history of recorded music — keeps me in the Spirit of '76 throughout the day until I head on out to catch the fireworks.

Very nice playlist!
    thx for sharing
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    God Save The Queen - The Sex Pistols

Land Of Hope & Glory - Elgar

Jerusalem
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I'll be the first to go with the obvious...

Poofter's Froth Wyoming Plans Ahead - Zappa/Beefheart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6u_bVcemiQ
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Chicago, "Saturday in the Park"
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Brandy - Looking Glass
    Summer Breeze - Seals & Crofts
    It's Too Late - Carole KIng
    Rocket Man - Elton John
    Backstabbers - O'Jays

Those tunes remind me of family beach days in the 70s
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

"America" and "American Tune" by Simon (with and without Garfunkel).
    "Elected" by Alice Cooper
    "Young Americans" by Bowie
    "Low Spark of High Heeled Boys" by Traffic (in the mid-70s this tune was always one of highest rated songs on the 4th of July Top 200 on a local FM station - my, how times have changed)
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Grateful Dead - U.S. Blues is my personal favorite

Magellan - Hour of Restoration

Banned
    Neil Young - Children of Destiny

Some people have a different idea of “the obvious” from me...

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Kansas - people of the south wind.

Harry Chaplin - she is always 17

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Zaragon View Post
    Each 4th of July, I celebrate not the Declaration of Independence, but the Bicentennial — the most eventful July 4th of my lifetime. This RandtomTube/YouTube playlist of 1,000+ jazz/fusion/funk/symphonic/electronic/library instrumentals from 1976 — the most maximal, globally fruitful year in the history of recorded music — keeps me in the Spirit of '76 throughout the day until I head on out to catch the fireworks.

I'm with you Bro...I graduated high school in '76.....(what a GREAT Summer THAT was!!!) The Bi-centennial celebration on the East coast was quite a site. Operation Sail with 1000's of boats, ships, vintage sailing vessels in the NY harbor. I worked my summer job on the Asbury Park boardwalk......best time ever!!!!!
    G.A.S -aholic

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    The Bi-centennial celebration on the East coast was quite a site. Operation Sail with 1000's of boats, ships, vintage sailing vessels in the NY harbor.
    I so wish I could remember that year. I turned three years old in late May of 1976, but I do remember the Bicentennial by proxy, because memorabilia from various events — "Spirit of '76"-themed Disney dishes, etc. — were displayed in my childhood home for several years after the fact.

I first became fascinated with 1976 around 1986 when I began collecting. Nineteen Seventy-Six just always seemed to be at the epicenter of the greatest two-decade span in musical history — like the highest part of a camel's back that started ten years beforehand and ended ten years afterwards.

In a sense, my constant immersion in 1976 has been my way of gaining something I'll never have — first hand, adult experience with that era. Then again, it might be for the better, because my distance gives me both a romanticism and objectivity for 1976 and the years immediately before and after.

Speaking of Asbury Park Springsteen's 4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy). I don't listen to him anymore but used to every June and July. His music never made any sense to me any other time of year

Cardiacs