Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4th of July playlist

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    My wife and I were just talking the other night about how July 4th, 1976 was the only "significant" July 4th we'd see, but our kids would likely celebrate July 4th, 2076 (though I added a fairly serious "If there's still a USA then"). I was actually on the island of Capri on 7/4/1976.

I would consider 2026 at 250 years pretty significant. We're not far off.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

for this year ---The Gates Of Delirium---Yes

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I would consider 2026 at 250 years pretty significant. We're not far off.
    We'll be on president #46 or 47 by then! 👍

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    We'll be on president #46 or 47 by then! ��
    We'll be on #46 by 2021 if the bloated orange tick can even make that far...

Speaking of the Spirit of 76, any fans of the Spirit album of the same name? Starts with a medley of America the Beautiful and The Times They Are A-Changing, and ends with The Star Spangled Banner

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Speaking of the Spirit of 76, any fans of the Spirit album of the same name?
    Hmm, one that I should probably work through and add to the ultimate 1975 list at some point. As for songs that directly address the topic of the Bicentennial, here's a good one from the Ohio Players off their 1976 Contradiction LP:

Sometimes the most patriotic songs are the ones that remind us of our weakness.

Morrissey - America Is Not The World

Quote Originally Posted by Zaragon View Post
    I so wish I could remember that year. I turned three years old in late May of 1976, but I do remember the Bicentennial by proxy, because memorabilia from various events — "Spirit of '76"-themed Disney dishes, etc. — were displayed in my childhood home for several years after the fact.

I first became fascinated with 1976 around 1986 when I began collecting. Nineteen Seventy-Six just always seemed to be at the epicenter of the greatest two-decade span in musical history — like the highest part of a camel's back that started ten years beforehand and ended ten years afterwards.

Nice post!

I was 14 in 1976 and really didn't get into the festivities. I was too busy getting stoned and listening to Black Sabbath in our wood paneled basement/playroom.

If you ever watched "That 70s Show", our basement was just like that , except we had shag carpeting and a separate room for the washer/dryer!

The only significant thing I recall was the awful remake of King Kong!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Nice post!

I was 14 in 1976 and really didn't get into the festivities. I was too busy getting stoned and listening to Black Sabbath in our wood paneled basement/playroom.

If you ever watched "That 70s Show", our basement was just like that , except we had shag carpeting and a separate room for the washer/dryer!
    14? Mamacita!