Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why is Radiohead so popular?

Why is Radiohead so popular?

I've been following the band since 1994, they had just released their debut album and were relatively unknown. Being just 16, I wasn't a progger yet, I was a Beatles and Queen fan, only starting to dip my feet into Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin.
    Fast forward 20+ years, I consider myself a devoted progressive music fan, not perhaps as deep as some people in this forum, but still...
    So, back to the subject. Radiohead was never the favourite band, but I loved "OK Computer" the first minute I listened to it and I was blown away by their "Hail to the thief". These and "the Bends" are probably my most favourite albums. I never appreciated their electronic stuff and I didn't think much of the last year's album either. Having lived in Russia up until three years ago, I never had a chance to watch them live - so I was really excited to attend the Rock Werchter festival in Belgium last weekend, as they were Friday's headliners.
    ...The concert left a profound impression in me. Having observed them play this music, I think I started digging their "Kid A" and "Amnesiac". I re-listened couple of times "Moon shaped pool" and it started growing on me as well.
    All of it leads me to my question. There was a huge crowd (80-100 thousands) listening to the performance. Absolute majority came there to see this band. They sang along most of the songs.
    To me, Radiohead is definitely prog. They are even "more prog" (if I may say so) than, for one, Marillion, because Radiohead are not afraid to experiment. After mega-successful "Ok computer" they took a decision to radically change the musical direction, and repeatedly did it ever since. They don't have long songs but the music is definitely complex enough in comparison to the other canon prog bands.
    So, the question - why do you think Radiohead is so massively popular despite their progressive nature which should have put them probably as known as King Crimson but not as what they are known now, with millions sales figures and sold-out festival venues?

Because they have a catchy pop hypodermis.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I have NO idea!! I've tried on numerous occasions to listen to them hoping to find what everyone raves about, with absolutely no luck. I honestly don't get all the buzz around them.

As above, No Idea. Same goes for Muse.

I've never heard them but did hear this radio feature a week or so ago on the 20th anniversary of the "groundbreaking" and "original" OK Computer . Based on this--admittedly truncated--appreciation it's doubtful that I'll go out of my way to hear it:

http://www.wnyc.org/story/the-legacy-of-ok-computer
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Beats me...

Because they keep enough of an Indie element to keep them from getting slagged off in the music press. It's OK to like them. Real Prog-Rock, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Because they have a catchy pop hypodermis.
    I would agree with you up to "OK computer". But later they consciously took the decision to take this catchiness out of their music - at least I don't see one in Kid A and in most albums further...

They're popular because they write really good songs.

The fact they have also dabbled in musical styles that bring them closer to what I like is a bonus, but even if they hadn't done that "The Bends" would have been one of the best albums of the 90s.

They earned their indie/altrock cred *before* introducing more overt "proggy" elements.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dpt3 View Post
    They earned their indie/altrock cred *before* introducing more overt "proggy" elements.
    I agree with this, they had enough of an indie alt rock following before they became more experimental, they've also managed to keep writing good music that is catchy while also edgy. It's a very rare combination especially while retaining a large audience. Personally I love everything they've done since OKC and they come over really well live.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I agree with this, they had enough of an indie alt rock following before they became more experimental, they've also managed to keep writing good music that is catchy while also edgy. It's a very rare combination especially while retaining a large audience. Personally I love everything they've done since OKC and they come over really well live.
    I second this. Their show I saw a couple of months ago was one of my favorite concert experiences.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Radiohead, Muse, and Coldplay are the holy (or unholy) trinity of band people have said to me "oh, you should like them if you like Marillion," yet from what I've heard none of them have done anything for me. Granted, i haven't really heard all that much of any of them. Just enough to not want to go any further. I can appreciate what the OP says about Radiohead - maybe they have a more adventurous spirit than Marillion in being willing to change gears for an album, but to me it's not Prog if a certain amount of time/focus isn't dedicated to instrumental sections. Marillion isn't King Crimson, but they satisfy my need for soloing, interesting keyboard textures, interplay with bass and drums, etc. None of these other bands does.

To answer the OP's question, Radiohead was at the right place in the right time. Compared to crap like the Spin Doctors, Crash Test Dummies, Green Day, etc. Radiohead must have seemed pretty cutting edge to a lot of people.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Marillion isn't King Crimson, but they satisfy my need for soloing, interesting keyboard textures, interplay with bass and drums, etc. None of these other bands does.

To answer the OP's question, Radiohead was at the right place in the right time. Compared to crap like the Spin Doctors, Crash Test Dummies, Green Day, etc. Radiohead must have seemed pretty cutting edge to a lot of people.
    Sorry Jed but if you don't think Radiohead has any keyboard textures or interplay between bass and drums you're clueless. The interplay and layering of sounds is one of their greatest assets.

Right place at the right time is true of a lot of bands, who knows why some non-mainstream band clicks and others don't. As stated before their initial indie material was very much of that time in the UK, it was pretty much a shock to the majority when they veered away from the formula with OKC.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Silantyev View Post
    I would agree with you up to "OK computer". But later they consciously took the decision to take this catchiness out of their music - at least I don't see one in Kid A and in most albums further...
    When you are offered a label such as the "Dark Side of the Moon" of the 90s, everything goes on automatic pilot, even if you change musical direction...

PS. "Kid A" was not that experimental as the mainstream press wanted to persuade the music-buying public that it was. However, it's their best album i.m.o.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    I have NO idea!! I've tried on numerous occasions to listen to them hoping to find what everyone raves about, with absolutely no luck. I honestly don't get all the buzz around them.
    Me neither. I think they're really over-overhyped.
    They started as alternative-grunge, part of all the "i wanna die, everything sucks" movement and then evolved to a more electronic sound.

Yorke's not a bad singer, but his voice sounds like he's under medication for depression or he's too bored.
    Their music is mostly for background, no real edge.

I like some songs, but can't listen to a full album without getting bored or depressed.

It's strange why this thread was moved to Off-topic. Radiohead are definitely prog IMHO.

It's strange why this thread was moved to Off-topic. Radiohead are definitely prog IMHO.
    I guess that tells you one of the mods thoughts on Radiohead.

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    I guess that tells you one of the mods thoughts on Radiohead.
    Fair enough. However it's not consistent with the thread about "Moon shaped pool" still being on the Main board.

Not all bands can be considered as forward thinking as John Payne and the Rock Pack, apparently!

As mentioned, Ok Computer did everything. People who had absolutely no contact with 70s rock music welcomed this as some kind of a revelation, when it's simply the same old thing in an indie package. For the masses Radiohead are still considered as some kind of avant-garde innovators. But obviously always approachable. Quality of songwriting is also relevant: they're overrated as hell but they're a good band, and I consider Kid A and Amnesiac to be significant and to the point records

I love 'em, but it is a mystery to me why so many people who have otherwise maudlin musical tastes (nobody here, of course!) like them, because their music IS challenging for the most part. I guess there's room for one "weird" band in everybody's tastes, and that band is Radiohead.

Coldplay is just U2 with literally the Edge sanded off and replaced with keyboards. At the risk of sounding sexist it's music for suburban women in their 30s that want to be adventurous. Muse is a little more interesting by taking the Radiohead template, cranking up the guitars, and adding some Queen-like grandiosity. There's some multi-part suites in their catalog as well. But it was Radiohead that broke through first. I think that OK Computer, the Bends, and Kid A are truly great records and have influenced a host of indie/alt bands. As noted above there is plenty of interplay in the rhythm section. Hell, there's even playing with time sigs, which is routine for prog but not for indie rock. I wouldn't say that their experiments with electronics are at the cutting edge but among their indie peers they're ahead of the curve. Definitely small "p" progressive.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I am fan. I hated the song “Creep” when it came out and had completely wrote the band off, but then when “OK Computer” kept getting rave reviews I decided to take a chance. It did not blow me away right away, but over time I have come to the conclusion that it is a masterpiece. I have most of their albums since, some of which I like better than others. I think they are innovative and definitely willing to try different musical avenues. I am not a huge fan of Thom Yorke’s voice, but it does work pretty perfectly with the material that they do. All that being said it kind of boggles my mind that they have gotten as big as they have. Their music just does not seem like something that would transcend to the level of public acceptance that it has. Maybe right place at the right time is true with these guys. My wife has a nephew who is about 20 years younger than me and he puts Radiohead on the same pedestal that my generation put Pink Floyd.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    I love 'em, but it is a mystery to me why so many people who have otherwise maudlin musical tastes (nobody here, of course!) like them, because their music IS challenging for the most part.
    My thoughts exactly!