Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: BENT KNEE- Land Animal

BENT KNEE- Land Animal

Didn't find a thread on this, so thought I'd start one myself. Not sure what to make of the new release yet. There is stuff on it I absolutely love, stuff I'm perplexed by, and stuff that I'm not sure I'll ever get into, lol. It just shows the variety of material, I suppose, that this band is capable of. I love the production on it, and how each song flows almost seamlessly into the next. The song-writing is strong and confident, and Courtney's lyric writing is as intriguing as ever.

For some reason, possibly based on the live shows of theirs that I have recently seen, where I really liked every new song that I heard, I was expecting to love every track on this album. Not quite the case, but again I applaud the way they follow their creative muses, and attack every track with an imaginative fury. Perhaps, for me at least, they will never make an album that works to my personal tastes, from top to bottom. That's okay though, as they are certainly one of the most fresh, innovative and ferociously uncompromising young prog bands out there. And they are so good live, too.

Curious on others's thoughts.

neil

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Too early for me to comment yet as I'm only three listens in so far. Initial impressions are that it is continuing their expanded exploration & that I like most of the tracks. Don't know how it stacks up to the last two yet.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

It has been discussed in this thread:

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...ng-while/page8

...although there was no thread exclusively about this new album.

My thoughts? Album of the year for me so far, and I expect it to at least stay in the "top 3" by year's end. Insides In has an incredible atmosphere, I think it's my favourite track. Time Deer, Land Animal, Holy Ghost, Terror Bird, Hole... these are all killer tracks too IMO. Boxes is a very interesting closing track too, a track about death as seen from the eyes of someone with dementia. The vocals just kind of fade away, the music eventually drifts off, and the 'heartbeat' (drums) eventually stops too. Very cool, and deep stuff.

There have been two live versions released so far (the whole album was played live during this shoot, so I hope it all eventually sees the light of day)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIcTchfB8To

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9QAlYV6qsY

...and an official video for Terror Bird as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44juYfgipU4

I did an interview with Courtney about this album a month or so ago and the whole band is very proud of/excited by it, as well they should be. It is every bit as good as Say So and Shiny Eyed Babies, if not even better.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

There have been two live versions released so far (the whole album was played live during this shoot, so I hope it all eventually sees the light of day)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIcTchfB8To

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9QAlYV6qsY
    I was sitting on the floor 3 feet behind the cameramen for that shoot.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I like it but I also think that previous two albums were stronger. This one seems to be little bit more tame and mainstream.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    They're coming to my town...but on a Friday night at 10 pm after an opening act. I'm afraid I will be long ZZZZZZ by time they hit the Iron Horse stage.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I haven't listened to the new one yet, but I agree with the OP that on album the band doesn't quite live up to the live experience. Probably just a testament to how powerful they are live.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    They're coming to my town...but on a Friday night at 10 pm after an opening act. I'm afraid I will be long ZZZZZZ by time they hit the Iron Horse stage.
    Wow, that's a new one, lol. No disrespect, and maybe you get up super early on Saturdays, but if a Friday night, at the ghastly hour of 10 PM (sarcasm emoticon) isn't do-able, not sure what else a band can do!

neil

Insides In has an incredible atmosphere, I think it's my favourite track.
    I agree, that this is a great track. It just drips with power and atmosphere. They did it live, the last time I saw them, and about half-way through the song, where it sits on an ethereal keyboard bit, Gavin and the rest came in so hard on a hit on his toms, that a couple of people around me actually jumped, because they were so startled. That is how you use dynamics, to great effect, I'd say!

And thanks for the background info on Boxes. Very interesting. Do you be chance, happen to know what Good Girl, the last track on Say So, is about? That song creeps me out.

neil

I gave it a spin and I guess I am out. I never was the biggest fan but they are moving into a direction I dont like.

I am a fan of the band.
    Almost all of Land Animal has been part of the live performances for the last year.
    After 3 or four listens, I am still preferring the live performances.
    Just saw them a couple of weeks ago, and have a live recording from before that so I have fresh memories available.
    I would not say that I dislike the Land Animal versions, just that there is a deficit of energy or something like that.
    Not the same feelings about Say So and Shiny Eyed Babies, more equivalent energy live and recorded.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    thanks for the background info on Boxes. Very interesting. Do you be chance, happen to know what Good Girl, the last track on Say So, is about? That song creeps me out.
    Largely about how women are sidelined by some aspects of society, right from a young age when they are told to smile pretty and not to "think too much". Very moving song IMO.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm not convinced yet. Say So was much more immediate.
    The Prog Corner

OK, they're more a live band than a studio band (which wouldn't be the case without studio wizard Vince's ability to replicate a shitload live).

Nice to have the albums for between the gigs.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Largely about how women are sidelined by some aspects of society, right from a young age when they are told to smile pretty and not to "think too much". Very moving song IMO.
    Makes sense. Not sure that I should admit this, lol, but I was actually thinking along the lines of something much darker. Someone being kidnapped and then tortured...something like that. Possibly, I watch a lot of horror movies...

Thanks for the info.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I'm not convinced yet. Say So was much more immediate.
    Interesting. I found Say So to be their least immediate release. It took a lot of spins for things to open up, for me. Although I still find it kind of uneven, I enjoyed the journey of getting to know it.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I gave it a spin and I guess I am out. I never was the biggest fan but they are moving into a direction I dont like.
    Totally fair. Not a band for everybody (then again, what band is). I have a couple of friends who have issues with the vocals. I mean, for me, and I imagine a lot of people here, Courtney's vocals are one of the absolute strong points of this band. Her voice is so breathtaking in a live environment. I will say, that I prefer when she uses her really high range...almost screeching, when it is put to effect, to serve the song. For example, at the end of Terror Bird, when things are getting intense and crazy, it is absolutely chilling.

neil

Totally fair. Not a band for everybody (then again, what band is). I have a couple of friends who have issues with the vocals. I mean, for me, and I imagine a lot of people here, Courtney's vocals are one of the absolute strong points of this band. Her voice is so breathtaking in a live environment. I will say, that I prefer when she uses her really high range...almost screeching, when it is put to effect, to serve the song. For example, at the end of Terror Bird, when things are getting intense and crazy, it is absolutely chilling.

neil
    YUP!!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Didn't find a thread on this, so thought I'd start one myself. Not sure what to make of the new release yet. There is stuff on it I absolutely love, stuff I'm perplexed by, and stuff that I'm not sure I'll ever get into, lol. It just shows the variety of material, I suppose, that this band is capable of. I love the production on it, and how each song flows almost seamlessly into the next. The song-writing is strong and confident, and Courtney's lyric writing is as intriguing as ever.

For some reason, possibly based on the live shows of theirs that I have recently seen, where I really liked every new song that I heard, I was expecting to love every track on this album. Not quite the case, but again I applaud the way they follow their creative muses, and attack every track with an imaginative fury. Perhaps, for me at least, they will never make an album that works to my personal tastes, from top to bottom. That's okay though, as they are certainly one of the most fresh, innovative and ferociously uncompromising young prog bands out there. And they are so good live, too.

Curious on others's thoughts.

neil
    I don't have the new one yet, but what you wrote is pretty much exactly how I feel about their last two albums. Some tracks I like and some not so much. Live they totally captured me at ProgDay. I need to get the new album ordered.

After some more listening I need to modify my previous comment.
    I was allowing a small amount of material cloud my impression of the whole album.
    Like that Never happens.
    Sometimes the recording just reaches out and grabs you. Sometimes it take a couple of listens.
    The music had already grabbed me, just a versioning issue.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

It's perfect; their best yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I like it but I also think that previous two albums were stronger. This one seems to be little bit more tame and mainstream.
    I agree. And it's arguably not because they moved from a glorious label onto a less so. I was simply hoping they'd develop their more intriguingly idiosyncratic aspects, not the straighter ones.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Jon Neudorf
    For those who have never heard the band's music before, like me, there sound does seem quite adventurous. Have only heard a few tracks, need to dig in more.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I agree. And it's arguably not because they moved from a glorious label onto a less so.
    That's too coincidental to be a coincidence.

There is a positive aspect of the label change though: a live album is very likely to happen sooner or later. Hopefully sooner than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I agree. And it's arguably not because they moved from a glorious label onto a less so. I was simply hoping they'd develop their more intriguingly idiosyncratic aspects, not the straighter ones.
    That's my assessment, put in words I would not have thought to use.

I have a couple of friends who have issues with the vocals. I mean, for me, and I imagine a lot of people here, Courtney's vocals are one of the absolute strong points of this band. Her voice is so breathtaking in a live environment. I will say, that I prefer when she uses her really high range...almost screeching, when it is put to effect, to serve the song. For example, at the end of Terror Bird, when things are getting intense and crazy, it is absolutely chilling.
    I like Courtney's vocals and playing, but on my first listen I couldn't help but feel that this effect was overused, and it was frankly starting to detract from the overall experience.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.