Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BENT KNEE- Land Animal

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    That's too coincidental to be a coincidence.

There is a positive aspect of the label change though: a live album is very likely to happen sooner or later. Hopefully sooner than later.
    As someone who's followed the band for a few years, I remember when Say So was released ... "it's TOO experimental! Shiny Eyed was better!"

To me, it's a continuation of the same band, same vision ... they aren't changing radically, they are honing their style and compositions. I personally like the more immediate aspects of this release; the guitar is up front and so are the drums. It's a pop rock album. The band aren't trying at all to be prog ...
    Last edited by zombywoof; 07-09-2017 at 09:47 AM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    had my first full listen to the album, and I listened to the song Hole about five times yesterday. I'd already heard a few of the songs before when watching the live and "official" videos and at ProgDay. Hole caught my ear right away and while it's too quirky to really consider it simply pop, if they've made things slightly more accessible on this album that's a good thing IMO. Like Hands Up from Say So, I feel like it ought to have a single edit that's longer than the album track!

Anyway, I need to get to the rest but it sounds great to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    That's too coincidental to be a coincidence.

There is a positive aspect of the label change though: a live album is very likely to happen sooner or later. Hopefully sooner than later.
    You might be right. Maybe a live album with a live DVD?

BTW, what's the connection between InsideOut and SONY Music?
    Last edited by JKL2000; 07-09-2017 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I remember when Say So was released ... "it's TOO experimental! Shiny Eyed was better!"
    Exclusively by folks who'd most likely need to be forced into hearing something genuinely radically "experimental" - such as some of the other rock bands recording for the label who released Say So.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

In the case of this band, what appears to be an oxymoron needs further scrutiny: "Stifling creativity in the name of prog".
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

The band aren't trying at all to be prog ...
    I'd say that they are, but in a relatively subtle way. It's more a matter of going to an unexpected chord. Or changing keys when the feeling calls for it, but someone more formulaically hit-oriented or less imaginative wouldn't. Or devising accompaniments as something more than inconspicuous showcases for the vocal. Or throwing in an extra section when, again, the music wants it but most bands/producers wouldn't recognize that, and might actively resist the temptation even if they did hear the musical need. Or hitting the occasional odd cross-rhythm or other piece of musical elaboration just because it sounds cool. And more.

Think of a very modern version of mostly-pop-but-sort-of-prog artists, like Supertramp, early solo Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush, the Moody Blues, maybe Pink Floyd, maybe even the Beatles. Bent Knee just don't sound much like any of those because they draw on 30-to-40 more years of music: Ben has clearly played quite a bit of jazz as well as pop-funk; Courtney draws from contemporary pop "divas" like Adele and Lady Gaga as well as singer-songwriters like Tori Amos and Ani DiFranco; Gavin may be the band's resident proghead but he's also clearly a hip-hop fiend; and I suspect Vince loves electronica and other genres that didn't even exist back then, because the instruments hadn't yet been invented. And, like many of the old-time prog bands, part of their impetus for doing all this is that they're better musicians than your typical pop-rock band, know quite a bit more about music, and they've decided to play what they hear and want to, rather than simplify their music for easy marketability.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 07-09-2017 at 04:06 PM.

As someone who's followed the band for a few years, I remember when Say So was released ... "it's TOO experimental! Shiny Eyed was better!"
    Say So is my favourite one! Experimental is good.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

It was never really the experimentation that appealed to me about Bent Knee, it was their ability to reach me on a deeply emotional level. Experimentation only really goes so far (and I DO think Say So is a wonderful album) ... BK were one of the bands that effectively ruined me for most progressive rock and experimentation for the sake of it. I felt like I'd reached the zenith and started looking elsewhere for music.

zombywoof - I 'think' that I do indeed understand your comments and where you are coming from. I go to musics in places/styles that I wouldn't have guessed some years back. Find it rather interesting at that!

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

It was never really the experimentation that appealed to me about Bent Knee, it was their ability to reach me on a deeply emotional level. Experimentation only really goes so far (and I DO think Say So is a wonderful album) ... BK were one of the bands that effectively ruined me for most progressive rock and experimentation for the sake of it. I felt like I'd reached the zenith and started looking elsewhere for music.
    I don't think the songs were any less fully formed on Say So than on Land Animal. But there was additional experimental edge that appealed to me. On Land Animal everything is just a bit more predictable and because of that not as interesting for me.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I don't think the songs were any less fully formed on Say So than on Land Animal.
    I liked the songs on their first two albums the most. Say So was IMO a downtick in the songwriting department, although made up for by the sheer intricacy of the arrangements.

The newest one is their weakest effort by far, to these ears at least, additionally marred by a generic "mainstream" production. However, my low rating may be a good omen for the band; many albums which I considered major letdowns (e.g. Dream Theater's Scenes from a Memory, Anathema's Alternative 4, Porcupine Tree's In Absentia) would turn out to be career's turning points, so I will not be surprised if Land Animal becomes their most successful outing to date.
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 07-11-2017 at 09:30 AM.

I hadn't heard of this band before this thread. Checked out a few tunes, found them interesting. But then I came across Being Human and it grabbed me and completely threw me into a loop. I listened to it repeatedly for two hours straight last night, just couldn't get enough of it. I can't even remember the last time that has happened to me (if it ever has) regarding music other than my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    I hadn't heard of this band before this thread. Checked out a few tunes, found them interesting. But then I came across Being Human and it grabbed me and completely threw me into a loop. I listened to it repeatedly for two hours straight last night, just couldn't get enough of it. I can't even remember the last time that has happened to me (if it ever has) regarding music other than my own.
    That is a killer track, for sure. If you want to explore the band, you should probably start with Shiny Eyed Babies, the album that track is from. Some still feel it is their best, and I'm not sure that I disagree.

Having listened to Land Animal a few more times, I do think that some of the best stuff they have ever done is on here. Terror Bird, Insides In, the title track....I just find the album as a whole, a bit uneven. But, that may be more of a musical taste thing on my part, and not related to the quality of the song writing. Another interesting release by them, as they continue what looks to be a wonderful career.

neil

Thanks, Neil. I'll give the album a shot.

In regards to Being Human, the version I was really enjoying last night was the live version from Forged Hand Works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0kl-gQucpI

It seems a bit more polished and produced than the other live version at The Record Co. Gawd, it's just so good it makes me ache.

^Awesome! And I agree that is a great version. This is another one of my favourite tracks from that same album.

neil

I hopped on last year with Say So, and it was a pretty solid release, and it got me to consider myself a fan. This new one however, is pretty disappointing to my ears. There are definitely some excellent moments in here, a lot that transcend the highest moments of the last one, but there's no single song on this release that truly grabs me all the way through. The pop moments are definitely poppier, and are indeed excellent and powerful, but I feel like a lot of momentum is lost whenever the obligatory "prog" section comes in, which oftentimes feels out of place within the songs. I'm all for throwing avant-garde leanings into more accessible work, but I think the band needed to spend a little more time ironing this one out.
    A vie, a mort, et apres...

I personally find the new one endlessly addicting, but I say that about all their work. Whatever they've released most recently is my favorite!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I've been spinning it over and over again myself - as well as the previous albums since this new one put me in a 'phase'. I'm kind of surprised by a few of the comments I've read here to be honest. The album is outstanding IMO.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

related:

Courtney Swain sings on JP Bouvet (The Super Pilots, Mike Linden, and recently Steve Vai), new band Childish Japes debut single:

https://www.moderndrummer.com/2017/0...es-youre-born/

Just saw these guys live last night without being all that familiar with their material. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I feel like they are a bit overly enamored with the sound they produce, to the detriment of some of the songs (i.e. melody + harmony + rhythm) but they're still young. The bassist blew me away. Absolutely spot on with every note she played, and her harmony vocals were on point as well. Very, very impressed with her, and I definitely have my eye on them as they develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Land View Post
    I feel like they are a bit overly enamored with the sound they produce, to the detriment of some of the songs (i.e. melody + harmony + rhythm) but they're still young.
    That's an interesting comment. I think, at least from my perspective, the sound they can produce, enhances most songs. Sometimes, to the point of getting visual/audible reactions from the audience. And I mean in a good, 'wow' kind of way, not a, 'well, that was impressive but didn't add to the song', kind of way.

I agree with you 100%, that Jessica is a very tasteful bassist. Always adding to the song, never just playing stuff, for the sake of it. Which, really is how they all approach the music. Ben could play a lot of notes, if he chose to.

neil
    Last edited by boilk; 07-17-2017 at 12:23 PM.

I too love the music, but have a problem with the vocals.... She can sing, and has a excellent voice, but I don't care for how she's singing... just my opinion.... :-)

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

Land Animal hasn't connected with me yet, but maybe I'm just not in the mood for it right now. I certainly love all the previous albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanukisbrave View Post
    I too love the music, but have a problem with the vocals.... She can sing, and has a excellent voice, but I don't care for how she's singing... just my opinion.... :-)
    That's where I'm at. The whole torch singer lounge chanteuse style doesn't work with the music for me.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    I think, at least from my perspective, the sound that can produce, enhances most songs. Sometimes, to the point of getting visual/audible reactions from the audience. And I mean in a good, 'wow' kind of way, not aa, 'well, that was impressive but didn't add to the song', kind of way.
    I see what you mean, and, obviously, YMMV. I guess I'm more of a traditionalist at heart. A beautiful melody impresses me more than a "unique" combination of sonic elements. Often, I feel, bands rely on a sonic "hook" to create the sound of the band instead of dressing distinctive, clean compositions with their own sonic elements. I hope that makes sense.

I hate to bring up Yes, but they were great because of their songs, which happened to be presented by a very weird-sounding group sonically (Anderson's voice, Bruford's drumming, Howe's guitar playing, etc.). With Bent Knee, I get the sense that it's a little too much about the fact that, hey, we have a guy doing live sound design! And a violinist! A little bit. Again, I'm not that experienced with the band...but I am interested enough having seen them live to follow up with some concentrated listening of their studio discography (so, I guess, mission accomplished for those guys).

Regardless of this minor criticism, I think that they're really fantastic, and I will definitely be keeping my eye on them in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Land View Post
    Often, I feel, bands rely on a sonic "hook" to create the sound of the band instead of dressing distinctive, clean compositions with their own sonic elements. I hope that makes sense.

With Bent Knee, I get the sense that it's a little too much about the fact that, hey, we have a guy doing live sound design!
    I kind of agree with you. But, in a way, that's what makes them sound up-to-date instead of retro - an awful lot of current pop music depends more on cool-sounding production electronics than on solid and distinctive writing. There seems to be a consensus that, "OK, if this is going to appeal to a lot of people, then it has to sound like a lot of other music, so we won't even try for a distinctive melody beyond the usual pentatonic groaning or bawling or wailing, we won't even try for chord changes beyond the usual not-strongly-functional vamps, and the difference will be in the sound". And while Bent Knee haven't gone all-in on that approach as far as most, they do get pretty close to it sometimes.